People who played the beta survival overhaul, how was it? Is the new save mechanics satisfying or is it too frustrating? did you like that feature?

Bavarianberry

True. Something that helps though is you can bring up the sleep menu on a bed, hit (E) to sleep and then immediately cancel with (Tab) to save your game without actually sleeping an hour. This is useful for saving when building without burning daylight every time you want to save your progress.

Finally dinged lvl 15 although I haven't even done Corvega yet >_<

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay after thinking about it, there's a few things that personally would make survival mode really interesting and not monotonous. Some ideas are from this thread.

1. Saving in settlements. A reload from this save removes adrenaline bonus.

2. Save while waiting. Works similar to sleep with adrenaline.

3. Crippled limbs require doctor or doctors bag (like NV) not just another stimpak

4. Fast travel between settlements - this one I can take or leave.

5. Tell us what things actually do. Have a note on food and drink items that tell me if it's food or drink and it's bonuses, like Caffeine.

6. This next one is the game in general. Why do I need dirty water to cook some items? Why can't purified water do?

7. Recycle bottles when drunk. Even if it's one out of every four bottles. I mean, does my character eat the glass or something?

8. Don't require a stimpak to help companion if you're not in combat. A few times a companion has decided to run off a cliff and need my help. It can be frustrating.

9. Autosave upon completion of quest. Reload from this removes adrenaline bonus.

10. Being overly tired has similar effect as crippled arms and makes your gun sway.

Can't think of anything else right now.

3 I could do a mod for that fairly easy...

4 I like it being disabled, it forces me into some dire situations.

5 Is being addressed when they settle on all the tweaks.

6 because the coding can only be setup for one, you have to double the recipe to make one for each.

7 You get the bottle when you drink alchol, but the removal for water is a balance decision

@Hallgarth

1. I believe this is a design choice as adrenaline is directly tied to risk from losing time from your last save.

2. The number of chairs vs the number of beds means that would drastically change the save/risk dynamic.

8. I agree, companions need to be immune from falling damage because they are stupid.

9. I could be down with that

10. That's also a good idea

I cant wait for it, I try to enforce the rules but keep forgetting to eat for days(Ps4) No fast travel plus sleep saving can be brutal even demoralizing at points, though every time out it is indeed scary encountering a Deathclaw or the gunners, I like it.

I cant wait for it, I try to enforce the rules but keep forgetting to eat for days(Ps4) No fast travel plus sleep saving can be brutal even demoralizing at points, though every time out it is indeed scary encountering a Deathclaw or the gunners, I like it.

It is tough, but fair.

I'm agreed on this. Speaking plainly, I LOVE EVERY FEATURE Beth has put up in this mode. However, with the current instabilities the game still has (and I for one applaud Beth for adding so many "modded" features from Skyrim into the base game, but yes, I also am with the lot that the initial content for FO4 was lacking) I would like to see a system where features of the current survival build are "toggle-able."

This means that for those of us who WANT fast travel enabled, even though we rarely use it on our own accord, have that enabled for Real Life purposes, or settlement building purposes when we know that our video card drivers still cause us to crash way too often. I can't help but think of Chesko in this, in that he offered a mod, free of charge for the most part, that did this in Skyrim. And yet, now it is being included as a dev-house feature. In fact, a lot of the improvements I see in this current release feel like the base-game implementation of previous Skyrim mods into the base game, with improved initial release stability and pre-mod features being standard now at the expense of actual in game content (which speaking plainly, I have bought the season pass at "pre-hiked" prices, but in some sense, still feel should have been there for buyers of the initial FO4 release. In comparison, I would reply that Skyrim had way more bugs upon launch, but way more content as well. I feel as if FO4 is the inverse of that, less bugs, but way less content too. Truthfully, I don't know which I want more.

In short, I have my complaints, not that Beth, Howard & Co. would ever read or lock onto, but given what I perceive as that implementation of previous TES mods into the current dev-build of FO4, I have to ask why certain features are not able to be toggled on or off at the player's liking? Like the same way they were implemented into the MCM mod menu of Skyrim, to allow players freed of choice.

Truth is, SOMEONE will do this post Live SV Patch release, but if Beth seems so intent on incorporating prior modding content into the base game, why not offer the same features for choice?

Don't get me wrong Beth, I LOVE you, and I think you release awesome stuff (with the pre-defined ability to improve or dissect from for modders), I just feel that IF I am correct in that you are taking your lead from modders of the past TES iterations, that you might continue to do so with the survival mode patch as well,, in terms of making certain features optional or not, at least until crashing bugs are fixed.

Those are my 2-cents on the matter, and I hope that someone at Beth, and any forum to be honest, will read this, and respond with, or either go to development with, these thoughts, as your new discussion migration on Beth.net seems to still be at its infancy.

That's not meant as insult either. You have called for feedback, and I am giving it here. I hope you see it.

As a disclaimer, I am posting this on the Steam and Beth forums as well, as I hope that tis perspective will gain traction among others in those communities as well. Please feel free to respond (in the least troll-ish way possible, that would be appreciated, had enough of those already.)

And at the very minimum, thank you for reading this :smile:

I agree with most of what you just said. but i do fell like fallout 4 have been and will be treated like a cash grab. it seemed to me they never cared how fun or how "FALLOUT" this game would look and feel. and i would love to have a real Trippe A game look and feel like one, even tho the Textures where s#*&#33; and how badly coded the game felt and very more so as POORLY optimized the game is. it was never made to run smoothly on the pc why even have it out. from day one i felt like i was "testing" a Beta game. thats how badly i felt it ran and have lacking in everything from a-z ect. the game had no RPG feel to it. i had no options for you to really pick there really was no reply in the story because no-mater what you say or do tehy say the same thing not counting the few words they might of added. having very badly lack of quest. (they say its around the same. right but there completely shorter then before and there just basic bare to the bones kill quest. COD did better kill quest i thought. you can make a game thats a shooter (now) with RPG elements. look at Duse Ex (1st) and there line of games. along with a few others i have played.

As long as they played with this game i really did exspacted more from game-play, more CC, more building opts. as badly as they made it there was ZERO how to do anything in build mod. (there book i paid for was just as or more so lacking in everything.) i dont play main quest much. and i Truly felt game was do after killing Kellogg. i cared nothing about the poop baby. xD (i dont like babys anyway. they should of made it more of a young child or something. but from what i read this hole quest feels ripped out of fallout 3 and reversed. hell father looks like your father in F3. (i wonder if there one of the same. xD) i love side quest. but the game had what i could tell "ZERO" side quest. i dont mean the poorly made faction quest. i mean quest out side of the story. and they should of added real quest for most to all of the followers. i never did liked or understand the hold u to retarded stuff that should not matter. they fall in love with you.

i could go in. but i would Rather have all the building mode options unlocked and better made then how poorly made the build mod was, and very more so lack of CC in that mode, and i felt ripped off so far with thr DLC so far. in the 2nd one al the build items should of been already given to you. we have mods that gave me 200 fold for free in lighting and building mod stuff.. DLCs feel very ripped off because it feels everything that should of already been in the base game.. (starting up game you find a robot laying on the ground next to the mini gun and power armor. i felt from the start i should build robots. nope... later i find its in a DLC. the compleaty lied to us about everything. the robot building was always in the game and so was the underwater CC and that took was ripped out. in stead of REALLY listening to us the gamers they did what they want for max case. from the way tom H talked in e3 some time ago i felt they way he comment the game was going to be this bad.

sry about the bad spelling. spellings not my strong suit and FF never had a good spell fixer..

@Hallgarth

1. I believe this is a design choice as adrenaline is directly tied to risk from losing time from your last save.

2. The number of chairs vs the number of beds means that would drastically change the save/risk dynamic.

8. I agree, companions need to be immune from falling damage because they are stupid.

9. I could be down with that

10. That's also a good idea

1. Then a manual settlement save would remove adrenaline completely. I want to be given the chance to make some hard saves just in case something goes wrong down the line and I need a much earlier save without having to start from scratch. Also, a settlement will have beds anyway, so having a manual save option means nothing really is different from a gameplay point of view.

2. A simple remedy would be to have waiting increase fatigue at 2x/3x the rate. Sat doing nothing for an hour or more will make one lethargic and tired. This would mean that there is only so many times you could wait-save before needing to sleep. Also, as has been said, running off to sleep because it's been a while since you last saved is immersion breaking. Finding a chair to sit and rest your legs in order to save isn't.

I don't plan to use survival because it doesn't really add anything interesting to the game for me. I like difficult games, not micromanagement games. I'll stick to my increased spawn mods and leave the "click food to avoid game over screen" game to you all :)

Only thing that really interests me is how your companions will stay down if injured and will bail on you if you bail on them. Hoping for something that mods that into the other difficulties.