installing to a flash drive

can u install an OS to a flash drive? like use it as the SSD it is?

what happens if it falls out?

just wondering, cause i heard installing ur OS to an SSD makes for faster boot times and everything, and since an OS is only a few gigs, an 8gb flash would be plenty, and mad cheap.

so ya would this work? if so how would i go about it?

ahh yea, good point (on the whole speed thing) never really crossed my mind.

oh well it seemed like a good idea at first. cant wait for SSDs to come down in price

Most flash drives are too slow to even work with an OS....think mostly they are 15 MB/s read or something. But, they are good for Linux OS...I've ran Ubuntu and Damn Small Linux off of them...Windows would be more of a problem IMO

Any USB stick will be damaged over time from multiple read, write, and deletion. It all depends on what company you bought it from. Our friend gave us a generic 512 MB stick that we used to get drivers for when we had to re-format my family's computers. The thing died in a few months...CRC error. I'm guessing the higher grade ones last longer.

It's one of the reason's I haven't gotten a SSD yet (other than being a wee bit too expensive still). A lot of them say they can withstand millions of writes, fragmentation, etc...but I'm still skeptical. In another year or so, they will be cheaper, then maybe I will get one.

ive got an adata usb3 flash drive that runs at around 60mb/s read write is crap at 25mb/s the main problem ive found with usb3 is the fact that from time to time windows will say usb3 drive has been put in a usb2 port when its usb3 i was going to get a ssd but you can securely wipe them so went with a velociraptor

I'd boot an OS from a flash drive.

If I could then load it fully into RAM a la the "toram" boot option in linux bootloaders. ;)

This is why DamnSmallLinux etc are so blazing fast.