Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

Skyrim is a port for PC

So what? Oblivion was designed for the console too but that didn't stop it from being not only a great RPG but also a modding masterpiece that earned "Game of the Year" title. The power of the Construction Set by itself can be considered the game and Oblivion just an example! The vast majority of other games you can buy don't even have 30 hours of gameplay in them whereas Skyrim has over 300+ built-in (and that doesn't include mods)!

I REALLY REALLY hope that this doesn't affect the PC version at all. Hopefully it will support dx11, at the very least dx10, and a UI for PC.

They said it will "support" DX11 however, they will not utilize all the features. I also heard that the PC version will also feature a bump in the textures although it won't be leaps and bounds better than the console.

Here are the facts:

1. Console games are where they make their money...not PC games (who's fault is that?)
  2. The PC version will also have an SDK to extend the game with mods....e.g. PC version > Console version
  3. The developers saw what mods were popular for Oblivion and incorporated those into the next game to make it that much better
  4. The game has dragons. Nuff said.

So even though their bread is buttered by the console franchise, they still cater to the PC market even though it is a small part of their income. If their games were PC-only, I will wager they would not be able to crank out games at the speed and quality they are now and if they did, they would probably become bankrupt and the TES license could sit in permanent limbo.

I for one an pre-ordering this bad-boy. (and yes Battlefield 3 looks to be all kinds of awesome...another must-have game)

LHammonds

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. If you are still mad because it's a console port, just remember that we PC players have mods and the console players don't. :devil:

Yeah yeah, quit reminding me. But hey, I'll be more than happy to receive $2000 from someone to get a decent computer.

a decent computer for 2000? for 2000 you can build a monster of a PC. nvidia has a nice guide to pc builds http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Guides/hardware-buyers-guide.

Ahhh...but still, alas, the fundage have I not.

When Oblivion came out, I played it on a Pentium 4 with an AGP video card. Since then, we've had dual cores, quad cores, hyperthreading quad cores and now a second generation of hyperthreading quads. The lastest video card generation has 6 times? the power of that AGP card I was using for Oblivion.

Meanwhile, consoles haven't improved in six years.

A port when consoles were new is different from a port when they are six years old. PC's have continued to advance.

The big gripe is people whining even before anything has properly surfaced. From what I've seen of gameplay videos so far, the game looks amazing. That kinda blows your argument out of the water, no?

When Oblivion came out, I thought it looked amazing. Now, playing the Witcher 2 and then playing Oblivion, Oblivion looks like a six year old game.

Bethesda keeps saying they are better with the hardware (Xbox/PS3) than they were six years ago, but it is still the same hardware. It can't compute any faster, or draw any faster. They may be able to make Skyrim look better than Oblivion but it won't be nearly as good as it could look if it were designed for 2011.

When I watched the E3 footage, the main thing that struck me was how empty it looks compared to Witcher 2. But, more foliage, more NPC's, more stuff requires greater processing and graphics power and Xbox and PS3 don't have that.

I'm still looking forward to the game. Hopefully it will be fun and there will be lots of great mods. It just won't be what it could be because they couldn't wait for the next console generation.

But TES was never designed for its graphics. It's always been about going into a strange cave and discovering a tiny piece of lore, or talking to a certain NPC and hearing a funny and memorable story. It's never been about the graphics, it's been about the content. Moaning because the graphics isn't on 2011 standard is pretty asinine and shows that you overlook the core features of the series.

But TES was never designed for its graphics. It's always been about going into a strange cave and discovering a tiny piece of lore, or talking to a certain NPC and hearing a funny and memorable story. It's never been about the graphics, it's been about the content. Moaning because the graphics isn't on 2011 standard is pretty asinine and shows that you overlook the core features of the series.

Oblivion is the only TES game I've played.

Compared to a game like Baldur's Gate 2, I didn't find the gameplay to be as interesting. BG2 is a party game and party interaction is one of the things I really enjoy. There were some really great mods that were designed for Oblivion that brought that element to the game. Out of the box, Skyrim won't have that.

The graphics won't be bad, they won't be as good as they could be but they won't be bad. Gameplay will be pretty good. Once companions are added, it will be a lot more fun for me.

I guess my reply to you would be that different people enjoy different aspects of the game. Oblivion to me had pretty good gameplay and excellent visuals and it was the visuals that kept me playing as much as the story. I don't think I'll be wowed like that this time because graphically, I think the game will be inferior to a number of PC titles like Witcher 2 that are better designed to take advantage of current PC hardware.

In that case you really should try Morrowind. :D Oblivion did the combat and gameplay right, but it was lacking in actual content. I would say it had more than 50% less content than Morrowind. In Morrowind, if you entered a cave, you were almost guaranteed to find something interesting in there. It gave you reason to go exploring, whereas Oblivion often just had dungeons filled with bandits/monsters and nothing else really. The amount of lore that existed in Morrowind was amazing. What's even better is you can find mods that brings all the visuals up to a more recent standard. Just search Morrowind 2011. :P

From the sounds of it, it seem Skyrim is going to be more like Morrowind than Oblivion, which is an excellent thing.

Edited by Halororor

In that case you really should try Morrowind. :D Oblivion did the combat and gameplay right, but it was lacking in actual content. I would say it had more than 50% less content than Morrowind. In Morrowind, if you entered a cave, you were almost guaranteed to find something interesting in there. It gave you reason to go exploring, whereas Oblivion often just had dungeons filled with bandits/monsters and nothing else really. The amount of lore that existed in Morrowind was amazing. What's even better is you can find mods that brings all the visuals up to a more recent standard. Just search Morrowind 2011. :P

From the sounds of it, it seem Skyrim is going to be more like Morrowind than Oblivion, which is an excellent thing.

Many times I've almost purchased Morrowind. Then, I look at the old graphics and put it back on the shelf. I'll check out Morrowind 2011 and see what that looks like. Thanks for the advice.

Art direction is more important than technological greatness.

Take oblivions faces... a custom face texture at stock sizes, if worked on, will look leaps and bounds better than the vanilla one...

Another example:

http://i.imgur.com/wQ13k.jpg

Look how much of the character is there, how every memorable detail is there. On a tiny tiny 256x256 map. At 667 tris.

So sure, the textures in skyrim aren't big, but from what we've seen, the want to make textures that look good rather than look good enough is there. Or just plain better artists. Who knows.

Also one good thing about consoles being king: Not having to upgrade my rig every two years in order to play the new games.

Edited by Ultimatepurge

PC version > Console version

You have my eternal gratitude for that.

Well, that was purely stated as facts. Even if the game plays exactly the same between both platforms, the PC has the advantage because of the SDK and mods. There is simply more to do than the console version. If I had bought Oblivion for the xbox, I would have played it a while and would eventually be collecting dust like all my other xbox games.

The main thing for me when it comes to the xbox is being able to play in my living room as well as having others be able to play right beside me (party aspect). However, the vast majority of games I liked for the xbox were SP and very few have MP options. I have no interest playing against others online via their Internet service so that cuts down a lot of games that were designed that way (one person per xbox). Another factor I have to take into consideration now-a-days for the console is to not have anything that my kiddos should not be seeing (such as Bioshock).

But I digress, the whole "greater than" aspect wasn't fanboi-ism of the PC as much as it was more capability for the PC version for the same cash.

LHammonds