why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

Software pirates want to foster the delusion that somehow it's not the same as if they were stealing an object.

Physically, there's a difference. Ethically, none.

If the white van somehow 'pirated' all my belongings, hell how could I possibly be pissed? I'd wake up and not even know.

Ok, nice strawman there but Thandal was stating ethically - how about if they replicated all of the belongings you had spent your own time and effort creating for the express purpose of selling and earning a living from?

If you actually enjoy digital media and want to see it survive this is not a position you can continue to stand by.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Software pirates want to foster the delusion that somehow it's not the same as if they were stealing an object.

If the white van somehow 'pirated' all my belongings, hell how could I possibly be pissed? I'd wake up and not even know.

Ok, nice strawman there but Thandal was stating ethically - how about if they replicated all of the belongings you had spent your own time and effort creating for the express purpose of selling and earning a living from?

If you actually enjoy digital media and want to see it survive this is not a position you can continue to stand by.

Except for the fact that none of the pirates gain money from what they do. The point of piracy is that it's FREE.

Most of them probably only do it as a hobby. I don't doubt that some of them are professional programmers for legitimate companies, just looking to practice.

Although the rest of your post is right. Piracy will eventually bring the industry down.

Except for the fact that none of the pirates gain money from what they do. The point of piracy is that it's FREE.

Most of them probably only do it as a hobby. I don't doubt that some of them are professional programmers for legitimate companies, just looking to practice.

Although the rest of your post is right. Piracy will eventually bring the industry down.

I never said they necessarily make money from it - but they are preventing other people from legally making money.

If you think my post was defending software pirates then you missed my point.

I already said that I (or anyone) would have the right to be pissed if somebody infringed a copyright.

And I'd have the right to pursue a copyright case in court. A theft case would be futile though.

Would it make you happier if I said I thought software pirates were scumbags? :)

I do enjoy digital media, and it's because it is covered by IP laws that this is so.

If ideas were covered through the criminal law of theft, then we'd all be much poorer in the choices available to us.

So the OP's question has been answered but the debate continues. Just curious, has there been a thorough research of the impact of piracy? As impossible as it sounds, I would like to read actual reliable analytical statistics. Have read enough of the usual arguments going around.

I can see why companies would be worried or unhappy with not being able to profit as much as they loved to, sometimes I wonder if each pirate would even buy the product if piracy did not exist. How many pirate would help recommend worthy products to potential buyers simply by blogging, reviewing, discussing about the product, like viral marketing reaching a larger network which would not be as viral if piracy didn't exist.

No doubt it will be hard to believe if piracy has any positive effect on sales, I am rather curious on the net effect and I am rather skeptical game companies would starve from piracy.

I must be too bored..

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

And a thief is a thief no matter how you try to make it sound romantic.

In reality we don't care and won't know unless you tell us, tell us and your time here comes to an abrupt and permanent end.

And on that note, there is nothing left to discuss..

<LOCKED>

Buddah