why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

People pirate because they can. It's as simple as that.

It people could run round everyday and steal a 2 quid coin from random people, they would, because the could...

There are exceptions. For example, people pirate SDL stuff because they literally cannot afford it, especially if they are starting off.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Data collection can be overdone, but sometimes to much anonyminity just leads to having to share a good place with a lot of idiots and theives. I've spent a bit of time on SecondLife and the amount of botfarming going on there reached a point where there were 3 times as many bots logged in as actual people before the people running the game came to their senses. You could create a free account using a yahoo address and do what ever you pleased. Shonksters and idiots worked out that you could bump your store up in the search by putting 90 disposable account avatars in a box in the sky above your store. There was a 100 avatar limit per sim so this pissed off the other 20 people sharing the same sim who found themselves locked out at times. Some would fill an oppositions store with dummy customers so no real customers could get in or to crash the sim and some of the dumb ones even put 100 traffic bots in their own sim and wondered why they had no customers :)

Then some areas were declared adult requiring verification to access them, people in those sims complained about how easy it was for underaged access but still maintained their "right" to be 100% anonymous there are millions of dollars going in and out of the game, it's a great way to launder dirty money I suspect by passing money through a few hundred automated dummy sales transactions.

As far as being forced to use 3rd party software, we're required to use Hardware Drivers, Windows, Adobe and al sorts of other software for some computer applications too :)

Edited by ozziefire

Not being able to afford something (especially a luxury, like games) is a reason to WAIT/SAVE, not steal.

I agree but in the case of the translation industry, the leading provider SDL charges about 2,000 USD for Trados, a CAT tool, many beginners in the industry can't afford that, there are alternatives that are cheaper but SDL has a stranglehold on the industry, where every company demands that a translator use Trados. It's not a luxury but a necessity. I bought mine at a discount but they are hard to come by. But games are definitely a luxury and I am very selective about what I buy, I don't just play anything, which is why I was so disappointed with DA2...I even bought the strategy guide for it... :confused:

Steam still is a little suspicious for me. E.g. yesterday, it made a client update.

Which normally is fine, I love updates. Anyway, I headed over to the Steam-Client-Update-History and guess what, ther's no update announced for the 13.07.2011, but for the 13:06 , err o'clock???

I also got an application crash, so I decided to uninstall steam and to reinstall it completely after backuping my game files.

I reinstalled and what happened? I got an error, that it's not recommenended to start steam in compatibility mode. Since I never activated any compatibility mode, I also checked it on the Steam.exe and there's no such mode activated, I'm starting to wonder how I can fix that. And this is just one of this minor problems with the client. There are some way worse.

Wouldn't it be cool to just install your games like in these good old days there you just put your DVD into a DVD-drive?

Edited by tortured Tomato

Not being able to afford something (especially a luxury, like games) is a reason to WAIT/SAVE, not steal.

I agree but in the case of the translation industry, the leading provider SDL charges about 2,000 USD for Trados, a CAT tool, many beginners in the industry can't afford that, there are alternatives that are cheaper but SDL has a stranglehold on the industry, where every company demands that a translator use Trados. It's not a luxury but a necessity.

Barriers to entry are found in all kinds of situations.

Sorry, but stealing the tools to do your job is still stealing.

ZERO sympathy from me for anyone who does so.

Software pirates want to foster the delusion that somehow it's not the same as if they were stealing an object.

Physically, there's a difference. Ethically, none.

I don’t think it’s a Steam problem. Do people who pirate FNV buy other softwares which are not steam related? As far as I know, they are likely to pirate anything including games, movies, music, comics, everything they can get in the internet. FNV case is just easy to catch, that’s all.

The reason is god-instinct. It takes like 3 mins to pop up the full list of released downloadable softwares and take 1~2 hours to download 3 things at a time *while watching TV*. It doesn’t even need to unwrap packages; few clicks than all is ready to set up. It feels like picking up a coin on the street, so they never feel it as guilt. Above all, it’s a free wasteland! *They even tease others who bought a game as Fanboys of that game.* That’s what I have seen in the community I livin since the internet has propagated so fast; so rapidly that moral couldn’t catch up a right moment and still.

Software pirates want to foster the delusion that somehow it's not the same as if they were stealing an object.

Physically, there's a difference. Ethically, none.

Well I'd agree that both are illegal, but the software pirate is correct in law (if there's a country that classes the 2 crimes as identical then I'm unaware of it).

The big anti-piracy campaigns are funded by industry, and often have catchy phrases such as "Piracy is Theft" in their literature.

Some orgnisations even have 'software theft' in their names. Federation Against Software Theft.

That's BS, as if they actually tried to pursue the Theft offence the defense lawyer would have an easy win.

Software Piracy is Copyright Infringement. Yeah, Piracy is bad m'kay. There's no need to try to argue that it's a greater/different crime.

Anybody would be pissed at having their copyrights infringed.

Although some companies have stated that they'd rather see their software pirated than having the user pirate or buy their competitors wares.

(See MS quotes here The effects of copyright infringement on digital culture)

It makes me laugh when I see people argue "How would you feel if your items were stolen?" when arguing the evils of Software Piracy.

If a big white van pulled up in the night and stole all my belongings, yes of course I'd be pissed.

If the white van somehow 'pirated' all my belongings, hell how could I possibly be pissed? I'd wake up and not even know.

Funny how people still manage to get FO:NV to work even though it uses Steam as DRM. Seriously.... no need to put on us paying users more DRM. Pirates will still always manage to crack it.