Bill S. 978

ub3rman123

Here's the thought that didn't occur to them... If law enforcement can't even curtail illegal downloading and bootlegging of this media, how do they hope to stop streaming (which was actually leading to a decline in other forms of piracy and hurting people who actually make money off bootlegs)?

Nevermind the fact that this won't have any affect on anyone outside the US, especially after other countries see how badly it works. Have to wonder who they're really fooling here. :facepalm:

/insert proxy here

/insert ip change here

/insert any number of long-standing hacks/cracks/torrenting sites that've withstood numerous legal challenges here

/insert YT here

/insert Pandora here

Yep. Dumbest waste of paper this year, I think. And besides, at that, what are they going to do, "Oh, it came from your IP/MAC address, thus it must be you!" No. IP addresses and MAC addresses are so easy to hijack and or spoof. This'll probably go in the books with the 'piracy is bad' stuff. Derp-a-derp, but with no way to enforce it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thought that didn't occur to them... If law enforcement can't even curtail illegal downloading and bootlegging of this media, how do they hope to stop streaming (which was actually leading to a decline in other forms of piracy and hurting people who actually make money off bootlegs)?

Nevermind the fact that this won't have any affect on anyone outside the US, especially after other countries see how badly it works. Have to wonder who they're really fooling here. :facepalm:

/insert proxy here

/insert ip change here

/insert any number of long-standing hacks/cracks/torrenting sites that've withstood numerous legal challenges here

/insert YT here

/insert Pandora here

Yep. Dumbest waste of paper this year, I think. And besides, at that, what are they going to do, "Oh, it came from your IP/MAC address, thus it must be you!" No. IP addresses and MAC addresses are so easy to hijack and or spoof. This'll probably go in the books with the 'piracy is bad' stuff. Derp-a-derp, but with no way to enforce it.

Probably quite true, but, it will give the appearance of them attempting to do something. Which is what they are all about anyway.... not like they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about.

Probably quite true, but, it will give the appearance of them attempting to do something. Which is what they are all about anyway.... not like they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about.

Yes, but what they are appearing to attempt to kill are things involving new forms of media which have not yet had their full potential seen. This bill also shuts down sites like Hulu and Netflix, and even cable companies who pay for rights to host these shows on their services. The only thing this bill will accomplish is killing the expansion of new legal media, without doing anything about the problem.

I was also under the impression that Youtube and other services were doing a pretty good job in keeping whole episodes and movies off their site.

Netflixs might get a pass or maybe even licence to operate as they do operate more like Blockbuster. Granted if Netflixs goes Blockbuster will also loss its streaming movie and tv part as well which they have been starting to use for some time now. If this bill does go though then renting movies in my town is totally gone as the only way to rent a movie here is via Netflixs. The town use to have two rental places, then blockbuster moved in and they went under fast. Then when Netflix tore a whole right though blockbusters profit world wide, the blockbuster here got shut down, granted they didn't do to well because they didn't have good management.

What is wrong with attempting to protect their property. These people have invested large sums of money to produce these things and deserve to be compensated for their efforts. I doubt very seriously, if these people who pirate these items would be as open to allowing people to enter their own home and take what they wanted.

As far as netflix is concerned. I'm sure they have an agreement with those who produced these movies and are protected in some fashoin from this bill.

What is wrong with attempting to protect their property. These people have invested large sums of money to produce these things and deserve to be compensated for their efforts. I doubt very seriously, if these people who pirate these items would be as open to allowing people to enter their own home and take what they wanted.

As far as netflix is concerned. I'm sure they have an agreement with those who produced these movies and are protected in some fashoin from this bill.

This bill has nothing to do with piracy, I have said that quite a few times now...

Streaming copyrighted movies and TV shows is already illegal.

Downloading games is already illegal.

This bill has nothing to do with piracy, I have said that quite a few times now...

Read the second post in this thread. If the owning authority has been financial effected, then what else can you call it. You want to use someone else's property, you ask them

Read the second post in this thread. If the owning authority has been financial effected, then what else can you call it. You want to use someone else's property, you ask them

People buy games to play them, not to watch them.

Its illogical to think that you can lose profit from streaming game play.

Game companies do not want this bill to pass, do you really think this bill is for good?

People buy games to play them, not to watch them.

Its illogical to think that you can lose profit from streaming game play.

Game companies do not want this bill to pass, do you really think this bill is for good?

again read the post. If they aren't loosing money they won't have a case.