why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

so in the end, its because of Steam that soo many ppl pirate FONV...i knew there had to be a common link.

as for the Steam debate my thread has generated, ill give my two cents as well.

i dont mind Steam personally. i find it nice im able to buy games right from my PC, often at much cheaper prices then i could if i bought a hard copy. so Steam itself is very nice. i dont care for the fact you NEED Steam to be able to play the hard copy of games such as FONV. esp when FONV is purely an offline game and i can see many ppl without internet wanting to play that game and now cant or even NEED Steam to buy games you bought of Steam. i can see how that can annoy ppl. the only other thing that worries me about steam is well one my info is now on the internet (not only from Steam, but in Steam as well) so thats just one more place to be hacked. but also, what if Steam goes bankrupt or something, say i buy 10 games, thats a s*** ton of money i just lost because i have no hard copy.

on a separate note, can you burn those Steam games to a disk to make a hard copy or is that illegal? if it is, nvm........although now thinking, that even if you could burn them to a disk, in the event Steam went down for good, those games wouldnt work anyways, without Steam (like FONV) so nvm on that idea lol.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam has a build in back up feature designed to burn to disk, it will separate them into 700mb cd size or single layer 4.whatever gig for you.

The reason ppl are pirating isn't steam, steam is the reason more are detected, since like Thandal was saying if someone says "I'm using the not steam version of Oblivion", that's the disk version,. If they say non steam or disk and not steam version for New Vegas, well they downloaded/pirated since even disk requires Steam activation and installation.

EDIT: New vegas is also back on steam sale at £9 (70% off) and DLC £2.24 for any one interested.

yes but wouldnt you still require Steam to play any games on disk?

on the sale: i cant get into FONV. got it for PS3 originally (played FO3 on it) didnt like it. traded it in, bought FONV for PC, didnt do anything more me. tried some mods, even made a couple of my own (weapons) and still wasnt sucked in. ill go back eventually but im in no hurry, hence DLC isnt worth it to me, maybe if i get sucked into it later with mods i might consider DLC but right now, no way.

Yes. The backup function is really helpfull, but connection is still required anyway. But btw, the DLCs are quite cheap today on Steam and the game 15€...

Its absolutely worth it

Edited by tortured Tomato

yea, the only reason id back up would be to use in case Steam goes down, but in that case, they would be useless anyways.

and im saying for me the DLC isnt worth it because i dont like that game, cheap or not. i did buy two games though, Shogun 2 and Dawn of War Retribution, neither of which ill be able to play until i build my PC, which could be in a couple months, or next summer, who knows.

You only have to connect in order to verify the DRM, you can play without a connection any time. You do not have to be connected to play. For the first 2 months I played offline only. But now I like the online mode because I'm starting to enjoy the social aspect.

A lot of the folks I know who 'pirated' Fallout: New Vegas actually own copies of the game legitimately.

For the most part, the number-one benefit to having a pirated version is that they've been cracked in such a way so as to allow you to play -without- dependence on the Steam service. Any time you make playing a game you have purchased a Hard Copy of dependent upon a third-party service for activation... you are just asking for people to rip off your game. In the case of New Vegas though, most people ran out and BOUGHT a copy of the game... then realized they'd have to use Steam to activate it and said: "Well s***, I don't have interweb access and don't know how to read packaging or reviews of the game, blah blah blah."

The result is that they wind up with a game they just payed $60 dollars, US to -not- play.

I don't support the concept of piracy... but when the 'rules' dictate to you that you -can't- legally play your copy of a game (the one you paid for) because you refuse to submit to an unwanted third-party service in order to play it... I can empathize with those who do choose to go that route. I really can. I know that, if I didn't love Steam just as much as I do... I would probably have been one of them.

That being said, there's another large group of folks I know who have pirated the game: The Game-Demo Activists.

Game-Demo Activists are the ultimate supporters of the 'Try it Before you Buy it' philosophy. I have many friends who absolutely refuse to purchase a game unless they have played it previously and know they will enjoy it. In many cases, games these days provide -no- public demo to entice the player to buy, essentially relying upon looking -so- amazing that nobody first considers whether or not they really want to throw down full-price on a game they may not find enjoyable at all.

And with the game industry declaring all-out war on the Video-Game Resale Market... what usually ends up happening is that you find yourself saddled with a game you not only can't trade-in... but one which you can't even re-sell... leaving you with no recourse but to accept the loss of your hard-earned money.

This is another group with which I can sympathize. There are many games which I absolutely refuse to buy, because there is no means by which I can play them and get to know whether I would enjoy them or not. I, for one, am content to either wait until a friend has obtained a copy and play his... or scour YouTube in search of a satisfactory "Let's Play" in hopes of determining whether the game is worth putting down what little income I have available for gaming.

So my answer to your question would be... the mentality and methods of the Game Industry has changed... and piracy of their products is in large part a means for folks who are dissatisfied with their treatment at the hands of these companies to express their discontent. While there are some who, as previously stated earlier in the thread, simply steal because they'll steal anything they can get away with stealing... there are others still who see the theft as a sort of activism or statement, and others still who simply want to play their games but fall through the cracks thanks to poor business practices by game Publishers and Developers.

It's a byproduct of technology outpacing business models... and business models in turn acting as if the TECHNOLOGY ought to bend to their whims, rather than their needing to evolve and grow as an industry. You see the same in the Music Industry and Movie Industry too. The 'Adult Entertainment' industry has been solving this problem for centuries by hunting you down and breaking your legs... but let's hope that this isn't how our game developers and recording artists decide to handle the situation.

Interestingly, Steam users get a lot of demos, screenshots, friend recommendations etc.

I have no sympathy for people who don't want to use Steam. Don't want to use steam? Play something else. As the point has been made repeatedly,

Click Steam and then Go Offline..., problem solved.

...I find it kinda fail to say that some doesn't have internet access as an excuse to pirate games but do manage to get a pirated version. Yeah there are people that truly can't use their own pc for internet, but most people do have access to internet these days.

The try before you buy group is fairly small and majority of the people referring to the reason play the game completely before buying are just regular pirates. Terraria is a good example of this, they knew there were pirated versions out there because of a loophole in the updating and didn't mind it too much if they did it to try the game. However, peoples started creating auto-updaters which were massively used and clearly indicated the game wasn't 'tried before being bought' at all, that's where even indie developers knew that a big part is still pirates and they closed the loophole. I can agree in having a demo from time to time, but if a game doesn't seem to have shown enough in videos or reviews it offers a good play then I either do or don't take the risk. With steam around with their Sales, I'll just wait until a game is on sale instead if I doubt a non-demo game too much. That's actually the reason why I use steam, not because they have sales....every game gets on sale eventually at places. But the fact it's easy to see when a game is on sale and it's a central point most are offered and it's usually more early on sale as well.

Little income is never an excuse to pirate, you don't need to or can't play most games that are out there and the ones that have less money do manage to save enough money to get their games. Yes not all jobs in the world pay much or are available, but isn't it irony that pirates always complain they have no money...yet download dozens of games and seem to have chosen to spend their time gaming instead of working? Would I want to play all games available? Yeah, I do want to drive all cars in the world and have 10 houses and 5 PCs to play a game on to..somehow that's easier to find ridiculous then a pirate justifying downloading a game 'because the companies earn enough money anyway and I have too little'. Facts will never change and I can't eat a quality piece of steak every day, it's actually just awful if someone pirated a game while you paid the full deal for it. That's not stupid, it's normal. Most people that pirate games aren't in the 10% group that really can't afford any game and just don't want to pay for games at all.

I'm not so sure what the topic has to do with Demo-activists on nexus anyway as the second you visit this place you're most likely playing it as a full game. I think the risk of a game not working equal of people buying games and not liking them, deal with it :P.

I don't like gaming's been more focussed on consoles and the amount of demos has decreased, yet it's a fail excuse to pirate and lately there's a small increase of Demos again as PC-usage has been more profitable again. You can't have all and you can't be always satisfied with every thing you buy..things like that happen with all types of other goods all the time.

//

Steam's just a one time activation and the program itself is little to blame and it's better than any other crazy DRM tactics I've seen used on a lot of games. As jim_uk said: Steam's offline mode is the easy exit. If you hate it too much just don't play the game at all.

Edited by Pronam