Can people play Fallout New Vegas without Steam?

dree74

I am working I a method of doing just that but actually Not doing it, it will appear that way, just need more time.

I've got to say that when I first read that I was skeptical (for reasons I don't need to go into), but I see you figured it out.

The picture you posted in your Stabilizer mod thread clearly shows the game running, but no there is no sign of Steam.

ToMatchA7Notseen by OS as intended and is running

I have a Retail version of the game too, but can't work out how you did that. Can you share your method?

I share every thing Baby ! yes indeed, Click my link in the Signature and your welcome to join in as long as no Ill advised things take place and the mod doesn't have an issue as you know, I did what I said I was going to do, and I abide by the aggregation, whether or not, the scolding still applies I am not certain, I have no Ill regard s to the matter as far as I am concerned, Yes as you can see, I did indeed work it out, you Ain't seen nothing yet.

As to the method ? I hope reading is your favorite pass time because it's all there on my thread, And I had a lot of help too ! Thank you.

The answer is very simple, Steam can not access the file if another program or Programs have access to it first, The Geck, Fomm, Fnvedit all have the EXE in it's grasp, Steam does NOT access those programs, Only NVSE and the executable, To qualify the game to run, it just needs to see it and read the CRC of it, Checks its own log and retires as it is set to play off line, As long as you have another program in charge of the file, Steam Can not and will not inter-fear with it. The Geck alone preloads the file into ram, No injection is possible.

• 3 weeks later...

well after reading this i have decided not to get fo-nv, i HATE STEAM, will not own a steam game.

and i havent heard much positive for fo-nv anyway. i have all the copies of fallout, from wasteland on 3 1/2 disks to fo3, but after learning of the steam conection with fo-nv, it will not be among them. what a crappy idea to use steam.

There is a legion of TES fans literally cornered into using Steam now. I am one of them.

well if enough folks said no to steam and didnt buy anything connected with it, they would soon change thier tune about using it

Edited by sandman5

There is a legion of TES fans literally cornered into using Steam now. I am one of them.

well if enough folks said no to steam and didnt buy anything connected with it, they would soon change thier tune about using it

[regarding piracy]

Steam is just another measure against using piracy. Bethesda would need to weigh up the amount of people prevented from pirating the game by using steam against the number of people wouldn't buy the game for that reason. They don't care about how easy something is to use so long as they get paid. Pirates :pirate: will Always find a way to crack things. a lot of people also use piracy as a way to test games, if they don't like it they don't have to buy it, as well as people who can't afford the games because they have to many life related problems. Sadly though the majority of them are just theives which forces the developers resort to measures such as using cd protection and other annoying things which puts more strain on people who have bought the game than the pirates themselves. There's a few games that came up with much more clever means of copyright protections. Such as two worlds 2 which makes you type in your serial twice and batman arkham asylum which was released online with a bug that only people who downloaded it had. If bethesda would just take the time to be a little bit more creative like these games there wouldn't be any issue. And then of course you have the atrocious game companies such as EA who sue kids in college for everything they have effectively destroying their lives which makes me sick to my stomach because here the punishment does not fit the crime and they are just plainly not just immoral but amoral. So all I can say is; I would rather be forced into using steam than have some broke petty thief have their entire lives ruined by evil companies.