Survival Mode...ridiculous or just not fun?

Burnout122812

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized (from reading some of these comments) that I have, all the way up until now at lvl51, completely forgotten to add any points to my character's shooting perks aside from Ninja, which only works with sneak attacks anyway. This probably explains the spongeworthy enemies I've met of late. :)

Did a whole play-trough on survival mode.

Its crap with a capital C. Saving the game has nothing to do with any kind of difficulty. Beth games are notorious for their CTD's. so saving is a must. Not being able to save is not difficulty. its an annoyance. Granted, FO4 is quite stable, but still i get the occasional CTD...

I slept 24 hours and i am still tired ?.... seriously ?....

I drank 5 bottles of water and i am still thirsty ?... really ?....

Etc.. Until Modders come up with a survival mode that makes sense... i am no longer playing "Survival" or should i say; Annoy the crap out of players untill they commit suicide...

I'm starting to warm to survival, but the lack of saving is huge no-no. I get around this with a camping mod with a portable bedroll...still can't save unless you're out of combat but I'm fine with that. I also use a pack brahmin mod, helps to get loot back to settlements...especially since I generally don't use companions (because they suck for everything but being pack mules).

Camping Supplies
Personal Pack Brahmin

I also use a couple of my own mods, Special Randomizer and Perk-Free Workshop, that removes all bobblehead effects/randomizes your SPECIAL stats, and removes perk requirements for workshop items. The key here is that I never ever add any points to my SPECIAL stats. Whatever they randomize to is what I play with. I put points on perks, of course (if I can), but not on the stats themselves. I've rolled some incredibly nerfed and handicapped characters with it. As an example, I'm playing one character with the following SPECIAL stats:

S - 1
P - 2
E - 1
C - 3
I - 2
A - 9
L - 1

He's a pain, but at least he can sneak (note that he has less SPECIAL points overall than a level 1 vanilla character right out of the pod).

In general, I'd say that finding or making improved armor and weapons is critical (bear in mind I rarely use power armor), along with farming crops, hunting for meat, and building radiation cleaning arches and clinics in your settlements. The one thing that keeps weirdos like me coming back to Bethesda's TES and Fallout games is that no matter how goofy a character is, there's always a way (if you play smart enough).

Also, don't be ashamed to RUN AWAY from too-tough enemies if you must (leading them to someone else is always favorite). I've made practical use of super mutant suiciders many times.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you don't want to EVER sleep unless you have the 'tired' icon showing. You're much less likely to get insomnia and other such silly 'diseases' from just sleeping...and don't sleep more than eight hours unless you're fatigued (then you sleep ten hours).

Its crap with a capital C. Saving the game has nothing to do with any kind of difficulty. Beth games are notorious for their CTD's. so saving is a must. Not being able to save is not difficulty. its an annoyance. Granted, FO4 is quite stable, but still i get the occasional CTD...

I slept 24 hours and i am still tired ?.... seriously ?....

Etc.. Until Modders come up with a survival mode that makes sense... i am no longer playing "Survival" or should i say; Annoy the crap out of players untill they commit suicide...

Yesh, it just sounds like a real pain in the backside. I'm not even tempted to try it right now. In my opinion, mods like Arbitration make the game challenging in a far more logical and less annoying manner.

Edited by crawe1x

.. Until Modders come up with a survival mode that makes sense... i am no longer playing "Survival" or should i say; Annoy the crap out of players untill they commit suicide...

It's already have been done.

Survival Beta Menu Save Enable by sely1337

MikeTMs Survival Rebalance

Achievements by Expired6978

Survival Tweaks by PeterTheLemon

Yesh, it just sounds like a real pain in the backside. I'm not even tempted to try it right now. In my opinion, mods like Arbitration make the game challenging in a far more logical and less annoying manner.

Survival is pretty fun addition to Arbitration once you mod it.

Forgot to mention i play with 130 mods, including "War of the commonwealth" which spawns more then plenty to kill... or be killed by...;)

Had a save-mod installed by Gopher... it helped. I was just way to busy drinking, eating, and fighting of infections to be able to effectively kill enemies....

I like to play a game here... not ponder to Beth's insane needs to annoy the player.....

Trying to avoid installing more mods really.... but probably failing...;)

Survival is pretty fun addition to Arbitration once you mod it.

Forgot to mention i play with 130 mods, including "War of the commonwealth" which spawns more then plenty to kill... or be killed by... :wink:

Had a save-mod installed by Gopher... it helped. I was just way to busy drinking, eating, and fighting of infections to be able to effectively kill enemies....

I like to play a game here... not ponder to Beth's insane needs to annoy the player.....

Trying to avoid installing more mods really.... but probably failing... :wink:

Well there is always an option to merge some plugins. I'm getting close to 200 plugins, too many crafting/settlement mods, but the plugin list is there to be filled. Isn't it? :laugh:

(As long you don't make a mess out of it!)