Just a though... Horses?

MajaroniArt

The reason no horses are included is because all horses died in the lore.

That's actually never been answered fully. They are definitely extinct in Cali as Chris Avellone has stated, but with the appearance of Huxley's Donkey (I think his name was Huxley) in F2 it indicates that they might've survived. The two species have very similar needs and weaknesses.

Also, I'm fairly sure that there's a vault somewhere that is filled with genetic stock.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the Wiki: "Some Equidae appear to have survived the great war and only lived for a short time,becoming extinct in just under a century onwards. One such case is Pugsley,a donkey owned by a man named Irwin who was killed when is ranch was attacked by raiders around 2161"

Source:http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Equidae

Edited by Fenryr3001

One way of sneaking a few horses past the lore, would be via refugees from Europe. I gather that a few of these have cropped up now and again in-game, and unless something's been said about how they got to the America's (by boat over the Atlantic or by land across the Arctic) that obviously prevents it, then I suppose it's not impossible that a group of them managed to bring over a surviving horse or two.

Highly unlikely, of course, but the world of Fallout is packed to the rafters with Highly Unlikely, plus a hefty dose of Downright Impossible :D

One way of sneaking a few horses past the lore, would be via refugees from Europe. I gather that a few of these have cropped up now and again in-game, and unless something's been said about how they got to the America's (by boat over the Atlantic or by land across the Arctic) that obviously prevents it, then I suppose it's not impossible that a group of them managed to bring over a surviving horse or two.

Highly unlikely, of course, but the world of Fallout is packed to the rafters with Highly Unlikely, plus a hefty dose of Downright Impossible :D

Why it has to be horses?

what about pretty anything with a strong spine?

Why it has to be horses?

I'm thinking large domesticated riding lizard, say a more tame relative of the deathclaw.

[snip]

Why it has to be horses?

I'm thinking large domesticated riding lizard, say a more tame relative of the deathclaw.

Oh, I agree. But as people were talking about horses being extinct in the Americas, I though I'd point out a loophole in case someone really wanted to try a horses mod and hadn't thought of a lore friendly way of explaining it. But, yes, any ridable creature would be neat :smile:

Edited by AndyW1384

Is the official lore really that much of an issue anyway? Basically the whole point of modding is to make up your own lore for a game, if it doesn't fit in with the 'proper' lore, who really cares? As long as you have fun with what you're doing.

My New Vegas was/is a hodge podge of retrofuturistic, current day, Mass Effect style sci-fi and outright steampunk... I bloody loved every minute of it

Having played the orginal Fallouts (A while back admittedly), I cant say that I particularly remember anyone ever saying that horses are extinct. Its just more a case of them never being mentioned, the same could be said for many other species I'm sure. "Just because you cant see something..." and all that

I know Avellone said they're extinct and all, but I always kind of thought his answer was derived more from technical limitations, and the sheer fact that the question was even put forward to him. Otherwise he'd have probably not said anything about it, and we'd have that ambiguity to play with

Just my two cents anyway. If I'm suffering from some misinformation then fair enough, but my orignal point still stands... The mods you use are for your own personal game, set it up how you want, make your own lore, as long as you have fun playing it.

Maybe the person is a lore-nut or they are just a person going for maximum immersion (I am both),or they just like to keep the style of the game intact.I only keep to mods that fit the style Obsidian/Interplay was going for when they made Fallout.I wanna play Fallout,not Open-World Battlefield in the Mojave.

I think Motorcycles are the best thing to use.They aren't all that over the top,you can navigate them in the Urban Environments and they look cool.

Edited by Fenryr3001