The Game the Intro Promised

charwo

I like Fallout Tactics as well, I'm actually 3d modeling some robots from Fallout Tactics on my other monitor as I type this... I was just stating that people in general complained about it across the board. It is the only Fallout game I can remember that got more criticized than New Vegas did.

Anyways, I for one am glad that Bethesda is stepping further away from certain aspects of Fallout 1 and 2. I liked those games back in the early 2000s, but it is the year 2016 now and there are better ways to do stuff. The past was great, but that doesn't mean we need to keep recreating it over and over and over again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone pissed beth fallout are not like OBS fallouts?

Do you really want them to try to make the same? Do you really?

Or do you want something different, since you all know they just can't make the same anyways?

Or do you want something different, since you all know they just can't make the same anyways?

Dunno. Do you want good story, or csgo+sims? I want story. Do I want 2D top down Fallout? No, I got W2 for that. Do I want story as good as in F1/2? Yes.

Dunno. Do you want good story, or csgo+sims? I want story. Do I want 2D top down Fallout? No, I got W2 for that. Do I want story as good as in F1/2? Yes.

New Vegas didn't have a good story...

Because that so what I mean't by the if you want the same game or not question. 100% related.

You do realize that a game with fallout in the title can have a great and amazing story but have zero likeliness to fallout games, and be steampuck too, right?

And even good story doesn't mean good game, look at the last DA, trash.

New Vegas didn't have a good story...

He meant 1/2 to be fair.

Edited by Boombro

New Vegas didn't have a good story my ass.

Fallout 3's story is a complete rehash, but that's not the problem, I have no problem with East Coast Supermutants, a goodie good Brotherhood or the return of the Enclave. The problem was that the Enclave was stupid evil in Fallout 3, and there could have been a lot of nuiance if say, the Enclave came and said "The Jeffeson Memorial is government property, work for us or GTFO." It would have kind of a dick move, but still not the stupid "Let's shoot everyone on sight thing." The raiders could have been given character ans with better settlements, farms and such could have been much better justified in doing what they do. The Enclave could still be evil and ultimately needs to be defeated, but it would have given greater depth.

The problems with a first person shooter perspective is game designers think of things TO SHOOT. And a good RPG is about the people you meet, not just the companions. I remember loads of characters from New Vegas: Joshua Graham, Father Elijah, House, Caesar, Victor. Who do I remember from Fallout 3? From vanilla basically no one except Three Dog and the Overseer.. James came across as a total idiot, and while there was a lot of potential in Autumn, you don't interact enough with him to establish the antivillian he's supposed to be.

Vegas had an intelligent story of intrigue and playing sides, which Fallout 4 largely did but without the good characters and any check on your ability to manipulate the factions. Rebuilding is hard, and I and my Courier had to make tough calculations on who was best to lead the rebuilding of civilization . You don't even get that choice in Fallout 3.

But I don't give a rat's ass about exploring. I want good characters, a character driven plot, and gameplay decent enough to get me between the dialogue sessions. In that I'd say Mass Effect 2 was damn near perfect.

Now that said, do you think Bethesda could have given us the story the intro promised? I really don't think so.

I think it could be done....in a total overhaul where a new story happens in 2077 when your family DOESN'T get to the Vault.

NV's story > FO3's >> FO4's. Let's be honest, Bethesda have never been to great with story in their games, though. Obsidian have it down to a tee, although the gameplay isn't quite as tight in NV as FO3. It's not bad, just it's clear that Obsidian weren't as experienced with the engine, especially from all the leftover content in the .esm from development.

And back to the OP: you must never have been caught up in the hype for a Beth game before - misinformation and disappointment are part of the package. Todd is infamous for his salesmanship (watch the Oblivion E3 footage).

I find the eternal complaints about the latest video game not having a good story to be amusing. I've been playing Bethesda games for years in particular and I have never, without exception, encountered a deep, immersive story in any game I've ever played. When I want a deep, satisfying story I read a book.

Video games aren't really about story because they don't do stories well in principal. What they do do well is create fun sandbox worlds to explore and collect and craft and level up and mostly, kill thousands of opponents over and over again. That's actually what we DO in video games.

The story or quest line is nothing more than a clumsy mechanic to give the player an obligatory justification for a series of fetch/kill quests. Or, maybe to solve a puzzle or two. The reason I keep buying Bethesda products is because they are very good at world building and giving the player the freedom to create a decent variety of characters to run around and kill things in a variety of ways that allows for multiple playthoughs.

Complaints about bugs, CTDs and stability issues are serious issues, but complaints about story just strike me as being silly.

That isn't remotely true Caliban.

Awesome stories are what good games, specifically RPGs are all about. Final Fantasy VI and VII, Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect (until the star child, but it counts), Fallout 1&2, Tales from the Borderlands, Grand Theft Auto IV, and though I didn't like it, The Last of Us. These are good stories, and stories are the reason I play. If it weren't for the stories, I'd hang up my gaming hat and never look back. I've got better things to do than grind aimlessly, and I won't get that time back.

~

Ooooo - a can of worms has been opened (though, I'm not really disagreeing with you).

Yeah, we have to be honest with ourselves here - there's very few games which pull off amazing story. The main purpose is for them to be fun - that's FACT, and that's what also sells the game. My favourite games are the Zelda series, which are probably the best examples of games where gameplay is foremost, and the story fits neatly around it. I assume that's exactly the way Bethesda intend to do things too, which is why we get what we get. Of course story has to be passable, but by no means impressive.