Downloads vs. Unique Downloads

AurianaValoria1

This is something I've wondered since first posting a mod here. What's the difference between downloads and unique downloads?

Sorry if it's something really obvious that's practically slapping me in the face. :blush:

It is obvious. Downloads is the total number of times something has been downloaded. Unique Downloads is the ammount of downloads per IP/account (Don't know which one it is actually). So if I download one of your mods twice, it'll count 2 for Downloads and 1 for Unique Downloads. Shame on you! :dance: Edited by Yoshh

The difference is whether it's the same, or a different downloader. A mod author, (for example) might make repeated tests of the d/l just to make sure everything's working correctly, but you wouldn't want that to overly impact the mod's (apparent) popularity. :biggrin:

I'm not sure if it's people just making sure they have the latest version, but I find it peculiar how a lot of my individual files sometimes have twice as many downloads as unique ones (I'm not looking at the all time downloads).

I've half wondered if it's from people tracking files and then getting alerted when I edit anything on the entry's front page? I don't make much use of the tracking feature myself, but I figure it's got to be something like that.

Any idea why these 2 values can fluctuate? I've seen the unique DL counter go lower quite a number of times.

It's me. I'm DLing everybody's mods 30 times each day in an experiment to see how long my hard drive will hold out. :whistling:

Part of it is probly from a while back when we had a sudden HUGE rush of downloads come off the servers. And then a buttload of our mods showing up on other sites w/out permission to do so.

Most likely those sites were using multiple download sources to conserve their own bandwidth (and kill ours!! :mad: ) but with the source destination being the same, they may not have been determined to be unique.

Part of it might also be from premium users with downloader programs. I know that many of those can establish multiple connections simultaneously, while DLing "home" to a single IP. (Thats a guess tho, as to it maybe being part of the cause).

That's strange indeed, I'm pretty sure not having downloaded myself almost twice my mod unique downloads :) actually I have downloaded it few times, one of them to recover lost files on my HD.

Still I noticed when the mod has more than one version, downloading the newer counts toward the total amount, what could explain many things.

Edited by nosisab