What was your first car and what was your favorite car.

kvnchrist

Sorry. I'm a truck driver and am setting at a truck stop several hundred miles away from my home. I bored S-less so I was wondering who are here and would like to get to know them

My first car was a 1967 Barracuda.

http://img211.imagevenue.com/loc880/th_47383_67_cuda_122_880lo.jpg

My dad bought it for me when I was about 17. He was into cars and called the thing a classic. I really didn't care about such things. A car was a car to me. It got me back and worth to where I wanted to go, and that was about it. I still hold those views today. Material things are what they are. I don't get impressed by the sell phone you can do 1000 things with. If I want a phone, I want a phone. I don't need to detect DNA with the thing. I found out, with the Swiss army hnife just how useless a multi-tasking toll is and I don't need to purchase something that brings me frustration. Live gives me too much of that already.

As for my car, the thing ended up hitting a wall about 20 miles an hour when a friend of my brothers couldn't find the break in time. I never saw him again and the thing went to the scrap yard from there. I never really liked the thing and my dad had left the family right after he got me the thing. When he came back, it was already gone and a few months later I was gone myself.

The car that I loved the best was a 1964 olds f85

http://img275.imagevenue.com/loc108/th_47565_120781.1965.Oldsmobile.F_85.4_Door.Sedan_122_108lo.jpg

I loved that car as much as I could ever love an inanimate object. It was short and sweet and it was just the right size. I am 5'5" and did weight about 95 lbs soaking wet with a rock inh my pocket. This was the first car I had that I didn't think it necessary to tie a rope to my leg, so if I got into a wreak, they could find me.

I took great pride in that thing till the transmission decided it didn't want to come along for the ride. I was into drugs and alcohol at that time and my priorities had changed drastically because of it. I lost a lot because of those two substances, but I have only myself to blame for that. The car ended up being towed to the junk yard and I got about 20 bucks for the whole bthing. I drank that up and didn't think a thing about it at the time.

I loved the beetle . I remember many times skating across many streets and avenues that other cars couldn't, and remembered seeing envy in the eyes of those who joked about my little car, when the weather was better.

I really don't like the new bug. I think it's the looks. I might just be going through the same mindset I had, when I saw STAR TREK TNG, when I was expecting more of the original STAR TREK.. I can't help it. I'm a nostalgia addict. Just look at my avatar.

I got my first car about two years ago, a white Opel Corsa. Not quite what I wanted, I was looking more at buying a VW Polo, but for my price range, I would have gotten an old beaten up Polo. Instead, I got an almost brand new (showfloor model) Corsa Lite. I can't say I have too many complaints about it, aside from the fact that fuel consumption is slightly higher than one would expect from a small car like it. Probably going to go down as my most loved car, because it was my first car. :P

My first car was a 2003 Citreon C-3 Avant.

Im the opposite end of the spectrum to our OP here, I'v been into cars since I can remember, am passionate about motorsport, and unlike a lot of people, don't really have any regional prefferences about buying cars.(most guys my age here wouldn't ever buy anything "foreign"

The C-3 was the first car I ever drove, and it damn near rates my favorite too. French cars are, atleast in recent years, very good, and the smaller they get, the better they get, with Citreon and Renault having a compact as their "best in the range" The reason French subcompacts are so good is because they are, more than anything, fun. I drove a rented Yaris half the age of my mother's C-3 once, and while it's probably better as a car, like many other compacts, it was soul shateringly boring to drive, and very uncomfortable.

The C-3 however was immensely good fun considering it didn't have any pretentions to being sporty, and was an N/A(ftnt1) 1.2 litre. Nonetheless it had massive amounts of power for such a tiny engine, sounded great at the RPM you'd drive at, and was great in the corners thanks to Stability Control, stiff-ish suspension, and big Michelin tyres. It was FUN, not fast, but fun, and it was great for doing the shopping and going to school in.

My favorite is my current car. I'd fully meant to buy a new car this time around, but the way taxes are at the moment, I'm simply not in a position to get what I want(In Australia, car purchases above 57,000(local) come with immense tax(43%) and in the case of the GT-R I wanted, that's more than 46,000 in tax onto the price) So since the WRX I intend to buy doesn't arrive until 2013, instead I bought a used car to get me around till I can finaly get new car money available. That used car was a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO-8.

For those that don't follow car racing, a Rally Race is a form of motor race popular during the 1960s through till about 2002, in which drivers compete for the fastest time from one to another end of a section of closed public road, usualy about 10-40 kilometres long. The tricky part is that the road is usualy a truly aweful road, such as the Acropolis Rally in Greece, which takes place on a road made of fine powdery dust, mixed through with millions of fist-or-larger sized rocks. A Rally Car needs thus to be very capable both on and off road, have exception durability, but also be able to drive fast and turn hard. The most famous Rally Car is the 1986 Audi Sport Quatro, the most succesful is the 1992 Lancia SuperDelta Integrale-RallySport, which won six world titles in a row against extremely strong opposition.

The Mitsubishi Lancer came into rally racing at the very end of the sport's popularity, shortly before a raft of rule changes, and a financial downturn, turned it from a sport with a dozen car makers in it, to a sport with two makers, and only one successful team. Nonetheless, and while no longer in production, the Lancer Evolution, popularly known as the EVO, was released in 1991 and was an immediate success for low-budget rally teams and trackday drivers alike. Mine is an EVO-8, one of the last of it's mighty kind, and probably the fastest recent generation(the Lancer lineage went into a downward spiral at EVO MK9, the EVO MK10, the last ever built, was a major regression, Mitsubishi no longer makes the EVO line of cars as of 2011 and has stated they will not be produced in future handing Subaru, their rival since time imemorial, the indesputed crown for the ultimate road-legal rally machine, with it's potent Impreza WRX-STI)

I've only just got it, bu I really like it, it's my first car with four-wheel-drive, let alone Traction Control(a computer device that manages wheel-spin, greatly enhancing your ability to turn at speed) and it's turbocharged 2.2 litre four cylender engine has proven itself to be the ideal platform for supertuning. I do trackdays quite often, so it'll probably slowly morph into a trackday monster as funds come available. It's my favorite more than anything however, because it can do 149 MP/H at Philip Island on saturday, and carry groceries on sunday.

Edited by Vindekarr

Google images tells me that this is a 2003 Citreon C-3 Avant.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2171194427_47e766a672.jpg

Sweet ride, bro.

I like older cars a lot. I think the 30s were a beautiful time for cars, but it's pretty rare to ever see one in a semi-restorable condition for cheap. Modern cars just lack the same style and flair the old ones have.

I swear, if I ever do manage to get my hands on a seriously old car, I wouldn't even care if it could break 55 miles per hour (My Beetle can't right now. Heheh). I don't have many occasions to go too fast anyways.

Google images tells me that this is a 2003 Citreon C-3 Avant.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2171194427_47e766a672.jpg

Sweet ride, bro.

I like older cars a lot. I think the 30s were a beautiful time for cars, but it's pretty rare to ever see one in a semi-restorable condition for cheap. Modern cars just lack the same style and flair the old ones have.

I swear, if I ever do manage to get my hands on a seriously old car, I wouldn't even care if it could break 55 miles per hour (My Beetle can't right now. Heheh). I don't have many occasions to go too fast anyways.

Somehow, I think the picture is in error.

If you saw the actual C-3 you'd probably laugh, it's a compact like any other, but that's why I like French cars. A hatchback doesn't have to be an appliance, it can be a very entertaining vehicle. See, while i may make no sense to an American manufacturor, a car doesn't need to be a mile long. Infact, shorter is often better. A car that's short lengthways and wide widthways gains a natural advantage in the corners by virtue of being much easier to turn around. That's why cars like the Mini Cooper are so succesful, they turn on a dime, and because the engine isn't hauling Manhattan in the trunk, it can get massive performance from a tiny engine. The original Mini is one of my all time favorites, it had a mere 100 horsepower at very best, but it weighed a third as much as virtualy any other car on the road, so that little engine really didn't have to work very hard.

The worst car I've ever had? ehh, it's a hard call really, it's very cold where I live, in winter, especialy, it gets viciously cold very early in the afternoon, and only warms up about 11 AM. Thus any car I buy I typicaly want a gasoline engine, or electric if possible, since big SUVs and Trucks become extraordinarily unreliable in the cold climate. A Diesal engine you see, doesn't work like a petrol. Petrols work by putting flammable fuel into a series of tubes, mixing it with equally flammable oxygen, and then using an electric spark to ignite it, the explosion pushes down a piston, and that turns a crankshaft. More or larger pistons add more power, Turbochargers, and other devices that give you richer oxygen, also help.

A Diesel works like a petrol but wheras a petrol has a set of Sparkplugs, a Diesal has a Glowplug that emits radiant heat rather than an electric arc. Once the engine is going, the heat of combustion keeps the reaction going, since Diesals don't have electrics, they don't "drown" when the engine gets wet. However in Victoria, in the winter, I've found out the hard way that Diesals may be waterproof, but in temperatures around freezing, as it gets in the ealy morning here, they Just. Dont. Start. Thus my Range Rover, when I had it, was a bugger to get running on cold winter days, some times it just simply wouldn't turn over at all, and just because it was cold. Eventualy I learned from a local farmer that you can "cold-start" a Diesal by holding a burning Kerosene drenched rag in front of the Airbox, but I don't like having to use a burning branch just to start my car.

The other true horror I owned was a 1981 Bedford van, it was black, matte black, had a Rover V-8 that sounded like an earthquake, big nobbly off-road tyres, a bullbar, roof lights-a properly badass looking bull of a van, and great for my job back then as a small time mechanic. But I sold it when I got my first girlfriend because while some cars are reffered to as chick-magnets, this had the opposite effect, the fairer sex fleeing before it like rats before the piper.It was funny at first, especialy when I re-did the paint and they fled faster, but eventualy I got tired of people staring at me like I was an axemurderer and got rid of the damn thing. Bloody vans.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/Vindekarr/620px-1971-1981_Bedford_CFS_van.jpg

Supposedly it's a murderer's car or something. I'd be more worried about the shear unmitigated ugliness of the thing, but meh.

Edited by Vindekarr

Hehe, the first car I ever drove was a beat up '94 Astro. Looked like this except that the paint didn't match on all the panels.

http://www.travelbc.bc.ca/cms_images/for_sale/94_Astro_Gray.JPG

It earned the name Astrosaur for a reason.

I currently have a '92 Astro.... one of the all wheel drive varieties. Great winter transportation. I have less than a thousand bucks into it. :D

My first transportation was a 1970 Honda 350..... a vibrational weight-loss plan on wheels.....

My first CAR was a 1972 Dodge Challenger R/T. 340 Magnum, and pistol grip four speed. That car was a BLAST. I drove it for the better part of 10 years, and only got one ticket with it.... for loud exhaust. (no exhaust would have been more accurate.)

I have been a gearhead since I was in my early teens. Started working on cars at 14, and haven't stopped. (but, I have slowed down quite a bit....) I love the old american iron.... but, like the fuel economy/driveability of fuel injected engines better....

My daily driver these days is a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4......