Can people play Fallout New Vegas without Steam?

dree74

Is there an opportunity to patch backwards? Since the latest patch came out my game is crashing frequently. Haven't seen any downloadable official patches aside of Steam yet. Edited by tortured Tomato

After you have installed and activated New Vegas you can force Steam to go offline and it will be much faster to startup. That is almost always how I play. Even so, it is always irritatingly slow but not as bad in offline mode. You can also turn off auto updates, though in the past that has not always worked, so that feature sucks because you can't really depend on it. When I know a NV patch is coming within the week I usually start backing up stuff in my data folder and I slow down modding activity if I don't think current steps will be finished before the new engine arrives.

As a rule nowdays. I always keep my STEAM in offline mode. I dont have any STEAMS friends I would want to chat with while playing. Just staying in offline mode avoid so many issues and headaches.

I dang well wish it wasnt considered illegal to play your legal copy of Fallout New Vegas without steam, that thing pisses me off...

I hate steam so much! Sometimes I don't buy games if they mention steam on the back of the box! I just don't get the point of it. It's not as if pirating has stopped because of Steam, so why make us download this rubbish third-party nightmare!

I hate steam so much! Sometimes I don't buy games if they mention steam on the back of the box! I just don't get the point of it. It's not as if pirating has stopped because of Steam, so why make us download this rubbish third-party nightmare!

I'm certainly not a Steam enthusiast but I see the point of their existence. It is not just a DRM method. It is a digital distribution network. A way for game companies to sell digital-only. Many start-up companies and indies cannot afford the nightmare that is retail shelf publishing at various stores. A guy I work with loves Steam because every game he has ever purchased with Steam is available for him to install on any computer he has even if he no longer has the original media.

I thought it fairly cool when my nephew was able to jump onto any computer, install Steam, and install his latest game he was playing...it followed him around. Something I thought was a major selling point to the platform.

A digital distribution system also allows publishers to be much more flexible in their price points. They can answer questions such as "Is it more profitable to sell fewer number of copies @ $50.00 each or more copies @ $35.00 each." They can obtain valuable market metrics that are impossible to calculate at the retail level. I'm guessing this has been working since I keep hearing about all kinds of temporary / sweet deals happening every once in a while on Steam.

LHammonds

LHammonds --

Well, when you put it that way, it does sound pretty cool. My current situation means I can only use mobile broadband internet, which is extremely slow, so Steam gets frustrating sometimes. Once I bought Empire: Total War, and steam made me wait like 2 days before I could play it, as it was downloading a mandatory patch, even though I'd just bought the game and installed it. And it wasn't a regular update patch, it was actually missing files from the disk (deliberately missing) so the user had to download the extra stuff from steam to play. It was presumably an anti-piracy measure. It took about two days for me to download it, mostly due to bugs in steam. A lot of other people reported the same problem.

The only thing that I don't like about Steam -- as a matter of fact, about any digital distribution method -- is the enforced regional restrictions. Due to the regional distribution agreement -- probably exclusive -- with Cenega, the release of Dead Money suffered a one-month delay in Eastern-Europe, compared to the rest of Europe. I always wondered why publishers did not limit exclusive distribution to localized copies, allowing regional end-users to purchase a global English version with global DLC support. I doubt that a developer would release a DLC that would require resubmitting the game for a review of its PEGI rating.

you can make a desktop shortcut and set steam to offline mode then you wont need to see the steam pages it will go straight to the game you will not get any of the achievments or other stuff that requires being online while playing. most all the single player steam games can be played in offline mode.

About the only thing i dont like about services like steam is they have the ability to do things like they did when they decided not to support windows 98 any more no warning just turned off all the ones that had 98 untill they upgraded to xp or higher even though the games themselves worked without needing anything more. they can do the same in the future when they decide xp vista or 7 are outdated since it has to connect to be put in offline mode and autoupdates itself when it connects they did support windows 98 longer than most others did though.

I am working I a method of doing just that but actually Not doing it, it will appear that way, just need more time.

I've got to say that when I first read that I was skeptical (for reasons I don't need to go into), but I see you figured it out.

The picture you posted in your Stabilizer mod thread clearly shows the game running, but no there is no sign of Steam.

ToMatchA7Notseen by OS as intended and is running

I have a Retail version of the game too, but can't work out how you did that. Can you share your method?