Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

what I never understood is: are ads pay-per-click or pay-per-view? (also, are these the correct terms? >_>)

because if they are pay-per-view, I'll gladly disable adblock plus. the reason why I use it, other than because the ads are annoying, is that I never, ever click on them. evur!

since I never use them, if they are pay-per-click they have no reason at all to be there for me.

Edited by cridus

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #37619530.

AraFox wrote:

See? I think this thread is sexy. I'm just saying.

At any rate, I would encourage everyone who uses this site for mods, or for help, or just for their personal amusement to take a couple of bucks and at least show your support if you can't buy premium. Someone mentioned not downloading enough mods to make it worthwhile. I don't really think of it as paying for a service so much as tossing a little support behind a site I've come to really enjoy. It's not like it's some massive fee, after all. I've spent more than the supporter membership on games this week alone. Also on coffee, which sounds amazing right now.

Later.

Gotta say you forgot to mention the mod creators, while I haven't provided hundreds of mods I was the first and provided many mods based off another creator that to date has only had 2-3 people manage this...just saying I've provided but have neither the time or money to buy premium but my internet sux so I have to rely on mobile for responses and routinely have my browser crash or messages lost due to the ads re-directing me...personally I'm just glad they care enough to fix it Edited by mattell

In response to post #37620110.

cridus wrote: what I never understood is: are ads pay-per-click or pay-per-view? (also, are these the correct terms? >_>)
because if they are pay-per-view, I'll gladly disable adblock plus. the reason why I use it, other than because the ads are annoying, is that I never, ever click on them. evur!
since I never use them, if they are pay-per-click they have no reason at all to be there for me.

CPM = cost per mille (thousand) views
CPC = cost per click
CPA = cost per action (e.g. buying a product or signing up for a newsletter)

We use CPM exclusively. As a result, even if you NEVER click an ad or interact with them in any way, shape or form, simply the fact it was shown generates an ad view which is paid for.

In response to post #37619980.

Courier72 wrote: Full respect to Dark0ne for this post and the efforts to find a solution that works for users and this great site. My Adblock is now disabled for Nexusmods.

Please wait until Saturday when the new provider goes live!

Excellent post. Website advertising is the elephant in the room for so many sites, particularly newspaper websites. Unfortunately it is the only way to generate revenue unless people are willing and able to support a site, and even simple pay per view ads can really interfere in using a site.

I went premium because of the slowdown caused by the auto play ads and the awful experience on the mobile site, SO glad I did, and while the ads were a problem I'm glad it made me put my hand in my pocket and support the site, if ashamed that I didn't do so sooner. The Nexus is an excellent site that,with NMM, introduced me to modding over the past couple of years (console convert!) and has given new life to games that I had lost interest in.

The one thing I would add, as did smirgol, is that the ad reporting is not available on mobile. How much of that is down to using Apple I don't know, as their devices seem to be particularly susceptible to pages being hijacked. Perhaps that is the price I pay for being a sheep.

I hope you can root out the bad advertising, wish more sites were open about this issue and perhaps work together to stamp it out altogether.

EDIT: Typing this made me think that I really should support mod authors more. Sorry guys, I'm a chump.

Edited by cd150

To be honest I did not come along any "annoying" ads,but my personal problem with them is,

they slowed my browser down by like 70%,and THAT was the reason I had to turn the adblock on.

I do understand that people find ads annoying,and even dangerous due to maleware as stated in the post.

But making my browser fully freeze at some point is really annoying for me.

So I ask out of curiosity,anyone else expiriencing massive browser slow downs while displaying ads?

Great to see that the annoying ads are being killed off, fantastic work and respect for being so open.

However I'm getting pop-up ads while I'm on mobile which fill my whole screen, and they seem to lack a way of being reported.

In response to post #37620410.

snowglobecolector wrote: To be honest I did not come along any "annoying" ads,but my personal problem with them is,
they slowed my browser down by like 70%,and THAT was the reason I had to turn the adblock on.
I do understand that people find ads annoying,and even dangerous due to maleware as stated in the post.
But making my browser fully freeze at some point is really annoying for me.
So I ask out of curiosity,anyone else expiriencing massive browser slow downs while displaying ads?

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I had to turn mine on for the same reason.

I browse the Nexus like this:

1. Open up my tracked mods in one window.
2. Open up recent mods in another.
3. Go through the new ones and open them up in separate windows.

That's a lot of ads playing and eating up my resources.

I'm tempted to pay the $2 and just stop them altogether, but I get the feeling that it would be a drop in the bucket in terms of revenue compared to just leaving the blocker off.

I'm eager to see these new ads, which is something I never would've imagined myself saying before.

That's awesome to see. I hope to be able to turn off my adblock soon on this site. I want to allow you guys to gain ad revenue since I don't have the income to donate. I use this site a lot and it's only fair that you guys receive the compensation for the ads I see. Unfortunately under the old company there were so many loud or inappropriate ads that I felt it necessary to use adblock here.