Corrupt Saves - StrCount > 0xFFFF - CTD on load

bcsp

meh321 has just released a new version of his Crash Fixes mod (v.9). He believes that he got the parts of the StrCount bug fix that were missing in v.8.

I can't test this right now as my own setup is no longer breaking 65535 (so far), if anyone else wants to give it a spin though, here it is:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/?

Cheers!

yep and it seems to be working fine!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you've probably seen, at E3 Bethesda announced an updated, natively 64-bit version of Skyrim.

This would be an excellent time to contact / inform / lobby Bethesda representatives to make sure they are aware of this serious issue and address it for the new release. If they don't address it in the initial release our chances of getting this fixed go down. (Perhaps there are other pertinent future-minded technical concerns to raise, too?)

You all are doing fantastic work. Thank you for starting the topic, bcsp.

V10 of crash fixes has been working flawlessly for me. My game has not been this stable in a long time. The only problem I'm running into now is hitting the 3 gig memory limit. Hitting it while the game is running is pretty obvious - Heavy stuttering and missing textures and some time later a pop up message - "Skyrim has failed to allocate memory". Hitting the limit on a loading screen is a little more annoying - The same message pops up in the background but the load screen continues so I don't notice (ILS). Only check I have is pressing the console key results in a system beep when it's over limit.

64bit Skyrim should solve this problem happily. Can't wait. Feels like a golden age for Skyrim.

Hopefully someone at Bethesda is aware of the string table issue and will bump the count field to 32 bits. Should we be concerned by the fact that they have said that saves would be transferable from Skyrim 2011? A 16 bit number will 'fit' into a 32 bit field after all.....

Edited by bcsp

As you've probably seen, at E3 Bethesda announced an updated, natively 64-bit version of Skyrim.

This would be an excellent time to contact / inform / lobby Bethesda representatives to make sure they are aware of this serious issue and address it for the new release. If they don't address it in the initial release our chances of getting this fixed go down. (Perhaps there are other pertinent future-minded technical concerns to raise, too?)

You all are doing fantastic work. Thank you for starting the topic, bcsp.

i'll gladly contact Beth about this if i knew where. ya have a link to contact 'em?

gotta admit tho, i had no real interest in the Remastered, as i figured it was mainly a big boon for console users, and that we'd had access to the same, or better, for years now. did not realize Remastered would introduce a 64bit version. hopefully all that will translate over to PC and our mods. don't suppose i'd be able to just paste my Data folder into 64bit skyrim folder?

V10 of crash fixes has been working flawlessly for me. My game has not been this stable in a long time. The only problem I'm running into now is hitting the 3 gig memory limit. Hitting it while the game is running is pretty obvious - Heavy stuttering and missing textures and some time later a pop up message - "Skyrim has failed to allocate memory". Hitting the limit on a loading screen is a little more annoying - The same message pops up in the background but the load screen continues so I don't notice (ILS). Only check I have is pressing the console key results in a system beep when it's over limit.

64bit Skyrim should solve this problem happily. Can't wait. Feels like a golden age for Skyrim.

Hopefully someone at Bethesda is aware of the string table issue and will bump the count field to 32 bits. Should we be concerned by the fact that they have said that saves would be transferable from Skyrim 2011? A 16 bit number will 'fit' into a 32 bit field after all.....

i was under the impression that v10 of Crash has memory functionality to address limits, just like the skse and SMSE fixes. or is the 3gb limit you speak of, the same one i read about with Windows 10?

Must go back over my enb settings and make sure they're ok but Skyrim is still a 32bit app - it's going to crap out at 3.1GBs anyway.

As for mods working with Skyrim remastered I think someone at Beth said they "should basically work". Whatever that means. Still, you could not expect them to come out and say "All mods will 100% definitely work". It's asking for trouble.

And as for how to contact Beth, I have no idea.... Their forum maybe? Or maybe twitter might be better...?

• 1 month later...

Finding this thread finally managed to plummet my modding enthusiasm.

And i used to think the 255 plugin hard cap was already annoying enough.

My usual modlist starts out with around 64k strings, i happened to stumble upon this thread because after installing Sexlab Defeat module, i encountered the load-save crash issue.

Turns out that after installing said mod, my string count takes a leap to almost 30 million strings.

I'm done for now.

Edited by ArcboundX

Finding this thread finally managed to plummet my modding enthusiasm.

And i used to think the 255 plugin hard cap was already annoying enough.

My usual modlist starts out with around 64k strings, i happened to stumble upon this thread because after installing Sexlab Defeat module, i encountered the load-save crash issue.

Turns out that after installing said mod, my string count takes a leap to almost 30 million strings.

I'm done for now.

You couldn't have 30 million :D

There are already a couple of solutions. Sorry, I've been meaning to update the OP.

1. Download Crash fixes by meh321 - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/? - It has a workaround for the string table issue and allows > 64k strings. It should also make your game a helluva lot more stable. The only downside to it is that once your save goes over the 64k string count the save format changes slightly which causes the normal save script cleaners to not work anymore. Happily, markdf has made a new script cleaner - Resaver - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76776/

OR

2. Markdf also created a Restringing tool which should allow you to keep your string count under the 64k limit. You need to know what you are doing though, it's not for noobs. You can find the Restringer at the same link for the Resaver above.

As for the 255 plugin limit, it's pretty much a non problem these days thanks to Merge Plugins by Mator - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69905/?

EDIT: Updated the solutions section of the OP for clarity.

Edited by bcsp

You couldn't have 30 million :D

I do though http://imgur.com/a/jID4t :ninja: (unless i'm missing something, i guess it has something to do with the Crash Fix new format.)

I need to do more testing around, but i first encountered this after working with the SL Defeat module, as i mentioned, my StrCount hangs around 64k without it.

Also, regarding the Re-Stringer/Saver tools, thanks a lot for the heads up, i wasn't aware of their existence until just recently! I had been really adamant of continuing to test a corrupt save file because not being able to load it up using the traditional save editors was a real deal killer for me.

I'll give the Re-Stringer a go with a couple hand picked modules and report back.

Edit: I used ReStringer on a couple modules, and managed to reduce my string count to 59k, so for now that should do it, i'll try to lower it further for testing purposes though, thanks a lot for your input so far.

Edited by ArcboundX

• 4 months later...

with crash fixed install on mod list it is now certainly possible to have more than the 65,535 strings in a save and for the save to work I just started a new save with around 300+ mods in it and some heavy scripted mods in the list as well as 488 animations in a mod and the string count went to 230,424,574 and still able to load it in game