Male or Female PC? How come?

Kanori24

As far as I remember (it was very long time ago) in Icewind Dale (another cRPG) you could also create multiple character party from the start, it even went ridiculous way, as you could create dudes and gals on the go lol. As most ancient RPGs were mainly party based, those deviations in new ones I listed above are just good old tricks. :wink:

And nope, had no idea weapon mods hold second place, wow!

P.S. When someone says "japanese RPG" I cringe hard... :pinch:

Well i hope this "deviation" wont stay a "deviation", because it sounds like an awesome idea imho, but mainstream gaming isn't very famous for trying new (or at least new in mainstream) ideas...

I don't know if weapon mods actually hold second place, but even for an older game like FNV there is a new weapon themed mod uploaded almost every week, and they get decent downloads.

( i have nothing against them, i'm just not that interested, i have like two weapon mods installed each game that i use and like and that's it, also my knowledge about weapons is that i know which end to point at/swing at enemies)

(Why do you cringe at the term "japanese rpg"?)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, there are more male gamers than female, but definitely more female gamers than, say, a decade ago. Despite of being a guy myself, I do agree with female gamers who complain about the objectification and sexualization of women in games. Main reason is because I see women just as human and with same dignity as myself, but also, I prefer them to look natural/average and with clothes/armor that are not so over-revealing. A bit revealing is fine, but I think what I see most of the time is a bit too much. Not talking about dressing them from head to toe like if they are wearing a nun's robe or a burka, just actual clothing, LOL. That's one reason why one of my goals is to learn to make my own clothing/armor mods to my taste. Long way to go, though, I'm still just a newbie at it

Yeah, sometimes i am wondering how is it possible that mainstream game developers still cant get around the fact that a huge percentage of players (even males) want to play as females with a personality, and/or have a quality and interesting interaction with female characters in the story, and not just being there for the sexual interest or as they say "aesthetical purposes".

About armor making, go for it, doing mashups, even more complex ones, can be learned quite quickly (at least for bethesda games). We need more female clothing that makes at least some sense :)

If game developer team create an option to choose which gender to play in their game, then naturally I have the right to choose whatever, Man or woman.. whatever suits my style/mood

If certain games like Resident Evil, Skyrim, or FO4, I choose female.

If certain games like Sim, Dark Soul, Pokemon, or DOA, I choose male characters

My freedom

@hagyjalbeken

Those posts of VDracul led me to some observations, which I'm now curious to ask you if I may:

It's obvious that skimpy armors mainly for female characters are one of the most popular things on Nexus for both TES and FO which we already mentioned few times, but also it's obvious that female gamer pop rises more and more every time, and many girls would be interested in Skyrim and Fallout 4 now, I'm sure. So the questions:

- Do you think they completely avoid downloading and using skimpy armors for their characters?

- How many you suppose are NOT using CBBE or UNP bodies for their chars?

- If gamer girls set upon choice between vanilla line breaker-style fem armors or something like Tera armors, what choice majority will make?

- Why would girl or woman even consider playing as boobmonster character in buttfloss armor?

Now, to think those types of mods are mainly popular among teenager boys indicating girls are avoiding it would be logical, but there's another thing - MMORPG games. They are extremely popular from most game genres among girls, not sure about reasons, but those types of games have pretty aggressive advertisement and they are very simple to pick up. They also usually feature dressing up and tons of customization options along with advanced character creators, so no wonder it's a good bait. And now awkward stuff:

Most even not Korean MMOs feature female characters looking like victims of silicon plastic surgery, children with unusually big forms and even some rather sick variations of mix between animal and woman making it look "sexy". And surprise: it doesn't turn off female audience from the looks of it.

Can you explain this?

On jRPGs:

Because they have no role playing value, in 99% of them you just follow extremely linear story of named character(s) without any possibility of choice. Only thing making those games "RPG" are exp and loot you get from combat and chests, lol. I really wanna see the person who maned these games RPG... So basically I just read "jRPG" as some random type of abbreviation, this way it doesn't hurt my feelings. That being said, I actually enjoy them a lot, played some Final Fantasy games and some more.

I generally play male. But I wish that it was more like Oblivion in that you don't have to play as a buff dude with giant veins. I mean, the buffness doesn't bother me, but those veins... ugh. Isn't that, like, more pokeable with swords? Come on...

But yeah, when it comes to voices, I personally think there are far more enjoyable, beautiful, male voices than female, but maybe I just listen to more songs with male singers than female. But let me clarify I don't think any guys in Skyrim have beautiful voices... now I'm just weirding myself out.

Argonians and khajiit are exceptions to that overly veiny thing. I think.

I wish it was possible to play as males who aren't super manly. Male humans and elves. Khajiit can't be manly. But the tails clip through everything and I hate it.

@hagyjalbeken

Those posts of VDracul led me to some observations, which I'm now curious to ask you if I may:

It's obvious that skimpy armors mainly for female characters are one of the most popular things on Nexus for both TES and FO which we already mentioned few times, but also it's obvious that female gamer pop rises more and more every time, and many girls would be interested in Skyrim and Fallout 4 now, I'm sure. So the questions:

- Do you think they completely avoid downloading and using skimpy armors for their characters?

- If gamer girls set upon choice between vanilla line breaker-style fem armors or something like Tera armors, what choice majority will make?

- Why would girl or woman even consider playing as boobmonster character in buttfloss armor?

Now, to think those types of mods are mainly popular among teenager boys indicating girls are avoiding it would be logical, but there's another thing - MMORPG games. They are extremely popular from most game genres among girls, not sure about reasons, but those types of games have pretty aggressive advertisement and they are very simple to pick up. They also usually feature dressing up and tons of customization options along with advanced character creators, so no wonder it's a good bait. And now awkward stuff:

Most even not Korean MMOs feature female characters looking like victims of silicon plastic surgery, children with unusually big forms and even some rather sick variations of mix between animal and woman making it look "sexy". And surprise: it doesn't turn off female audience from the looks of it.

Can you explain this?

On jRPGs:

Because they have no role playing value, in 99% of them you just follow extremely linear story of named character(s) without any possibility of choice. Only thing making those games "RPG" are exp and loot you get from combat and chests, lol. I really wanna see the person who maned these games RPG... So basically I just read "jRPG" as some random type of abbreviation, this way it doesn't hurt my feelings. That being said, I actually enjoy them a lot, played some Final Fantasy games and some more.

1: No, they dont avoid them, actually many females use armors with some skimpyness. There are many reaons. first, there are barely any other choices, especially if you want something unique. Also, since the social standard of good looking female is set to revealingly dressing, thin and sexy, and as i mentioned they tend to follow social "expectations', it works like fashon industry, it is kinda the "gaming" fashion. Just think about how many females used to wear uggs lately, they are uncomfortable and fugly, but the big fashion industry said it's cool so it became popular. Same with skimpy game characters, since most aaa game devs and poular modding goes that way, they will go with it and kinda like it.

2: almost all female armor mods are exclusvely for those replacers, so they'll use them. Even i do. But i highly doubt that many of them use the over-exaggerated or the bouncy boobs versions.

3: if they are at least a bit more unique than vanilla, higher quality, and moderately sexy, they'll go for vanilla style instead of shiny eyesores like tera. But the tera style attracts anime fans and anime has a huge female fanbase too so it will always have a big audience.

4: Because it is sadly considered to be sexy by the majority.

MMOs: I'm not familiar with them. But i bet females don't play it because they can have big boobs, they just don't really have other choice, are used to it, and even started to like it, because "fashion", also it is considered to be sexy, and they want to be sexy. Especially online. And i think those girls hooked on mmos do want a lot of attention...

Also my main problem withy overly sexified stuff is not that it is unrealistic or looks silly (however, it is a problem), but that it became so important that it gives less and less room for quality content. So females go with this stuff because there isn't much else, also they want to look and feel attractive, and that is considered to be attractive. But i am sure they want more content than bouncy boobies.

So about jRPGs, your problem is not the games or the "genre" but the term RPG used incorrectly. So if i want some role playing experience, i shouldn't look that way :)

@hagyjalbeken

Can you explain this?

On jRPGs:

1: No, they dont avoid them, actually many females use armors with some skimpyness. There are many reaons. first, there are barely any other choices, especially if you want something unique. Also, since the social standard of good looking female is set to revealingly dressing, thin and sexy, and as i mentioned they tend to follow social "expectations', it works like fashon industry, it is kinda the "gaming" fashion. Just think about how many females used to wear uggs lately, they are uncomfortable and fugly, but the big fashion industry said it's cool so it became popular. Same with skimpy game characters, since most aaa game devs and poular modding goes that way, they will go with it and kinda like it.

2: almost all female armor mods are exclusvely for those replacers, so they'll use them. Even i do. But i highly doubt that many of them use the over-exaggerated or the bouncy boobs versions.

3: if they are at least a bit more unique than vanilla, higher quality, and moderately sexy, they'll go for vanilla style instead of shiny eyesores like tera. But the tera style attracts anime fans and anime has a huge female fanbase too so it will always have a big audience.

4: Because it is sadly considered to be sexy by the majority.

MMOs: I'm not familiar with them. But i bet females don't play it because they can have big boobs, they just don't really have other choice, are used to it, and even started to like it, because "fashion", also it is considered to be sexy, and they want to be sexy. Especially online. And i think those girls hooked on mmos do want a lot of attention...

Also my main problem withy overly sexified stuff is not that it is unrealistic or looks silly (however, it is a problem), but that it became so important that it gives less and less room for quality content. So females go with this stuff because there isn't much else, also they want to look and feel attractive, and that is considered to be attractive. But i am sure they want more content than bouncy boobies.

So about jRPGs, your problem is not the games or the "genre" but the term RPG used incorrectly. So if i want some role playing experience, i shouldn't look that way :smile:

Nicely said, hagyjalbeken. Couldn't have said it better myself. Signette totally misinterpreted what I said. I never said girls avoid playing games because of the skimpy outfits and armors, I said some girls COMPLAIN about such outfits/armor. I think there should be more options besides the skimpy, that don't show 90% of skin and let them decide what they'll download. If I create a mod with less revealing stuff (which will be primarily for my own enjoyment) and only a very people download it, I'll still be glad that at least those few people had one more choice different than the rest. And, Signette, since you misinterpreted what I said, I won't bother answering your questions. Again, I never said female gamers avoid or should avoid playing games because of outfit/armor showing most of their skin.

About the abundance of over sexified stuff... a friend of mine was ranting about precisely that the other day about people "obsessing so much with sex mods and not creating anything to improve games, fix bugs, etc."

Usually both if available but veer towards female, because a kick-ass woman is just 'cool!', and I am male so suppose it's one of the few oppurtunities one gets to be that immersive as being someone else. I also like to play as other 'races' as I don't know exactly how I feel inside anyway despite light apparently portraying me as 'white' (or rather beige...). In fact I love playing as aliens, animals, or cyborgs given the chance!

I have tried to make a character that 'looks' like me... but that does feel a bit weird in my opinion. Like watching yourself on home movies or listening to yourself on the phone. Ughh!!

One thing is not being "politically correct" and another different one is being a total jerk. Everything in life changes, that includes games, so deal with it.

I'm sorry, but what is the problem??

EDIT: Further apologies, but I *think* I know what you are pointing to... (I think...) I am very happy for things to move forward, and that is actually kind of what I was trying to say in my original post... but yeah I guess it can be taken differently. Again, sorry to offend if I did, but was not my intention.

Holy crap :O That was intended for someone who said something kind of rude and said something like "I'm not politically correct... jadi-jadi-da." I obviously quoted the wrong post, my sincere apologies, didn't mean to give grief to the wrong person.

Usually both if available but veer towards female, because a kick-ass woman is just 'cool!', and I am male so suppose it's one of the few oppurtunities one gets to be that immersive as being someone else. I also like to play as other 'races' as I don't know exactly how I feel inside anyway despite light apparently portraying me as 'white' (or rather beige...). In fact I love playing as aliens, animals, or cyborgs given the chance!

I have tried to make a character that 'looks' like me... but that does feel a bit weird in my opinion. Like watching yourself on home movies or listening to yourself on the phone. Ughh!!

One thing is not being "politically correct" and another different one is being a total jerk. Everything in life changes, that includes games, so deal with it.

I'm sorry, but what is the problem??

EDIT: Further apologies, but I *think* I know what you are pointing to... (I think...) I am very happy for things to move forward, and that is actually kind of what I was trying to say in my original post... but yeah I guess it can be taken differently. Again, sorry to offend if I did, but was not my intention.

Holy crap :O That was intended for someone who said something kind of rude and said something like "I'm not politically correct... jadi-jadi-da." I obviously quoted the wrong post, my sincere apologies, didn't mean to give grief to the wrong person.

No sweat mate! Easily done :D

Nicely said, hagyjalbeken. Couldn't have said it better myself. Signette totally misinterpreted what I said. I never said girls avoid playing games because of the skimpy outfits and armors, I said some girls COMPLAIN about such outfits/armor. I think there should be more options besides the skimpy, that don't show 90% of skin and let them decide what they'll download. If I create a mod with less revealing stuff (which will be primarily for my own enjoyment) and only a very people download it, I'll still be glad that at least those few people had one more choice different than the rest. And, Signette, since you misinterpreted what I said, I won't bother answering your questions. Again, I never said female gamers avoid or should avoid playing games because of outfit/armor showing most of their skin.

About the abundance of over sexified stuff... a friend of mine was ranting about precisely that the other day about people "obsessing so much with sex mods and not creating anything to improve games, fix bugs, etc."

He didn't misinterprete it guess, your posts just reminded him of one of our earlier talks here, (his answer and questions were for me mostly i guess), since earlier we've been trying to figure out why there are much less female players, and one of the possible reasons i brought up were skimpy sexy stuff. I never said that it is the only thing that completely alienates female players, but i am sure there is a siginficant amont of them who won't even try a certain game because they'd think (with every reason) that it was made purely for males when they see the shallow boobified characters (and/or the supermacho weapon wielding musclemen).

Also i think that there are many-many bugfixes, which is not a good thing though, since there shouldn't be a need for them the first place :) (However the sex-mod/real content mod ratio is shameful)