Male or Female PC? How come?

Kanori24

I've never been a comic book fan either, but i do enjoy some of those superhero movies sometimes. My only problem with them is that studios should rethink the quality-quantity ratio and maybe come up with some new ideas, rebooting spiderman shouldnt be an annual event. They'll end up degrading the genre into pathetic money-grab low quality trash movies about baby spiderman with a radioactive golden retirever sidekick fighting against captain amreica who was turned evil by global warming.

About apple products, i am sure people buy them as some kind of fashion accesory, like it was the hipster gucci bag.

Honestly, from Marvel to DC I could watch without facepalm every other second and cringing only those 3 Iron Man movies and old Batman ones (first 3 in fact) of Burton and Schumacher. And I don't think they could really degrade anything in this genre as long is it will be up to date with visual effects and graphics + popular actors. I think people usually watch those types of movies with popcorn in hand and don't give a damn about scenario or what's going on there at all.

It must be cool to have some expensive accessory-toy, but I thought people tend to look for wider functionality on those types of devices... oh well.

I am sorry but i completely missed a sentence or something, but that is not what i wanted to write :tongue: (i am on a holiday and have limited time with a pc, i didnt re-read what i wrote and wasnt paying attention)

What i meant to write and missed was: I really like this book writing aspect of classic table-top rpgs too, but i am not much into table-top rpgs. I really dislike the dice-rolling, and that in some crpgs too. (instead of "the thing i dislkie in crpgs is the constant dice rolling") So i was mainly talking about table tops and a few games, especially morrowind, as in the example in the end i said it wold be perfect without the hit-and miss dice rolling system.

I dont know if it was there because of the engine limitations or they wanted it to look like table-top more, but it was a bad decision. It was so hard at the beginning of the game, almost all my fights depended on damn luck.

Heh, "alpha male macho" doesnt refer exactly to looks, it is more like a behaviour that females find attractive. But it is not a trait you are born with, it can be learned. Something like mathemathics, some have it easy, some hard, but anyone can learn it to some level at least. But many females expect men to have this skill at maths professor genius level. also i said "nonexistent personality" because it is mostly acting, it is always fake. However, females are doomed if they are ugly faced. You can lose weight, get healthy, get a nice clothing style, have a great hair, but you cant chage a non attractive face even with makeup (and that has to be washed off sometimes). So it is a bit more "unfair" on the female side. Not that i am angry, i stopped caring about these expectations (also i look "acceptable" to standards and i don't look for this fake macho personality in males), it is just really pathethic and sad.

I can't say much about tabletops, because I'm completely unfamiliar with them, and I can see that most cRPGs retain some likeness of TTs, but still, they are completely different types of games on big scale. When you play the game from isometric perspective and two or more characters hitting each other, when sometimes they miss or block with shield - it looks way more realistic and immersive than when everyone would just be hitting each other non-stop. Even when there's dice roll system, it works on the background, you thankfully don't have to throw dice for real and than stand there calculating hit/miss chances lol, so it's way more convenient - combat still goes in smooth flow. Though I completely agree that when you play FPS/TPS game with non-target combat system, having artificial misses is ridiculous, and I'm sure they left it in Morrowind simply to keep this old-school dungeon crawler feeling, nothing else.

To be honest, only "alpha male macho" types of behaviors I've seen was in high school, and it always looked ridiculous and even funny. The most popular dudes still were those with rich daddies or some who had cars or expensive looks (like clothes) at that time, and those guys acted pretty normal, like everyone else, so I'm not really sure about this stereotype. And what you mean by "face"? You do realize that it's purely tastes, right? Or you think all males have some single standard face in mind that everyone will like no matter what?... Countless times in my life I've seen things like some dude is all over a girl, she is incredibly, I mean terrifying ugly for me (like a nuclear war in flesh) from head to toe, but when I ask this dude (he is just a normal guy btw), he says like she's some goddess of unimaginable beauty in all seriousness. And things happened other way around too. That doesn't mean someone is ugly, it means it doesn't match tastes of said individual, so it's hard for me to understand what you really trying to say here.

I didnt say that showing sexy cartoon children will make more people pedo, i only assumed that some already deviant people who oppressed their unnatural desires more or less see these kinds of stuff in cartoons and might start to feel that their sexual preferences might not be so unhealthy and instead of seeking professional help they just accept it and might even "act" later. However, i dont think that this can become a significant widespread phenomenon, but it can be harmful, and i dont see any positive side of it. It is not a huge problem, but the world would be a little bit better place without it.

Heh, i actualy stopped to be excited about any future beth game. Or any game at all. It is a bad habit that only leads to disappointment.

Well, when you put it like that, it makes a lot of sense, yes, but still, some people are sick in the head, and you can never tell what my be a catalyst for their actions. I'm still 100% sure things like that will never be accepted in any even more or less civil society no matter the "mainstream", so those with some sanity left will still be afraid to break the law and get in jail (hopefully).

You know what, very rarely, but I still keep finding diamonds in the dirt. More often those are the games that came completely off the radar, some indie projects, or ones that had little or no advertisement campaigns. I can't be sure, but I think if you look over and try some genres that you didn't notice before, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's incredible, but some modern games impressed me a lot more than old ones, and I'm in gaming since NES times. There are still some dev teams that put their heart and soul in their projects.

Edited by Signette

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since TES Oblivion, i have always play as female. Initially, my reasons were the same as most people: love for the female butt, tired of typical male protags in most games, etc. Which later on become a habit. But it was enforced when I play some games where gender really matters, like Dragon Age Origins and Fallout NV. FNV is the best of them, with perks like Black Widow and Cherz la Femme having significant impact on gameplay.

But I soon realised why I love playing as a female - voice acting. Its not that the male VA are bad, but I just feel that female protags usually have better VA, like Jennifer Hale, Laura Bailey, Jo Wyatt and Grey DeLisle. In fact, I would go out of my way to play anything voiced by Laura Bailey. The woman has the voice of an angel, I could listen to her all day.

Honestly, from Marvel to DC I could watch without facepalm every other second and cringing only those 3 Iron Man movies and old Batman ones (first 3 in fact) of Burton and Schumacher. And I don't think they could really degrade anything in this genre as long is it will be up to date with visual effects and graphics + popular actors. I think people usually watch those types of movies with popcorn in hand and don't give a damn about scenario or what's going on there at all.

It must be cool to have some expensive accessory-toy, but I thought people tend to look for wider functionality on those types of devices... oh well.

True, superhero movies are fun as they are right now. I am just afraid that they might descend into b-movie level with low quality effects and actors who have seen better days if they are in constant urge to produce a new one every month. (see Fantastic 4)

BTW the first Burton Batman is cool :D The second, and Schumacher, not so much... i also dislike batfleck but that is because i dislike ben affleck much. But i generally like Batman. Who doesn't?

If people looked for functionality, there wouldnt be brands like gucci or versace... or apple.

I can't say much about tabletops, because I'm completely unfamiliar with them, and I can see that most cRPGs retain some likeness of TTs, but still, they are completely different types of games on big scale. When you play the game from isometric perspective and two or more characters hitting each other, when sometimes they miss or block with shield - it looks way more realistic and immersive than when everyone would just be hitting each other non-stop. Even when there's dice roll system, it works on the background, you thankfully don't have to throw dice for real and than stand there calculating hit/miss chances lol, so it's way more convenient - combat still goes in smooth flow. Though I completely agree that when you play FPS/TPS game with non-target combat system, having artificial misses is ridiculous, and I'm sure they left it in Morrowind simply to keep this old-school dungeon crawler feeling, nothing else.

To be honest, only "alpha male macho" types of behaviors I've seen was in high school, and it always looked ridiculous and even funny. The most popular dudes still were those with rich daddies or some who had cars or expensive looks (like clothes) at that time, and those guys acted pretty normal, like everyone else, so I'm not really sure about this stereotype. And what you mean by "face"? You do realize that it's purely tastes, right? Or you think all males have some single standard face in mind that everyone will like no matter what?... Countless times in my life I've seen things like some dude is all over a girl, she is incredibly, I mean terrifying ugly for me (like a nuclear war in flesh) from head to toe, but when I ask this dude (he is just a normal guy btw), he says like she's some goddess of unimaginable beauty in all seriousness. And things happened other way around too. That doesn't mean someone is ugly, it means it doesn't match tastes of said individual, so it's hard for me to understand what you really trying to say here.

I was referring mostly to tabletops, and the type i have played with my friend is pretty much based on dice rolls, even the stats of your character. My "rant" was more for tabletops. I have no real issues with the turn-based systems, i wasnt refering to that. You mentioned tabletops when we were talking about writing characters, the game i played came into my mind, than morrowind.

About "beauty", i guess you already figured that me and the people i am surronded with are not affected by these standardized beauty stuff, but it exists, there is a kind of genereralized beautiful face, and preferring it is quite common amongst males. Symmetrical, small nose, fat juicy lips, big baby eyes, flawless skin, straight white teeth with no gum showing, full cheeks, and the worst of all, a dumb facial expression with a slightly opened mouth that says i'd suck your junk. Most males fall for that :D I dont say everyone always goes for that but it is qute common to prefer that kind of female. Also most girls prefer boring macho douchebags who are rich, or at leat super outgoing and the centre of attention. Well, to be honest i dont really know how it goes because i am kind of a "weirdo" who prefers other "weirdos" sooo... it is just experience from my surroundings.

Well, when you put it like that, it makes a lot of sense, yes, but still, some people are sick in the head, and you can never tell what my be a catalyst for their actions. I'm still 100% sure things like that will never be accepted in any even more or less civil society no matter the "mainstream", so those with some sanity left will still be afraid to break the law and get in jail (hopefully).

You know what, very rarely, but I still keep finding diamonds in the dirt. More often those are the games that came completely off the radar, some indie projects, or ones that had little or no advertisement campaigns. I can't be sure, but I think if you look over and try some genres that you didn't notice before, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's incredible, but some modern games impressed me a lot more than old ones, and I'm in gaming since NES times. There are still some dev teams that put their heart and soul in their projects.

I still have my NES, and it is still working (and i accidentaqlly dropped it on concrete once) :) However, i had a huge break in gaming after that (friends, society, stuff) and started over around 2006. See my pm.

True, superhero movies are fun as they are right now. I am just afraid that they might descend into b-movie level with low quality effects and actors who have seen better days if they are in constant urge to produce a new one every month. (see Fantastic 4)

BTW the first Burton Batman is cool :D The second, and Schumacher, not so much... i also dislike batfleck but that is because i dislike ben affleck much. But i generally like Batman. Who doesn't?

If people looked for functionality, there wouldnt be brands like gucci or versace... or apple.

From what I can tell of where this is going, they will probably just swap actors with their 3D models and be done with it. Degradation in VFX will kill those movies flat and considering F4, not really interested but I heard that all fuss was up because torch guy was black in movie, nah? And on Batman, first was good, but tbh I haven't seen it as dark, as true and as immersive as Batman Returns movie, that was the real masterpiece for me.

Sadly I don't have gucci or versace, but ppl say it's pretty good quality, I mean it's good to have bag or shoes that don't fall apart after few months like ones "made in china" - at least some excuse for insane price, that and the fact you look all so superior to everyone around you in those threads, that's priceless.

I was referring mostly to tabletops, and the type i have played with my friend is pretty much based on dice rolls, even the stats of your character. My "rant" was more for tabletops. I have no real issues with the turn-based systems, i wasnt refering to that. You mentioned tabletops when we were talking about writing characters, the game i played came into my mind, than morrowind.

About "beauty", i guess you already figured that me and the people i am surronded with are not affected by these standardized beauty stuff, but it exists, there is a kind of genereralized beautiful face, and preferring it is quite common amongst males. Symmetrical, small nose, fat juicy lips, big baby eyes, flawless skin, straight white teeth with no gum showing, full cheeks, and the worst of all, a dumb facial expression with a slightly opened mouth that says i'd suck your junk. Most males fall for that :D I dont say everyone always goes for that but it is qute common to prefer that kind of female. Also most girls prefer boring macho douchebags who are rich, or at leat super outgoing and the centre of attention. Well, to be honest i dont really know how it goes because i am kind of a "weirdo" who prefers other "weirdos" sooo... it is just experience from my surroundings.

Huh, sad experience with tabletops than? I see, than no point for me going on about it no more, just please don't take it out on cRPGs out there, they are really different in that regard.

There might be "beauty" standard, but from my experience in relations with different types of people, I can't really remember any male adoring those so popular anorexic models in magz, and if what you say was true, I don't think you would ever find any married men. Seriously, tastes are so different. When I was teen, I thought I have certain beauty standard, but as life shows I don't, it's simply impossible to have one.

And having superboring rich macho around would be way better than having superboring poor bum, right? :wink:

I still have my NES, and it is still working (and i accidentaqlly dropped it on concrete once) :smile: However, i had a huge break in gaming after that (friends, society, stuff) and started over around 2006. See my pm.

I got special type of 8-bit NES as keyboard (for realz), with two gamepads in working order and few cartridges lol. Absolutely no idea why I keep this prehistorian junk in my drawer though...

Edited by Signette

In games where you have to stick with your choice for the entirety of the playthrough, like TES games, I always play male characters. In these types of games, I always like to pretend I am my character and am really living in the gameworld, which is harder for me to do if the player character is drastically different to who I am.

For the same reason, I have refrained from playing Orcs or any of the Beast races, as I simply can't identify with them while playing the game.

Ironically, none of my characters fall under the category of "Manly man" as just about all of them are androgynous looking Bishounen types, since I somehow really like that look.

However, if you can switch your gender mid playthrough, like in, for example, Saints Row 4, I sometimes do so, just to see what the different options in clothing and the like are and how they look on my character. But after a while I tend to switch back to my original male character.

From what I can tell of where this is going, they will probably just swap actors with their 3D models and be done with it. Degradation in VFX will kill those movies flat and considering F4, not really interested but I heard that all fuss was up because torch guy was black in movie, nah? And on Batman, first was good, but tbh I haven't seen it as dark, as true and as immersive as Batman Returns movie, that was the real masterpiece for me.

Sadly I don't have gucci or versace, but ppl say it's pretty good quality, I mean it's good to have bag or shoes that don't fall apart after few months like ones "made in china" - at least some excuse for insane price, that and the fact you look all so superior to everyone around you in those threads, that's priceless.

I dont think only superhero movies are about to become full CGI. The problem not with CGi though, its that they sacrifice good ideas and stories for more and more visual content. Fantastic 4 was hated because of its crappy and extremely boring story that doesn't make sense and dull characters that don't act a bit like the original ones.

I am pretty sure that gucci and versace stuff is also made in china, everything is. And it isnt better quality than a medium price clothing piece you buy in H&M f.e. for a much smaller price. Also its just a certain group of people who think you are superior wearing those, just like the apple fanboys. It is a symbol for you giving too much s*it about impressing others imho.

Huh, sad experience with tabletops than? I see, than no point for me going on about it no more, just please don't take it out on cRPGs out there, they are really different in that regard.

There might be "beauty" standard, but from my experience in relations with different types of people, I can't really remember any male adoring those so popular anorexic models in magz, and if what you say was true, I don't think you would ever find any married men. Seriously, tastes are so different. When I was teen, I thought I have certain beauty standard, but as life shows I don't, it's simply impossible to have one.

And having superboring rich macho around would be way better than having superboring poor bum, right? :wink:

Don't misunderstand, i love coputer RPGs, i just pointed out a small flaw that can annoy me and could live without it. It is like i got a few grey hairs in fallout 1 when i used up all my 9 action points to swing a knife in the air in front of a rat that i had 90% chance to hit, but i love the game as a whole, not even because of nostalgia, i played it first 2 years ago, and that bunch of pixels character i had in fo1 had much more personality and far more interesting adveture for me than my char in fo4 ever will. Maybe because i had to put together the story and the background from pieces of information i got through traveling and the game didnt try to feed it to me like i was a baby. I mean i felt like i achieved something when i found out that the damn chip is indeed where i figured it could be from the pieces of info i got, and it wasnt a big flashing arrow suddenly appearing on my map for no reason. (It was easy to figure out, but at least the game let me to do so). But enough fo4 bashing again, it is actually quite good (could've ben much better though), and i am thinking about picking it up again, maybe even mod it.

I know that people are not lke that actually, and everyone has their own preferences, but these ideals are what media forces us to like. It is like those brands mentioned before, they are no better than most products, still many people prefer them just because they are successfully presented in the media as preferable.

I'm glad i kept my NES because i still use it with my friends sometimes as some kind of nostalgia party, rarely though.

Female characters because I am a 'dirty old man' practising to be a 'dirtier older man'.

Truth I like to play as the 'other side' as I can not do in the real world but I have played as male main characters. In gameworlds there can be flexibility that is not part of the real world.

Or am I just making pathetic excuses for myself?

Either as a female, or male, character I focus mainly on game play and that is the real reason for being a gamer.

• 2 weeks later...

I play females because I prefer the looks and movements of female characters. I actually don't like generally being forced into either gender. In some games that have specific stories it's ok - like playing Uncharted or Tomb Raider, for instance. But I prefer a choice. I actively avoid Ubisoft now because their games are often two dimensional in terms of story but they still find any excuse they can not to include playable females.

My partner only plays females as well. He doesn't really play AS the character though, he sees them more as an individual he is responsible for or connected to, and he prefers female company in general.

@hagyjalbeken

Actually there's another reason for brands and "ideals" we talk about here. When person appears in certain society circle, it becomes mandatory to wear certain clothes, adore things accepted in those circles and etc even if deep inside person don't give a rats' ass about it all. Gotta few examples like that, pretty sad but that's how it is in life sometimes...

Getting back on topic, in RPGs like classic Fallout or some party cRPGs you usually percept group as a whole and it doesn't conflict with individual immersion (because it non-existent on certain level for me at least), so with rich story, lots of choices and consequences playing as female, or rather having mixed group of both genders and character archetypes is more rewarding and interesting I think. Do you?

I still prefer having male main character, but I can't completely identify myself with him, unlike games like TES, modern FO and others with first person view, weak RPG element, poor story and huge surivival/combat focus. I see your point about "book writing" perception of this, but considering last two points in my list, it must be real hard...

@hagyjalbeken

Actually there's another reason for brands and "ideals" we talk about here. When person appears in certain society circle, it becomes mandatory to wear certain clothes, adore things accepted in those circles and etc even if deep inside person don't give a rats' ass about it all. Gotta few examples like that, pretty sad but that's how it is in life sometimes...

Getting back on topic, in RPGs like classic Fallout or some party cRPGs you usually percept group as a whole and it doesn't conflict with individual immersion (because it non-existent on certain level for me at least), so with rich story, lots of choices and consequences playing as female, or rather having mixed group of both genders and character archetypes is more rewarding and interesting I think. Do you?

I still prefer having male main character, but I can't completely identify myself with him, unlike games like TES, modern FO and others with first person view, weak RPG element, poor story and huge surivival/combat focus. I see your point about "book writing" perception of this, but considering last two points in my list, it must be real hard...

Yes, playing in a party removes the focus from the actual player character, but the relation between the player character and the party members and the main decisions are always created by your character, so i wouldn't say there is no individual immersion.

Of course having an interesting story, choices and multiple characters is much more fun and rewarding, and yes, it is much harder to roleplay the way i do when there is no actual roleplaying possibility just a poorly written linear story in an otherwise great gameworld.

Also, as i said, i completely try to avoid to actually identify with my character, playing as "me" or as an "idealised version of me that can do everihing i cant" is something i find a lot less interesting than making up a whole new character with unique and interesting traits. Yes, this is a lot easier when the game works as an actual rpg. I think both approaches (the idealised self and the bookwriting) benefit more from a game that is built around choices and story and character building. if i think about it, this explains the huge numer of ass-boob babe characters in skyrim and fo3-4, since it requires a lot of effort to give personality to your character, for many people there is no other fun to have with it than mod them into supersexy porn dolls and send them to bloody battle.