Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

<snip>

From the sounds of it, it seem Skyrim is going to be more like Morrowind than Oblivion, which is an excellent thing.

That is the impression I've been getting, I hope Mr Howard isn't speaking out of his rear end again.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was purely stated as facts. Even if the game plays exactly the same between both platforms, the PC has the advantage because of the SDK and mods. There is simply more to do than the console version. If I had bought Oblivion for the xbox, I would have played it a while and would eventually be collecting dust like all my other xbox games.

The main thing for me when it comes to the xbox is being able to play in my living room as well as having others be able to play right beside me (party aspect). However, the vast majority of games I liked for the xbox were SP and very few have MP options. I have no interest playing against others online via their Internet service so that cuts down a lot of games that were designed that way (one person per xbox). Another factor I have to take into consideration now-a-days for the console is to not have anything that my kiddos should not be seeing (such as Bioshock).

But I digress, the whole "greater than" aspect wasn't fanboi-ism of the PC as much as it was more capability for the PC version for the same cash.

LHammonds

Exactly that.

With a PC you get a lot more of content, and I see the consoles as what they are, gaming consoles. No more no less.

They are more comfortable, since they turn on a lot faster, and overall have this nice and clean look. Basically, they are only for fun.

With a PC you get the fun too, and with the extra money you pay for hardware, you get software that you can use for your advantage to learn new things, and modify already existing things, in this case, games.

Overall, as you already said, the PC has a lot more capability, and potential that has yet to be used.

Fanboism is a curse, brought to us by trolls, and we have to live with it.

I hate when a single comment " *** is better than *** " evolves into a almost endless war.

There is no need for that, and it won't make anything better, it is just so someone can prove that he is the best, and that the product he uses is better.

Why don't people get that?

Am I wrong in this, but doesn't the X in xBox mean Direct X? Wasn't the system first called Direct X Box when it was first envisioned within Microsoft? I might be wrong with all of this, but I don't think I am. I am still learning about the technologies, just started school for game programing, with aspirations in specializing in artificial intelligence, so game design and development is where I am starting. I did not read past the 4th page of this topic, due to the aggravation of the complaints about ports. I seen past Bethesda's work being great, and the PC modding community creating epic beauty from their great work. So please, port it to PC if need be, as long as it is available on PC. Or port it to the game stations, so that my girlfriend will have more desire to join me in such an epic joy of playing this game!!! As long as it is xBox, because she wants those gamer points (I hope the rewards are for role playing as well as mission completion).

People have stated a few things like facts, but have completely forgotten it is humans who make the decisions for what they want. Even if it isn't the best, people can and probably will still get it.

For me, Consoles are great for shooters and I still love Xbox live. For the PC, I take it up a step with games a console simply can't do like an MMORPG, or things like Starcraft II.

That is entirely my opinion of what is best for what. Just remember, you're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't mean it's a fact.

Edited by dwellufool

People have stated a few things like facts, but have completely forgotten it is humans who make the decisions for what they want. Even if it isn't the best, people can and probably will still get it.

By "people" I assume you are referring to me. The 4 things I listed are indeed fact. One of those facts is that a great many people choose the console which is an exercise of their opinion. I think you are confused and think this is some kind of debate as to which platform is better for everyone.

There is no single answer. To each their own. But there can be no dispute that people with gaming PCs will get more for their money with Skyrim for the PC than Skyrim for the console. However, some with gaming PCs still prefer the console version...still yet others prefer to have both.

Doesn't really matter. However, since I prefer the PC option, I will be supporting that platform by purchasing the PC version.

LHammonds

By "people" I assume you are referring to me. The 4 things I listed are indeed fact. One of those facts is that a great many people choose the console which is an exercise of their opinion. I think you are confused and think this is some kind of debate as to which platform is better for everyone.

There is no single answer. To each their own. But there can be no dispute that people with gaming PCs will get more for their money with Skyrim for the PC than Skyrim for the console. However, some with gaming PCs still prefer the console version...still yet others prefer to have both.

Doesn't really matter. However, since I prefer the PC option, I will be supporting that platform by purchasing the PC version.

LHammonds

I wasn't really talking to you, but you kind of see what I'm talking about considering you understand everyone has their own preference.

Well, I probably should have taken more time in the OP to explain some of my personal worries when it comes to ports, but I think I shall just articulate them here.

TL;DR: I'm a worrier

My main worry with every PC port is the stability of the product and how it works with different hardware. An excellent example of terrible stability and hardware compatibility issues would be Fallout: New Vegas. While Fallout: New Vegas is also buggy on consoles it was without a doubt on launch day more buggy on PC. From the whole Nvidia performance issues all the way to constant CTDs it was a pain for me, and I assume many others until they finally got around to optimizing performance while also increasing the stability of the game. Sadly this took about 4 (somewhere around there) weeks. The game corrupted my save when I was around level 20 and then I just stopped playing until those patches I previously talked about came around. While Obsidian is (in)famous for their buggy games this does not excuse their constant releases of unfinished games. Bethesda seems to be better when it comes to bugs however since Skyrim is being run on a new engine this has the possibility of creating a lot of bugs and/or conflicts with hardware/software such as screen tearing on high resolution monitors (I've seen some problems with console ports when it comes to this problem especially.) and AA being way more of a resource hog than it should be.

My second worry when it comes to PC ports is that they sometimes have terribly terribly ported controls/UI. I remember trying to play RE:4 on PC and it was abysmal, just abysmal. I don't think my words could even describe to you how much of a botch it was on PC. I think oblivion could have done a much better job when it comes to UI and from what I am seeing of the videos of Skyrim so far it still seems to be "consolized". I have heard rumors that Todd Howard said that they were going to make a different UI for PC, however until I see concrete evidence of that I will be skeptical. This issue however was able to be fixed by UI mods such as BTmod and DARNified UI. I am only hopeful that the UI in Skyrim will be able to edited to the extent it was in Oblivion.

My third and final reason for fearing/not liking ports is that they generally tend to not take full advantage of the hardware and APIs such as DX11 that PCs are capable of having. Who wouldn't want the game to look the best it can and for it be more immersive?

P.S. I am not saying that these things will happen, the majority of them most likely will not. This list of concerns are for those things which might happen in Skyrim, using examples of side effects of non bethesda developed games

Also, for those wondering I am not a "PC is the best in every single way the human brain can imagine compared to a console" person. I have many great things to say about consoles such as: they are stable, they boot up super fast and are easy to set up, they are more accessible price wise (most of the time) to PCs, and they are more popular which leads to more of your friends and family being on your friends list.

Edited for grammar and spelling mistakes.

Edited by Thelionheart

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

"Hey guys, that games gonna suck because the UI is big."

The game so far looks like everything Oblivion was supposed to be and more.

Edited by Halororor

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

"Hey guys, that games gonna suck because the UI is big."

The game so far looks like everything Oblivion was supposed to be and more.

Here's a pretty good example.

Took WAY to long just to quit the game. Also, to answer your question better a "consolised" UI would be one that has overly large text, only fits about 5 items on a screen, multiple categories that could be condensed into fewer categories, and generally uses a "list" instead of a grid.