ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Preston stopped giving me things to do

maddelinebella

Preston stopped giving me missions to do, if i wanted him to to be my follower i am not given that option any more, he hardly interacts with me. why? the only thing i can think of is a while back i gave him a job at the settlement, did that break it, is there a way to fix it or do i have to go back 25+ hours to maybe fix it?

I am sure most people would love Preston to stop giving them new missions :) But anyway, I have given Preston plenty of jobs at Sanctuary, from farming to guard duty to ... well, just those two. Never had him "break" like that.

Could be a bug,but also be aware that doing things which influences a possible companion's affection negatively can come to a point where that character dislikes you so much the option to become a follower vanishes untill you've done enough stuff this character likes to get affinity again high enough to get the "follower" option back...

After I caused a large explosion, (you know the one) I can no longer find Preston, but about 50 lookalikes have turned up in Sanctuary and all they do is stand around near the workbench.

Could be a bug,but also be aware that doing things which influences a possible companion's affection negatively can come to a point where that character dislikes you so much the option to become a follower vanishes untill you've done enough stuff this character likes to get affinity again high enough to get the "follower" option back...

i have never done any thing he didint like, i have seen lots of Preston liked that, but if it were that it would explain why im not getting the follower option.

i do get tired of him endlessly sending me on missions but i only have a few more settlements to get but how do i if he does not send me on them. do i just go back in time to before this happened ? any other suggestions?

i have never done any thing he didint like, i have seen lots of Preston liked that, but if it were that it would explain why im not getting the follower option.

i do get tired of him endlessly sending me on missions but i only have a few more settlements to get but how do i if he does not send me on them. do i just go back in time to before this happened ? any other suggestions?

A lot of the time you can unlock settlements just by 'discovering' them and talking to the settlers (only settlement with a known bug is Nordhagen Beach, where sometimes the settlers don't start the needed conversation to get the unlocking quest. In that case, you won't get the quest from Preston either). Usually they'll tell you their problem; you solve it, and bibidi-babidi-boom, you've got another setlement added to the list. When getting your "mission" from the settlers themselves, there's also no need to involve Preston afterwards either (which, in fact, you never need to do, even when it says you need to talk to him after a settlement mission: the mission will show-up as finished after a couple of in-game days and will automatically add the experience points).

Preston is also not needed to get new missions: just go to the Castle (and make sure the Minutemen transmitter is functioning properly, with speaker activated) and you'll often get two to three missions in a row within a couple of minutes...

A lot of the time you can unlock settlements just by 'discovering' them and talking to the settlers (only settlement with a known bug is Nordhagen Beach, where sometimes the settlers don't start the needed conversation to get the unlocking quest. In that case, you won't get the quest from Preston either). Usually they'll tell you their problem; you solve it, and bibidi-babidi-boom, you've got another setlement added to the list. When getting your "mission" from the settlers themselves, there's also no need to involve Preston afterwards either (which, in fact, you never need to do, even when it says you need to talk to him after a settlement mission: the mission will show-up as finished after a couple of in-game days and will automatically add the experience points).

Preston is also not needed to get new missions: just go to the Castle (and make sure the Minutemen transmitter is functioning properly, with speaker activated) and you'll often get two to three missions in a row within a couple of minutes...

the minutemen transmitter is bugged as well the guy keeps saying fix the transmitter, i dont know how to deal with that i think read that there is a console command but im not familiar with using them so haven't had it working sense i i was probably lev 20ish i am now 63. but good to know i can go to the future settlements and start it up myself.

thank you

the minutemen transmitter is bugged as well the guy keeps saying fix the transmitter, i dont know how to deal with that i think read that there is a console command but im not familiar with using them so haven't had it working sense i i was probably lev 20ish i am now 63. but good to know i can go to the future settlements and start it up myself.

thank you

There's quite a few settlements which don't have settlers at all --some have raiders, others have ghouls or rats. Getting rid of the occupants gives access to the Work Shop.

And now for something, not completely different, but silly, maybe: have you checked if the Minutemen transmitter has enough power? It needs 10, me thinks. Sorry for stating the obvious. It's just that, well, sometimes one overlooks the little things...

Don't know about a console work-around to get the transmitter to work, sadly :(

K, so I found it's a bug alright. Has seemingly naught to do with the transmitter nor power, but with the guy responsible for use of the radio getting spooked during the "Old Guns" quest when you go to the basement of The Castle with ex-minutemenlady whats-er-name...