Fallout 4 Survival Mode Beta

SirSalami

I've only played about 15 minutes of survival mode, but it just seems so easy. There is way too much stuff. I didn't even leave Sanctuary and had almost a dozen stimpaks, half a dozen radaway and 10 bobby pins. And that was with a character with 2 luck. I would love to play survival mode with a good loot overhaul mod.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36105510. #36107130, #36108145, #36111230, #36111695, #36111880, #36112075, #36112165, #36112205, #36114300, #36114565, #36115285, #36116105, #36116520 are all replies on the same post.

Uthuriel wrote: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2952

Bethesda disabled the console in the "new" survival mode

good job -.-
HippeusOmega wrote: Yeah I was really suprised by this. I get they don't want gamers cheating but console is used for a lot more then cheating.
Zaxen069 wrote: wow that ..... sucks console to fun to mess with i mean i use for testing out mods i DL or if i feel liek fighting a bunch of npc's or something guess we'll have to wait for modders to renable it
calleb666 wrote: Console yeah, how many games give you this console option? The number close to zero. They obviously had their reasons to disable it, stop whining already
starfis wrote: Was it confirmed by someone official that the console is disabled as part of the Survival overhaul and not just as part of beta testing? I know they didn't disabled it during previous beta updates or during Automatron prerelease, but maybe they want to know what can happen without console interfering similar to disabling mods. If it truly is a "feature", this beta and all that crying about it may simply prove them that disabling it is not best idea. Cheating in singleplayer game is ruining only my own experience, if this is their only reason. And in the end, enabling console will probably take a second when the CK is released next month so who really care.
jet4571 wrote: And wait until you get stuck between 2 static objects and cant get out. No TCL command to get unstuck. Good Job Bethesda!
Skramel wrote: Yeah, cool, but clipping in stones and walls though...
Skramel wrote: don't be ridiculous. There such thing as "trainers", you know? But bugs and glitches still in this fn game, but now without console
popcorn71 wrote: On the one hand, I can understand Bethesda wanting to ensure that their beta test environment is 'clean' and reduce the amount of false bug reports brought on by irresponsible modding.

On the other hand they will never be able to test the robustness of their code without testing it real world situations (ie: with mods and console). I wouldn't want to be them when they finally decide to open up mod to consoles...
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - At this point, I'll be extremely surprised if full console modding ever happens. I think a lot of console players expect it to, but I think Bethesda really only intends to deliver simple mods like recolors. I mean, how will modders mod the console version? On PC and then port the mods over? On the consoles themselves? If on the consoles, then how? Bethesda's tools have always obviously been designed solely for keyboard/mouse. How will scripting work? What happens when consoles start crashing/freezing/bricking because of poorly scripted mods?

All I'm saying: console modding is going to be a far more complex undertaking than most realize. Maybe even more complex than Bethesda realizes, given that they jumped whole hog into the paid modding scene for Skyrim without thinking it through very well. Less than 24 hours after release, there was a legal issue.
Gambit77 wrote: kiss quality screenshots goodbye
Polydine wrote: makes sense, unlike other patches they need to check game balance as well as bugs.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Tantalus010
My understanding is that the only difference between the console and PC version of the game is the executable file. Bethesda uses a very modular, 'plug and play' approach to modding, so there is no technical reason why any mod that does not require changes to ini files or direct changes to the executable to work would not on both the PC AND the console versions of the game.

The issue of weather or not current console hardware can handle the overhead incurred from mods is a completely separate issue. Watching you Xbox fry its self trying to render all 4k textures isn't the same the game not loading the extra dll file required for script extenders to work.

The bottom line is that any 'normal' mod that only requires an esp/esm plus a few meshes and textures to work should work regardless of the hardware, so long is it does not make edits conflict with the edits made by another mod.
Zaxen069 wrote: @calleb666 Considering we had it from the start/ it's normal for Fallout/Elder Scroll Games it's a reasonable compliant + if you factor in how the console helps with some of the bugs in their games and really if you want to cheat with the console it's your choice hell if you wanted to you could just as easily cheat with mods

@popcorn - Oh I'm sure the file structure is similar, but console players can't even browse/edit their game files. Thus, they have no way of installing any mod that requires a manual installation (like ENB). Even if everything were plug and play, this is completely new ground and Bethesda is not known for releasing bug-free software. Hell, they're not even known for fixing all (or even most of) their bugs.

In response to post #36118980.

Gary112 wrote: I've only played about 15 minutes of survival mode, but it just seems so easy. There is way too much stuff. I didn't even leave Sanctuary and had almost a dozen stimpaks, half a dozen radaway and 10 bobby pins. And that was with a character with 2 luck. I would love to play survival mode with a good loot overhaul mod.

What? On regular modes, I start with around 4 luck and I'm lucky if I leave Sanctuary with 1 radaway, 1 bobby pin, and maybe 10 stimpacks.

So am I the only person who can't load into a save? I can't even start a new game I even have all my plug ins turned off and as soon as I load into a game it crashes to desktop. I reverted back to the normal version of fallout and the game works fine now but as soon as I went back into beta it crashes again.

In response to post #36116435. #36116935 is also a reply to the same post.

Mr_SpongeWorthy wrote: This sounds great. Hopefully Bethesda has just disabled console for the beta version. Unfortunately, Bethesda games seem to have enough bugs that console is needed, at least occasionally, just to correct things! It's definitely a mode I will use, but not if it means I'll be unable to use console for bug-fixing.
iamtoksic wrote: New Survival Mode: You can only opt into the survival once, to deter difficulty switching. The console is disabled.

I don't think access to the console is going to be an option when it goes live.

iamtoksic - It'll be reenabled for the full release. Bethesda games are too buggy to have that disabled permanently and they know it.

In response to post #36103150. #36103355, #36104240, #36108360, #36109005, #36109055, #36118685 are all replies on the same post.

printerkop wrote: No mods, no dice..disabled steam from the network for now.
Mods are way more important to me then silly gameplay mechanics.
woolanator wrote: its only activates if youre opted in on steam if not it wont download and apply it, youll know if you have it if it says "[beta]" next to your fallout 4 in steam

and they removed the mods for testing purposes
printerkop wrote: i understand all that, still no mods no testing for me.
HadToRegister wrote:

printerkop
i understand all that, still no mods no testing for me.

Just brilliant, and you'll be one of the people complaining that they didn't fix any bugs, because ytou refuse to play with the new patch sans mods to see if the patch fixes the UNMODDED game FIRST.

:golfclap:
xsugerdaddyx wrote: But what if you mod to add gameplay mechanics!?
hivKORN wrote:
to see if the patch fixes the UNMODDED game FIRST.

And which of Bethesdas Games was Bug free?
I remember Oblivion, without Mods = not proper
I remember Skyrim, without Mods = not proper
Fallout 3 and New Vegas, again, not proper without Mods
Especially they are all not fixed without the unofficial patches.
Hope some people will have slept off somtime.
printerkop wrote: This...

When i first bought Fallout 3, i couldn't get it to start at all, it took me 10 hours fiddling with ini files and installing VCredist fixes cause Bethesda in all their wisdom decided to release it with a BETA of a VCredist,,can't be more stupid.
And when i got it to work, it was stuttering like crazy, every other game played perfectly fine, i had a very fast PC.

Same with New Vegas, i havent even been able to get the steam version to work at all, not even after 7 updates, i actually had to search for a cracked exe to get my PAYED steam version to work, i mean WTF ?
And even then it was crashing every 5 minutes, i had to wait till NV stutter remover came out, just like with Fallout 3, and only 2 years later when NVAC came out, i was finally able to enjoy a crash free game.

And with Fallout 4 i only have aesthetical mods and mods that add some meshes for settlement building, no gameplay changing mods, so don't b&@*$ to me about my mods being able to interfere with the survival mode HadToRegister..go whine somewhere else.

And which of Bethesdas Games was Bug free?
I remember Oblivion, without Mods = not proper
I remember Skyrim, without Mods = not proper
Fallout 3 and New Vegas, again, not proper without Mods
Especially they are all not fixed without the unofficial patches.
Hope some people will have slept off somtime.

LOL,The Skyrim Legendary Edition (the effin final ultimate Skyrim bundle) released with major main quest breaking bug that had been introduced in the game within it's first month of life and was never officially fix. Thank god for the amazing modding community. If it wasn't for them I would still be standing by the western watchtower trying to eat my first dragon's soul which officially launches the main quest line.

In response to post #36119405.

Lurker163 wrote: I downloaded it realised it disabled mods and rolled back. Still my mods wont work. All my txt files are set correctly as they were but it still wont work. How frustrating.

I did the same and my mods work fine. Did you actually boot the game in beta mode?

In response to post #36105510. #36107130, #36108145, #36111230, #36111695, #36111880, #36112075, #36112165, #36112205, #36114300, #36114565, #36115285, #36116105, #36116520, #36119260 are all replies on the same post.

Uthuriel wrote: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2952

Bethesda disabled the console in the "new" survival mode

good job -.-
HippeusOmega wrote: Yeah I was really suprised by this. I get they don't want gamers cheating but console is used for a lot more then cheating.
Zaxen069 wrote: wow that ..... sucks console to fun to mess with i mean i use for testing out mods i DL or if i feel liek fighting a bunch of npc's or something guess we'll have to wait for modders to renable it
calleb666 wrote: Console yeah, how many games give you this console option? The number close to zero. They obviously had their reasons to disable it, stop whining already
starfis wrote: Was it confirmed by someone official that the console is disabled as part of the Survival overhaul and not just as part of beta testing? I know they didn't disabled it during previous beta updates or during Automatron prerelease, but maybe they want to know what can happen without console interfering similar to disabling mods. If it truly is a "feature", this beta and all that crying about it may simply prove them that disabling it is not best idea. Cheating in singleplayer game is ruining only my own experience, if this is their only reason. And in the end, enabling console will probably take a second when the CK is released next month so who really care.
jet4571 wrote: And wait until you get stuck between 2 static objects and cant get out. No TCL command to get unstuck. Good Job Bethesda!
Skramel wrote: Yeah, cool, but clipping in stones and walls though...
Skramel wrote: don't be ridiculous. There such thing as "trainers", you know? But bugs and glitches still in this fn game, but now without console
popcorn71 wrote: On the one hand, I can understand Bethesda wanting to ensure that their beta test environment is 'clean' and reduce the amount of false bug reports brought on by irresponsible modding.

On the other hand they will never be able to test the robustness of their code without testing it real world situations (ie: with mods and console). I wouldn't want to be them when they finally decide to open up mod to consoles...
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - At this point, I'll be extremely surprised if full console modding ever happens. I think a lot of console players expect it to, but I think Bethesda really only intends to deliver simple mods like recolors. I mean, how will modders mod the console version? On PC and then port the mods over? On the consoles themselves? If on the consoles, then how? Bethesda's tools have always obviously been designed solely for keyboard/mouse. How will scripting work? What happens when consoles start crashing/freezing/bricking because of poorly scripted mods?

All I'm saying: console modding is going to be a far more complex undertaking than most realize. Maybe even more complex than Bethesda realizes, given that they jumped whole hog into the paid modding scene for Skyrim without thinking it through very well. Less than 24 hours after release, there was a legal issue.
Gambit77 wrote: kiss quality screenshots goodbye
Polydine wrote: makes sense, unlike other patches they need to check game balance as well as bugs.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Tantalus010
My understanding is that the only difference between the console and PC version of the game is the executable file. Bethesda uses a very modular, 'plug and play' approach to modding, so there is no technical reason why any mod that does not require changes to ini files or direct changes to the executable to work would not on both the PC AND the console versions of the game.

The issue of weather or not current console hardware can handle the overhead incurred from mods is a completely separate issue. Watching you Xbox fry its self trying to render all 4k textures isn't the same the game not loading the extra dll file required for script extenders to work.

The bottom line is that any 'normal' mod that only requires an esp/esm plus a few meshes and textures to work should work regardless of the hardware, so long is it does not make edits conflict with the edits made by another mod.
Zaxen069 wrote: @calleb666 Considering we had it from the start/ it's normal for Fallout/Elder Scroll Games it's a reasonable compliant + if you factor in how the console helps with some of the bugs in their games and really if you want to cheat with the console it's your choice hell if you wanted to you could just as easily cheat with mods
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - Oh I'm sure the file structure is similar, but console players can't even browse/edit their game files. Thus, they have no way of installing any mod that requires a manual installation (like ENB). Even if everything were plug and play, this is completely new ground and Bethesda is not known for releasing bug-free software. Hell, they're not even known for fixing all (or even most of) their bugs.

Pretty sure in Saugus Ironworks offices there are a whole lot of chairs placed in the wrong direction so If you click on one and accidentally sit down you end up stuck half in/half out the wall and facing an instant-death drop down to the floor below you. Without the console or the quicksave this sort of thing is gonna be a huge pain in the Ar$e.

In response to post #36118980. #36119310 is also a reply to the same post.

Gary112 wrote: I've only played about 15 minutes of survival mode, but it just seems so easy. There is way too much stuff. I didn't even leave Sanctuary and had almost a dozen stimpaks, half a dozen radaway and 10 bobby pins. And that was with a character with 2 luck. I would love to play survival mode with a good loot overhaul mod.
Tantalus010 wrote: What? On regular modes, I start with around 4 luck and I'm lucky if I leave Sanctuary with 1 radaway, 1 bobby pin, and maybe 10 stimpacks.

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. I also opened one of the safes and found 25 pre war money.