Murdoch's News of the World Closes

Aurielius

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nice man..I remember The Times before he bought it, then it was at least a decent newspaper now it's something to be put at the bottom of the budgerigar's cage and there is still a chance that he will gain control of BSkyB?

What a nice man..I remember The Times before he bought it, then it was at least a decent newspaper now it's something to be put at the bottom of the budgerigar's cage and there is still a chance that he will gain control of BSkyB?

The BSkyB deal is looking less likely by the day, the opposition want to put it to a vote in the house, if they manage to do that they are very likely to win and that would end the deal there and then. It could be dumped in the lap of the broadcasting regulator who would conduct a "fit and proper" test on the owners, that could well lose them the 39% they already own. The best they can hope for is the government kick it into the long grass for now and then maybe return to it at a later date. The problem for Murdoch is his political influence has evaporated, no politician in their right mind would want anything to do with him at the moment and with further revelations to come that isn't likely to change for a very long time if ever.

In a way all this is good, he's been a cancer at the heart government for many years. Both the main parties have been more concerned with keeping Murdoch happy than they have serving the people.

"Human wind chimes has entered my mind as a spring cleaning of our government as well."

Historically speaking, people who think along those lines tend to give rise to something, in the event that they ever achieve power, far worse than that which they seek to replace.

Edited by roquefort

News has just broken that they have withdrawn the bid for BSkyB, this followed condemnation of the plans from all sides of the house this afternoon. It really does look like Murdoch has lost his influence completely, we're finally free from what has been a cancer on our democracy.

News has just broken that they have withdrawn the bid for BSkyB, this followed condemnation of the plans from all sides of the house this afternoon. It really does look like Murdoch has lost his influence completely, we're finally free from what has been a cancer on our democracy.

Under the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act if News Corp is convicted of criminal activity such as bribery in the UK then the owners and board are liable under US law and could face federal investigation and possible indictments. Unlike the UK, Murdoch though powerful does not have the same strangle hold on media outlets over here and will not be able to contain the damage as effectively.There is now question whether the same practices extend to activity relating to US citizens which is a federal crime. Though I am self admitted conservative I find it disturbing that Fox News is quiet on this item of news, they should have their feet held to the fire as much as they hold liberals to the same, no one is above the law.

Edited by Aurielius

Under the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act if News Corp is convicted of criminal activity such as bribery in the UK then the owners and board are liable under US law and could face federal investigation and possible indictments. Unlike the UK, Murdoch though powerful does not have the same strangle hold on media outlets over here and will not be able to contain the damage as effectively.There is now question whether the same practices extend to activity relating to US citizens which is a federal crime. Though I am self admitted conservative I find it disturbing that Fox News is quiet on this item of news, they should have their feet held to the fire as much as they hold liberals to the same, no one is above the law.

interesting point