Who do you wish you could romance?

Lehcar

Actually they can. They can even marry, they just can not have sex outside of wedlock.

So you think that someone with a mental disability that is 35 can not persue a relationship with another person who is 35? That sounds bigoted to me.

You put those words into his mouth, making you seem like the only bigot in this conversation.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually they can. They can even marry, they just can not have sex outside of wedlock.

So you think that someone with a mental disability that is 35 can not persue a relationship with another person who is 35? That sounds bigoted to me.

You put those words into his mouth, making you seem like the only bigot in this conversation.

Not at all, he was dismissive of people with mental disabilities having the same rights as everyone else.

Curie is still discovering how her new hormones work, and her exposure to how human works is even more lacking, so essentially she's the equivalent of a very nerdy 12 year old girl hitting puberty. I fail to see how can she POSSIBLY give INFORMED consent. I mean, fer fork's sake, she even has to ask why people try to flirt with her and why does she blush and such.

The fact that you're essentially also her mentor and guardian through that transition... yeah, it seems a bit predatory to me.

Mind you, for full disclosure sake, I must say that generally I find NPCs unappealing, so that might colour the assessment a bit too. I mean, I'm no bigot, some of my best friends are NPCs, but... they ain't human, you know? They should stick to their own kind, is all I'm saying :wink:

Plus, the notion that an NPC could have the free will and emotional range to make such romance mean anything, is an abomination of technology and dangerous. Yeah, I got along fabulously with Maxson, why do you ask? :wink:

Well, ok, joke aside, I dunno, I find it hard to have any meaningful relationship with someone who has like 4 meaningful dialogues total, and whose idea of attraction and compatibility is along the lines of, "woo, he lockpicked the 100'th lock, I'm so ready to drop my panties." Or whatever each NPC favours. Let's face it, in any real relationship you spend more time talking than screwing, and these fellows can't hold a conversation if it came with two handles and a shoulder strap. I just don't have any common interests or topics I can discuss with them, because they just don't do any such thing.

Not at all, he was dismissive of people with mental disabilities having the same rights as everyone else.

You are confusing the difference between fundamental rights and legal rights. Everyone has the fundamental right to get married. Not everyone can get married because they do not have the legal right, for example if they do not have power of attorney or are of legal age to be married.

-Snip-

Let's face it, in any real relationship you spend more time talking than screwing, and these fellows can't hold a conversation if it came with two handles and a shoulder strap. I just don't have any common interests or topics I can discuss with them, because they just don't do any such thing.

haha damn good post. If only your last point wasn't true :tongue:

Well this thread got off topic a bit.

For me, my first interest would probably be Rosalind Orman, the junior Institute scientist in the Advanced Systems Division. She is cute and ridiculously smart, and I can really see her as one good reason for possibly siding with the Institute.

What can I say? She likes handling advanced weaponry....

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/fallout.gamepedia.com/thumb/4/4f/Fo4_Rosaling_O.png/320px-Fo4_Rosaling_O.png?version=144ce1c3fb745f3ed9d322ccf440d0ea

*Automatron DLC Spoiler Below*

Although Isabela Cruz, the former Mechanist would have been a good choice. Did anyone else find it odd that Bethesda could not be bothered to make her a companion considering how skimpy the Automatron content was? She was good in a fight which is something that is apparent when you try to kill her. And she had a better reason to travel the Wasteland to help you fight injustice and redeem herself rather than stay cooped up in her base. I mean true, the focus of the DLC was robot companions but I don't think that should have stopped them.

Edited by CyrusAmell

"Romance" is a fiction created about 800 years ago. It's more about you than the object of your affection...

FAKE:

A. Romantic love arises from pre-existing yearnings.

B. Romantic love begins suddenly, creating instant intimacy.

C. Romantic love is blind.

D. Romantic love is often one-sided; it loves from afar.

E. Romantic love watches for small signs of reciprocation.

F. Romantic love is often uncertain and fearful of rejection;

it is exclusive, possessive, and jealous.

G. Romantic love is a fantasy-trip,

a prefabricated emotion projected onto others.

H. Romance creates an illusion of oneness.

I. Romantic love depends on imagination.

J. Romance is being in love with love

attempting to actualize a feeling learned from others.

K. Romantic love sometimes depends on manipulation.

L. Romantic love is like watching a movie.

M. Romantic love is an ecstatic feeling.

N. Romantic love is an altered state of consciousness.

O. Romantic love sees the beloved as perfect

P. Romantic love causes violent mood-swings.

Q. Romantic love causes preoccupation and distraction.

R. Romantic love causes intrusive thinking.

S. Romantic love causes compulsive, neurotic,

dependent thoughts and feelings.

T. Romantic love is an overwhelming experience.

U. Romantic love is the most important thing in life.

V. Romantic love includes suffering.

W. Near its end, romantic love clings to any shred of hope.

X. Romantic Love is temporarylasting 18 months to 3 years.

Y. When romantic love is over, it sometimes becomes hatred.

Z. Romantic love resists analysis.

Real:

1. Sexual attraction;

2. Mate-selection & Marriage;

3. Familiarity.

From: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~parkx032/RLT-WEB.html but that's just cause I'm fk'ing lazy.

For once, I can say the ice cold Brits got something right. They probably MADE the idea of romantic love popular as another means to divide and rule the populations they conquered.

Resist the truth and take the consequences. I did and got D stroyed.

True, but it a thing now to flirt and have romantic times with one's lover.

Many don't accept sex only, and candy, roses and I love you.

Curie is still discovering how her new hormones work, and her exposure to how human works is even more lacking, so essentially she's the equivalent of a very nerdy 12 year old girl hitting puberty. I fail to see how can she POSSIBLY give INFORMED consent. I mean, fer fork's sake, she even has to ask why people try to flirt with her and why does she blush and such.

The fact that you're essentially also her mentor and guardian through that transition... yeah, it seems a bit predatory to me.

Thank you! I'm almost done romancing Curie and I've been pretty unhappy about the tone. You really hit the nail on the head there. Some writer at Bethesda must have had a loli fetish, because there is no reason for her to act like a child or young teen. She's 200 years old, and she had human relationships with meaning and loss. I thought her accent was so sexy and I was so disappointed with her bambi routine.

I imagine it is worse if you are playing as the male sole survivor. The female voice actress has done a good job of keeping my flirting lines lighthearted and minimizing creep factor. But considering Curie does not seem to want a relationship at all at several points, and makes clear she wishes you would stop...it still has soured me on spending much time with Curie. That and her total inability to hit the broad side of a barn. Are you a blind robot?!

The things is, I was already annoyed at power imbalances with other companions. You are Preston's commanding officer AND he tells you several times he's suicidal. Cait is all kinds of wrong, with her background as a sexual assault victim and she's also suicidal (glad she doesn't give consent till after she is sober at least). Maccready is my favorite companion, because he nails those headshots, because I love his voice acting and because I gave him a sexy makeover...but I'm his boss. He's in a desperate situation, and he even gives me back the money I paid him. So now he's working for me for free, indefinitely. And he's only 22 so huge age difference!

But I usually just 'fix' it in my mind. Like pretending Maccready is like 26 and that we had a talk where we decided to travel together as friends and not as a business arrangement. I'm willing to gloss over this stuff because this problem is not unique to fallout 4. Companions are the natural choice for romance options, but we also have to have authority over them as the player. There is a problem inherent in the mechanic but it would at least help if they avoided these setups and really avoided dialogue like Curie's. I'm glad that Piper, Hancock and Danse all have a better power dynamic, but that leaves more than half the romance options as being problematic. Curie, though, is on a whole other level of messed up.

Also, I'm with you that we need more dialogue with romance options period. Or more side quests to help them deal with their own problems. Preferably both! And I really wish people would initiate romance with me. I hate always having to initiate it first. Ideally I could then respond favorably, or reject them, or manipulate them for my own ends. You know like that guy that was working for Tenpenny? I had just taken the black widow perk when I met him in Megaton, and it was pretty cool to play him like that! Really looking forward to what the modding community does with romance and companions now that the GECK is almost here.

Companions are the natural choice for romance options, but we also have to have authority over them as the player. There is a problem inherent in the mechanic but it would at least help if they avoided these setups and really avoided dialogue like Curie's. I'm glad that Piper, Hancock and Danse all have a better power dynamic, but that leaves more than half the romance options as being problematic. Curie, though, is on a whole other level of messed up.

I wrote my two companions for my mod to go totally against the idea of you having authority over them. Cal for example will leave you to go do things that he has to do, both standard responsibilities (such as getting new string for his banjo) as well as things he does that help progress the story of my mod. He doesn't just follow you around for months at a time like you are the center of his world, he travels with you as a friend and then leaves when he needs to or gets bored or wants cake.

I am completely taking away the option for the player to dress up either of my companions. They will wear what they want to, and depending on how you treat them and how they feel about events in the story, they will wear different things accordingly.

They are basically going to be the two worst companions ever. One is an overly sarcastic jerk with a short attention span and a busy life that doesn't revolve around you, and the other one has a bad attitude, is super defensive over anything you tell her to do, and for the most part doesn't even like you. People will hate my mod, but I don't care.