Male or Female PC? How come?

Kanori24

I heard and read it few times too, but I really doubt seriousness of this "research" and claims, considering psychology or sociology has pretty weak ties to real science... If you had male logic and general way of thinking, you would understand, but it would be extremely weird for me to explain why this stuff is false. There could be some general patterns, but they are too primitive, might fit animal behavior, but certainly not human. Young girls might prefer or dream about heroic figures as their partners, but as soon as they engage in relationships it usually falls off and they see clear picture: they deal with humans, not some made up characters. Same with boys, and this thin faced booby mutant body is more of a imposed image, while they cannot develop tastes for themselves, it usually changes later on.

And no, I'm not black, and never really wanted to be, lol, in fact I'm pretty happy with my appearance and never wanted to be any other way, but for some reason I mainly play as black characters (no racism), it's hard to explain why, maybe it's some additional layer of my self-consciousness or something, but I can certainly say at least in Skyrim it fits very well. :cool:

About avatars, sometimes yes, it happens when you perceive person by picture, but I usually trying to shake it off ASAP. And it's no surprise why most people may think you're a male. Your character doesn't look Twilight or Bieberoid type, and modders are mostly guys too. Outfits are pretty manly and brutal, certainly the types ordinary girl wouldn't design.

No, I wouldn't say people won't call police if they see your dude from FNV, it would be panic! I think TES one may be better, pose as some kind of cosplayer or something, or just think dude had too much at the party, haven't slept few nights... you know. And yeah, I get the joke about poses, just can't keep myself from picking on it. :tongue:

What my experience is with male opinions with high heels, at least according to my male friends, they all think that it makes women look sexier (at least if they can wlak in it without constanly stumbling). It isn't esential for them to find a woman attractive, but it helps. We had a talk about it once, and there were at least 7 guys around, and more or less they all agreed abut the fact that there is a certain attractiveness in it, mainly at how it alters the leg shape and walking. Most of them doesnt give f*ck about it when choosing a girlfirend though. Most of my female friends only occassionally wear them, but if they do, its when they want to look more attractive (like a first date or a job interwiev). The reason i never wear them, just ones with moderale sized heels, is that i am already too tall for most guys.

I do agree though that most men and women with at least averaqe IQ go over the heroic-romatic/boob-babe phase as they age, but not because they find them less sexy, but sexyness will become less important when choosing a partner for longer time, and personality and lifestyle get more important. They just look for someone who is clean and not morbidly obese, and concentrate more on how they gonna get along in life together.

(also i hope that no sociologist pr psichologist has read your statement about them :) )

i figured soon that you are possibly not black, since there isnt much of them in post soviet countries, and you mentioned that quite early. :) Maybe playing as a guy who looks so different from you helps you keep the distacne needed for proper role playing, at least that is one of the reasons i prefer males (beacause imho making your character too much like you prevents you from enjoyable roleplay, since its not a role anymore, just you in stronger and prettier body).

And yeah, redguards are cool, if i ever chose a human guy character in skyrim, i'd pick that race. :)

i think with modders it is like with most online stuff that is related to any "non-girly" (like sims) game, you assume male until proven otherwise. True that i didnt do much to indicate my gender, and honestly i dont really care, since there are no benefits or disadvantages. However my males being non-bieberish and my outfits being more fallout style (something that looks a bit 50s sci-fi and also fits a post apocaliptic world where you cant even use the restroom without something trying to kill you) just indicates that i am over puberty i think :)

If i think about modern society a bit more, i dont think that any of my characters, or in fact any rpg characters would cause any panic, people would just avoid eye contact and slowly go to the other side of the street/room/bus, or take pictures with their phones, just like when they see an accident or a crime or anything weird. (actually if you put sunglasses and a hood on my fnv guy he looks quite normal from a slight distace :) )

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Heels*

Hm, that's unusual... Either they were showing solidarity to common beauty standards for some reason or you encountered quite a phenomenon: 7 different persons with similar tastes. The fact that they don't care about it says something on the other hand though.

I do agree though that most men and women with at least averaqe IQ go over the heroic-romatic/boob-babe phase as they age, but not because they find them less sexy, but sexyness will become less important when choosing a partner for longer time, and personality and lifestyle get more important. They just look for someone who is clean and not morbidly obese, and concentrate more on how they gonna get along in life together.

(also i hope that no sociologist pr psichologist has read your statement about them :smile: )

Yes, this pretty much too. Won't dive into more *gory* details, or it really will get seriously awkward. :ohmy:

And considering psychology, I admit, I'm no expert on this topic, never seriously studied it, only read few books including famous Freud, Jung and Adler, plus some personal interaction with adepts of this "science", and it just doesn't sit well with me... See, it's the known fact that brain is one of the most complex structures in the world, and even neurobiologists across the globe admit that we know very little about it's functions, but "sciences" like psychology are trying to explain and categorize processes in our mind. Not only that of course, but most of it comes down to this. Can something really grasp this potential? Do people with serious psychological afflictions ever get cured? Maybe there's no understanding for something like this yet? This discussion we have pretty revealing on that matter: two genders side by side from first day of creation, too much differences, still no sufficient understanding in many things on huge scale. Psychology doesn't seem to help it one bit. Anyway, I'm rather skeptical, perceiving it as some kind of fortune telling/astrology/therapy, whatever...

i figured soon that you are possibly not black, since there isnt much of them in post soviet countries, and you mentioned that quite early. :smile: Maybe playing as a guy who looks so different from you helps you keep the distacne needed for proper role playing, at least that is one of the reasons i prefer males (beacause imho making your character too much like you prevents you from enjoyable roleplay, since its not a role anymore, just you in stronger and prettier body).

And yeah, redguards are cool, if i ever chose a human guy character in skyrim, i'd pick that race. :smile:

Actually I do sometimes create characters too much like me, but since this archetype usually is a mage, I'm not sure about "stronger and prettier" parts. :tongue: For example in TES or FO I do not really roleplay, I rather immerse myself with character, and become one, that's where I usually choose to play something far from what I am. In real RPGs, where I CAN roleplay, I do create something closer to myself, both in looks and temper. It's pretty unique experience, like: "what would I do or say in certain situation?"

If nothing else, makes decision making process a lot easier, I don't have to think what some character would do, I just take situation upon myself. You gotta really try it sometimes. :cool:

i think with modders it is like with most online stuff that is related to any "non-girly" (like sims) game, you assume male until proven otherwise. True that i didnt do much to indicate my gender, and honestly i dont really care, since there are no benefits or disadvantages. However my males being non-bieberish and my outfits being more fallout style (something that looks a bit 50s sci-fi and also fits a post apocaliptic world where you cant even use the restroom without something trying to kill you) just indicates that i am over puberty i think :smile:

Exactly, glad you see it that way.

If i think about modern society a bit more, i dont think that any of my characters, or in fact any rpg characters would cause any panic, people would just avoid eye contact and slowly go to the other side of the street/room/bus, or take pictures with their phones, just like when they see an accident or a crime or anything weird. (actually if you put sunglasses and a hood on my fnv guy he looks quite normal from a slight distace :smile: )

More like from a sniper scope distance that is. :wink:

About heels, i still don't think its some weird phenomenon that almost all the guys i know prefer high heels more or less. As far as i know its quite common, what changes is how much they care about it. Also if you look at all those armour mods for female characters by male modders, most of them also have high heels. And i think most of the time it isnt even a problem when its just an optional fashion accessory, but at a lot of places like offices it is the part of the dress code, its some kind of formal wear. One of my friends used to work at a company that sells stock exchange advices (i dont know the proper term), and even though she only did telemarketing (only connected any clients by phone so they never actually saw her), she was forced to wear high heels (along with a formal dress) the whole day. Same with my other friend who had to do her whole lawyer internship in high heels (they even had to be a certain brand). And noone tell me these dress codes are made up by women.

About psychology, i think it has much more scientific base than astrology (according to that i should love sports and competition for the sole reason was born a "sagittarius", but i consider competitive sports just as fun as getting tortured), but most psychologists and sociologists i've met are people who like to talk about problems a lot and recite literature endlessly about it, yet they dont know anything about solutions. But at least they try :smile: And of course it isnt useful in all cases, not even closely, but they can be helpful to many people, if they take their job seriously and know what they can do and what they can't. However i think its ridiculous that they want to categorize everything so badly, mostly things that cannot be categorized, and there are a lot of moronic psychologist who take these categorization too seriously and try to analize and "cure" people accordingly, thinking that 3 or 4 solutions can be fitted to 7,6 bilion completely different individuals.

About roleplaying as ourselves, i did try it, actually most of my female characters turn out to be more or less like that (they dont look exactly like me but they are almost all white and around my age), and it can be interesting sometimes, but i guess i just enjoy more keeping that distance between me and my character. Not that i dont enjoy the former one, i do, its just that the latter one is a bit more fun for me. It is hard because sometimes even my males end up doing what i think is right and not what might fits that character. I agree about the easier decision making process, i usually pick a like-me-playthrough for that reason (that its quicker and more obvious).

Sniper distance, i cannot know, i am usually at the other end of the weapon :smile: I gave him a custom close faced helmet with a cute smiley face paintjob that gives a charisma boost though :smile:

Edited by hagyjalbeken

@hagyjalbeken

Again, I'm no expert, but female footwear on high heels is more like modern fashion standard than something else to me. Most mods done with exactly same cliches and things that suppose to appeal to masses, which you perfectly aware of. In our history from time to time people always had to dress in something extremely ridiculous and unpractical. Wearing formal costume with necktie and jacket in 30C heat is pretty inconvenient too, but some jobs, especially corps, demanding it. Are you or any of your girlfriends absolutely crazy about men in costumes? I guess heels is the same thing to us. Also it is very hard for me to believe that dress code is made up by men, but oh well...

In fact I see a lot more coincidences and accuracy in astrological zodiac predictions of person temper than any psychological teachings. Pardon my expression, but when you pay someone to talk to, it feels like some twisted way of prostitution. In math, physics, chemistry you're working with formulas, numbers and elements. Sure it has tons of nonsense, and some theories are false, but those sciences have huge practical applications, and it can be categorized/calculated unlike what psychology along with sociology is trying to do with human minds.

Well, not much else to tell you about RP then, as I also tend to play second or third time as completely different character to experience game in a new way. It's always a lot of fun getting your char through new adventure, but I'm curious, do you have set archetypes or you trying to invent completely new character when you getting into new RPG?

And usually charisma bonuses don't stop .50 cal bullets flying in your face... but you always can get lucky, eh? :wink:

Edited by Signette

@hagyjalbeken

Again, I'm no expert, but female footwear on high heels is more like modern fashion standard than something else to me. Most mods done with exactly same cliches and things that suppose to appeal to masses, which you perfectly aware of. In our history from time to time people always had to dress in something extremely ridiculous and unpractical. Wearing formal costume with necktie and jacket in 30C heat is pretty inconvenient too, but some jobs, especially corps, demanding it. Are you or any of your girlfriends absolutely crazy about men in costumes? I guess heels is the same thing to us. Also it is very hard for me to believe that dress code is made up by men, but oh well...

In fact I see a lot more coincidences and accuracy in astrological zodiac predictions of person temper than any psychological teachings. Pardon my expression, but when you pay someone to talk to, it feels like some twisted way of prostitution. In math, physics, chemistry you're working with formulas, numbers and elements. Sure it has tons of nonsense, and some theories are false, but those sciences have huge practical applications, and it can be categorized/calculated unlike what psychology along with sociology is trying to do with human minds.

Well, not much else to tell you about RP then, as I also tend to play second or third time as completely different character to experience game in a new way. It's always a lot of fun getting your char through new adventure, but I'm curious, do you have set archetypes or you trying to invent completely new character when you getting into new RPG?

And usually charisma bonuses don't stop .50 cal bullets flying in your face... but you always can get lucky, eh? :wink:

Ye, of course high heels are a fashion standars, but why are they, and why have been they for so long? there are stupid and unpractical fashion cliches, but they appear and disappear very fast, yet high heels seem to stay wioth us for the eternity. The reason for that imho that people really find them appealing and good looking for some reason, and not just because the current taste of media and society dictates it. High heels are a sign of feminity in western culture. There is a tribe in asia where females put rings on their neck until it becomes extremely long ( to the point where they cannot remove them because their neck wouldnt be able to hold their head), and they do it because males tend to marry the females with the longst neck, since long necks are sexy for some reason in thier culture. I think the base reason behind high heels is something close to that, but on a much more "civilised" way of course. However, i dont think that high heels are something evil and should be banned, in fact, as i said, i'd wear them more often if i wasn't already much taller than average. Its just that something so unhealthy became the "standard" wear for women bugs me a bit.

And if by "costume" on males you mean suits, yeah right, many females like them because they are the symbol of money power education and being a "gentleman", and they arent nearly as uncomfortable as high heels.

The only reason people find accuracy in astrology is because they tend to look for those traits in a person that are associated with their sign. I have a friend who is a bit narcistic and likes to be praised and be the centre of attention, they say its because she is a leo, i say its more likely because she is a lot shorter and smaller than average, and is the only chlld of a mother with a strong personality who pushes her will onto people. They say my other friend cant get into a deep and lasting relationship because he is a scorpio, but its rather because of the super horrible example of his parents.

But as i said, the main problem with psichology imo is the thing you described, mainly that they tend to categroize everything and jump to conclusions accordingly, and ignore the fact that the nature of human mind cannot be approached in the ways of other sciences. Solving ones problems requires a much deeper understanding of a unique person than a psychologist can provide. However, they can give useful adivices and guidelines sometimes.

About archetypes in rpgs, i try to avoid them. By that i mean strong heroic warrior, smart knowledgeable mage, shady tricky thief, gloomy assassin, and their version in non fantasy games, they are boring. If you mean that i tend to create the same characters again and again, well my males share some traits, but they usually end up different. Even my elder scrolls dark elves have different traits. The one time i actually wanted to create the same character it ended up different: even though fo3 sucked as an rpg, i really liked my character and when i found out that fnv storyline allows you to roleplay as the same guy i tried to re-create him, but somehow i ended up with that scarry faced dude (in fo3 i used a vanilla face). They are still quite similar, just the "solve problems with charm" option i used in fo3 when i could isnt there any more :)

Females, since i usually play them as the me-likeness, are much more simlar (not that much in looks, just they are all white human and around my age, their personality is quite the same).

The only thing i usually do, if there is an intelligence option or something alike, i cant give any of my chars below average intelligence, even if its unuseful for them gameplay-wise.

Maybe charisma bonuses dont stop bullets but they stop people to puke when they look at you :)

@hagyjalbeken

Yeah, I know about this tribe, and also heard about few others with even more terrifying and ridiculous customs, but I only dread to think that our civilized society follows the same path here... Feels extremely retarded tbh. And I don't say that heels should be banned or something, everyone should be able to dress as he/she desires, but making anything norm and standard is not good idea, especially something like high heels. And on bigger scale, if we follow logic of tribe, that means women dress like that to attract more male attention, isn't it a bit, um... pathetic? Same can go for males in suits, but it's more seldom when you see one in suit outside of a job requiring it or very special occasions.

I have never worn footware on high heels, so I got little personal input here, but can say that in some circumstances, suits are pretty uncomfortable too, and they stuck with us for quite a long time already, for no apparent reason though...

Well, my sign is aries, and my stubbornness knows no bounds, so there's some truth here. :wallbash: It was rather a joke at any rate, but I was more referring to the fact, how quickly psychologists usually jump to conclusions, as you mentioned, and posing as expert for something that no one of us can even grasp is kinda cringe worthy.

I meant both, thanks for answer covering all. Considering intellect, I give maximum or close to it to most of my chars too, mainly not for RP reasons, but because I get more points. But once I actually created one very stupid character in FNV, made him melee fighter - drug addict and alcoholic, joined Legion as soon as I could and was hoping for some fun playthrough. Didn't happen, game world barely gives any acknowledgement of my characters intellectual abilities. It was only restricting me from solving most situations by talking, I had to fight more, but everyone around me talked with my toon as the usually do. Left me quite disappointed. In most cRPGs (for example I had a lot of fun with it in Neverwinter Nights as low int Ork-Warrior). When you go below certain Int threshold, your character loses ability to even speak normally, so he mostly grunts and usually can't make up correct sentence. World treats such character accordingly, talking to him like with an idiot. Big letdown on new FO part here...

Fallout is the world, where pukes are more dangerous than the bullets, huh? :tongue: That reminds me, in FNV (esp Honest Hearts) when you shoot some naked native in bare head with anti-material rifle, it takes about 5-6 shots to kill one, I could never get over this. :sad:

Edited by Signette

Sometimes i think most barely unexplainable behaiviours in our society can be traced back to the need for the fulfillmet of the most basic instinct, wihich (asides not to starve, which is mostly not an issue in westen wold) is to successfully reproduce your useless dna. Almost everything we do basically stems from the instinct to have offsprings with quality and quantity. Of course it is less obvious and less important in modern society but its still very much there, even if not a concious choice. I think the reason for males wanting more power and being leaders so they can become "alphas" is to get the chance to have as many females as possible, even if they don't really want to actually "use the opportunity". Also that is why women tend to show off how feminine and "fertile" they are.

Heh, i kinda experienced some of your stubbornness here, but arent males much more stubborn than females in general? :) Yes, i think we agree what the main problem with psyhologists is, and how harmful that can be, but i know that there are many good and useful psichologists who actually know their boundaries and limits and use those statistics and researches only as something they can lean on, and actally see you as an individual and try to help accordingly.

i think that is why i love to have high intelligence characters too, mainly because it isn't only more comfortable and fun for me to roleplay, but also is usually useful in actual gameplay.

Well, in FNV at least the game sometimes acknowledges some of your attributes, that is much more than most rpg-style games today, especially bethesda ones. I never played a low int character, but as far as i know there are a few hilariou dialogue options, and even that is much more than most games give you today. That actually leads back to the fact that they try to make everything voiced, and dialogue options just don't fit on the disc. That makes me even less willing to try various character playstyles, its just not worth it. i am already happy when there is a minor difference between the usual stereotypes (strong warrior, smart mage/tech guy, shady sneaky criminal type). Reacting to characteristics, or even race, i think that will stay a dream (things ike those nords wondering at a khajiit dragonborn at least a little bit f.e.).

Pukes, yeah, especially centaur pukes, or do they spit? :) What i was trying to say, being ugly doesnt work to your advantages sometimes :) (BTW i wish there was an option for npcs to akcnowledge if your character looks menacing/repulsive/weird/charming, to refer to the former topic, but that is beyond dreams)

A raider boss dressed in rags with a chainsaw that needs several headshots from a plasma rifle doesnt make much sense either, but i think this is some kind of usual game stupidity, like the butthole-inventory or sleeping off a bleedig hole in your head or healing it by eating cheese (actually just standing still is enough nowadays).

Sometimes i think most barely unexplainable behaiviours in our society can be traced back to the need for the fulfillmet of the most basic instinct, wihich (asides not to starve, which is mostly not an issue in westen wold) is to successfully reproduce your useless dna. Almost everything we do basically stems from the instinct to have offsprings with quality and quantity. Of course it is less obvious and less important in modern society but its still very much there, even if not a concious choice. I think the reason for males wanting more power and being leaders so they can become "alphas" is to get the chance to have as many females as possible, even if they don't really want to actually "use the opportunity". Also that is why women tend to show off how feminine and "fertile" they are.

Heh, that reminds me of an argument between Freud and Adler I read about once, I'm still more on the side of Adler, and I don't think that everything we do in our lives has roots in reproduction or sex. Lust for power is its own merit, and only rarely revolves around having lots of fertile females around... pretty idiotic concept if you ask me. I'm still firm believer, that most humans, especially modern ones and in more civilized lands are very good at controlling their own instincts, including reproduction, which actually shows as low demography in those countries.

Heh, i kinda experienced some of your stubbornness here, but arent males much more stubborn than females in general?

I guess we are different kind of stubborn, like males are more straightforward, pushing, and female may agree in your face, but will do as she wants behind your back. No specifics, just the way i see it.

i think that is why i love to have high intelligence characters too, mainly because it isn't only more comfortable and fun for me to roleplay, but also is usually useful in actual gameplay.

Well, in FNV at least the game sometimes acknowledges some of your attributes, that is much more than most rpg-style games today, especially bethesda ones. I never played a low int character, but as far as i know there are a few hilariou dialogue options, and even that is much more than most games give you today. That actually leads back to the fact that they try to make everything voiced, and dialogue options just don't fit on the disc. That makes me even less willing to try various character playstyles, its just not worth it. i am already happy when there is a minor difference between the usual stereotypes (strong warrior, smart mage/tech guy, shady sneaky criminal type). Reacting to characteristics, or even race, i think that will stay a dream (things ike those nords wondering at a khajiit dragonborn at least a little bit f.e.).

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, voicing really kills dialogue variety real hard, and it's not only that, but the indicator how lazy devs have become. Why write 6-7 variations of answer, when most players might not even discover 3 or 4 of them? I wasn't roleplaying stupid characters in FO1/2 plus it was really long time ago, but I think my buddy was RP'ing dumb boxer pornstar in FO2 and he was telling me about some really hilarious interactions with NPCs. Thankfully indie devs are onto reviving the classics, so we might have those features in new cRPGs as well.

Pukes, yeah, especially centaur pukes, or do they spit? :smile: What i was trying to say, being ugly doesnt work to your advantages sometimes :smile: (BTW i wish there was an option for npcs to akcnowledge if your character looks menacing/repulsive/weird/charming, to refer to the former topic, but that is beyond dreams)

A raider boss dressed in rags with a chainsaw that needs several headshots from a plasma rifle doesnt make much sense either, but i think this is some kind of usual game stupidity, like the butthole-inventory or sleeping off a bleedig hole in your head or healing it by eating cheese (actually just standing still is enough nowadays).

In old isometric RPGs charisma made sense, as you really weren't seeing your character and couldn't judge on how attractive he might be. When I create some ugly s-o-b with face in scars and burns, hair and beard all over the place and look of homicidal maniac, but with high charisma parameter... well, you know.

Yes, there are far too many of those unrealistic gameplay gimmicks, like drinking soda pushes bullets out of your body and etc, but something you can get over, like auto-regen (no matter how stupid it is), but headshot is even considered lethal on video game level, thankfully we have mods...

Edited by Signette

Heh, that reminds me of an argument between Freud and Adler I read about once, I'm still more on the side of Adler, and I don't think that everything we do in our lives has roots in reproduction or sex. Lust for power is its own merit, and only rarely revolves around having lots of fertile females around... pretty idiotic concept if you ask me. I'm still firm believer, that most humans, especially modern ones and in more civilized lands are very good at controlling their own instincts, including reproduction, which actually shows as low demography in those countries.

We,, freud was pretty much obsessed with the idea that everything stems from the desire to have sex with our parents, so he was quite extreme. I am more like in-between the two arguments. i think most social behaiviors stem form reprodiction instincts, but getting more civilized and intelligent gives it controls so it's much less obvious, but it has melted into our ways of living and thinking.

Males and females are much more contented when they fit into their roles that are connencted with reproduction success (powerful and strong/desirable and caring), but the goal of these behaiviours isnt direct reproducrion anymore, just the feeling that comes with the possibility of being the most succesful in dna sharing.

I guess we are different kind of stubborn, like males are more straightforward, pushing, and female may agree in your face, but will do as she wants behind your back. No specifics, just the way i see it.

Well, i think i do agree with this statement (or do i?... ;) )

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, voicing really kills dialogue variety real hard, and it's not only that, but the indicator how lazy devs have become. Why write 6-7 variations of answer, when most players might not even discover 3 or 4 of them? I wasn't roleplaying stupid characters in FO1/2 plus it was really long time ago, but I think my buddy was RP'ing dumb boxer pornstar in FO2 and he was telling me about some really hilarious interactions with NPCs. Thankfully indie devs are onto reviving the classics, so we might have those features in new cRPGs as well.

Yeah i agree that not only technical barriers that come from voice acting, but lazyness is also very much guilty in this dialogue/story dumbing-down trend. Just see fallout nv for example, whre the technical background is the same as for fo3, but they put just a little more effonrt into this aspect of the game, and it already feels a lot more like an rpg.

Well, i wont call it lazyness, more like a lack of passion and love for their creation. They do put a lot of effort into graphics and action elements which are considered to be the main selling point for a game (are not imo), but things that make a game unique and memorable don't get any attention. They work hard on creating something that instantly and certainly makes profit, but its just dull work, and they don't seem to be passionate about it. i am affraid indie devs lose this passion as soon as a lot of possible profit gets involved (see no mans sky).

In old isometric RPGs charisma made sense, as you really weren't seeing your character and couldn't judge on how attractive he might be. When I create some ugly s-o-b with face in scars and burns, hair and beard all over the place and look of homicidal maniac, but with high charisma parameter... well, you know.

Yes, there are far too many of those unrealistic gameplay gimmicks, like drinking soda pushes bullets out of your body and etc, but something you can get over, like auto-regen (no matter how stupid it is), but headshot is even considered lethal on video game level, thankfully we have mods...

Yeah older games let you rely much more on your imagination, in a good way. However, you can adjust your charisma according to your players looks, so i guess its just up to you (but an option in the game that recognizes certain kind of looks would be fun imo). I find it more annoying that charisma related options usually means either nice naive hero to evil psycho jerk. You usually can't play a character who looks creepy and is rude but has morals and wants to do good things overall (and also the opposite).

i have to admit i don't understand either why some games allow multiple headshots, when its clearly possible to make it a bit more realistic while maintaining playability. But if i think about that most people not wearing heavy armour would be probaby lying on the ground after one shot in the lower arm, its not so bad. I mean that whole combat system is totally irrealistic, its just headshots where it is the most obvious. However, i had to giggle when anyone in fo nv mentions that it is such an unbelievable wonder that you survived a headshot. Everyone else does, come on...