Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to 7.40 in this podcast Todd Howard talks about the PC version.

My link

Hopefully that will ease anyone's worries about the PC version. I think it will be great. :thumbsup:

Thank you, people need to do some research and stop complaining about how they "think" it's a port for PC. DO SOME RESEARCH, it irritates me when people make threads like this just because of the fact they are ignorant, if you would have googled it there would be no reason for this thread, oh well. People will be people.

Games are always created on a PC >.>, it's about the focus and that defines if you work from a console or PC perspective. Skyrim and oblivion are from the console perspective.

It is a port to the PC because its development is focussed from xbox then modified to work on the PC as well. Bethesda's doing a good job on their own ports and with oblivion working fine, no doubt skyrim will.

Being a port this time means little but the fact it won't be last gen, they've not made a secret of it that skyrim won't be the new next-gen game like oblivion strived for.

Not that I own the console, but I wonder if they'll port it to PS3 themselves or will let another company do it like with oblivion :ermm:.

and yes I'm fully away the ' a port means little' is big again if you put the dx11 story in it ;), but I already expected the visual quality of the game wouldn't be perfect and just upgraded.

Edited by Pronam

Games are always created on a PC >.>, it's about the focus and that defines if you work from a console or PC perspective. Skyrim and oblivion are from the console perspective.

It is a port to the PC because its development is focussed from xbox then modified to work on the PC as well. Bethesda's doing a good job on their own ports and with oblivion working fine, no doubt skyrim will.

Being a port this time means little but the fact it won't be last gen, they've not made a secret of it that skyrim won't be the new next-gen game like oblivion strived for.

Not that I own the console, but I wonder if they'll port it to PS3 themselves or will let another company do it like with oblivion :ermm:.

and yes I'm fully away the ' a port means little' is big again if you put the dx11 story in it ;), but I already expected the visual quality of the game wouldn't be perfect and just upgraded.

And if I may add, in the podcast that Jendo7 posted, Todd is talking about how they are creating content on PC, then porting it to console to test it, and then again port it to PC.

This may sound like the usual PC port, but when he said it, it did sound like he is intending to do good for the PC version of Skyrim. And he said that most of the dev team play it on PC.

The PC version is in good hands, look back at Bethesda's PC games, they were all great.

I like holding the spell in the left hand while wielding the sword... wonderful for my Antamages... better yet empowering it with both hands ... "Haduken!"

Lol when I saw the double handed lightning shot I was like "HADUKEN!"

:excl: Anton, for your own sake please, step back, look at what you're saying, and then maybe apologise to the people you've needlessly offended. Seriously mate, you really, really need to think about what you're saying-cool your temper for starters, and then really have a serious think about what you're actualy saying.

Remember this: the first games were arcade games, from arcade came console, games simply migrated onto PC as a matter of course, the PC isn't the home of gaming mate, no matter how much you want to think it is, consoles have been the heart of gaming since the decline of arcades, and that's very very unlikely to change. Does that make them superior? no, because you can actualy play both pc and console without turning into a purple goat.

I for one am proudly a console gamer, my gaming career started on console back in '99 with an N-64. Console has a long and worthy history, with some of the greatest games of all time being console exclusive, or designed initialy for console then ported over to PC. I have a PC now and am a frequent enough user of it to be described as a PC gamer, but I am at heart a balanced gamer-PC, Xbox(Yes, I have a 360, and no, It's never RROD'ed on me, it's only ever needed repacing once, and that was after it was dropped down three flights of stairs by a clumsy removalist), and occasionaly PS2(yes, I have one and yes it still works after 7 years) Does that make me braindead in your eyes? probably, but I assure you, you're the one who's mistaken here. If you seriously think that console gamers are somehow inferior, then you need to grow up and learn that the world's full of all sorts, and that you won't get far in life with such an aggressive, intolerant attitude.

Take this as an intervention Anton, you aren't impressing anyone here, and by trying to wear the PC gaming banner as a cape, you're dragging it through the mud. Learn tolerance or eventualy life and karma will see that you're made to regret your lack of it. Intolerance and inability to listen aren't virtues mate, the sooner you learn that, the better. Peace out. :excl:

I know this was said days ago but I have to make a point here just to shed some light on what I feel is a major miscommunication going on here. PC and Console "elitists" aside, What I see from a lot of the people upset about this, and this could be wrong, is that people who play this game on the PC version are worried about the legitimate concerns in the reduction of quality of their version of the game. I understand that you like to play this game with controllers, but myself and lot's of other people who play it prefer using mouse an keyboard. I own an Xbox and Wii, in fact I was a hardcore Console gamer before I got into PC gaming. But now I don't play on either of them because I found much more enjoyment in playing games on the PC. But does that mean that the Xbox and Wii are not enjoyable or an inferior medium for gaming then the PC? No, to each there own, some people really get immersed in games when relaxing on a couch rather then staring at a screen 2 feet in front of them, and that hold just as much value to them as being very close to the action of a game on a monitor.

In your posts on this topic you come across as sounding incredibly arrogant and "elitist" as well, righting a very long paragraph about how many consoles you play and how that makes your way of playing the game more valid then others, and then in the paragraph right below it you talk down to someone about putting on the "banner of PC gaming" as a cape. Again, that might not be what you were intending but it sure came across that way. Can people please just stop budding heads over this stuff and respect that other people might have differences in play-style and things that fulfill them in general. It only creates unproductive flame wars. :/

That "war" between PC and Console gamers is most of times fueled by misinformation. First and foremost, both are computers... so must be something more than just graphics power and technical features.

From it's beginning, games developed to arcade and in a way, to consoles as well, tended to be quick games, platform like and action driven, if not for another reason for lack of easy way to save the progress. This changed when memory cards were introduced but still very limited.

Soon enough the RPGs made the way into them, crawling but steadily, a few were direct port of PC games, like the Ultima IV for Master System, but at this time CRPGs began to be produced directly to consoles, most of them came from Japan and created a proper genre that many people coming from P&P RPGs refused to recon as real RPGs. The JRPG as became known were normally strongly linear and history driven (what is not per si a bad thing).

To add to the problem, the interaction was simplified to fit into the limited controller's capacity strengthening the tendency to "action" oriented games, and again it fitted the profile of the common console user, mostly in younger ages than the PC users, in those days.

Nowadays is much easier to find youngsters on PC (actually adults too, since PC became cheaper and affordable to almost everyone) and the Internet had a major role in popularize it to everyone. Although obviously there are exceptions, these youngsters prefer action games to something like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment -- that's the real concern to those which, "knowing", fear the coming of console oriented games to the PC world, and with a fair deal of reason... concern about becoming a question of graphic quality, quick pace, focus on action... and too linear story and reduced interactivity.

Notice the concern about becoming a question of "graphic quality" above "game quality" is not fault of the gaming console, in fact, but... recurs paragraph.

Finally there are some who are concerned about the modability of their favorite game, this last a real and objective concern.

PS: If the word "action" was repeated too much, it was on purpose.

Edited by nosisab

In the previous post I might left the impression of disliking action games, not at all. The case was about fear of making Strongly interactive games into action games. Is the case for example of Dragon Age: Origins, which was supposed to be the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate...

But, let's analyze the TES V: Skyrim case... This concern about porting is a tad more strange because the TES origin IS (or would be, one can argue) like an action game. Arena was to be the player fighting in every arena in every city across Tamriel until becoming the Grand Champion of the Imperial City.

TES was strengthening it's position as an action-RPG, with Morrowind it "almost" lost the action part to become something more like RPG but not totally and with Oblivion it was again more an action-RPG as ever.

In TES case it is not even about becoming an action game... it would more concern about losing more of the RPG part in exchange for yet more action...

Although I'd love to think it becoming a pure RPG, I fear it is bad idea in this particular case. Let's hope Skyrim keeping a good balance in it's natural Action-RPG nature. The kind of equilibrium achieved in Morrowind.

Edited by nosisab