Game vaporlock when in the Kikamore Lair

Mckrty

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8800 @ 2.66GHz

RAM

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (Driver: 275.33)

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8800 @ 2.66GHz

Penryn 45nm Technology

RAM

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Hard Drive

733GB Western Digital WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Witcher Enhanced Edition patched to 1.5

Damn shame I was starting to like this game and it played very smooth on this machine with high settings. As soon as the Kikamore lair sequence runs with all its vidi clips the game just locks up. I have managed to get as far as the 3rd entrance way (past the queen and the workers) but always have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to task Mgr and kill the process. I'm pretty sure I got all the patches. I'm surprised that I'm having issues like this so far into the game. Anyone experience this problem or have suggestions on a fix?

I think I had that problem a couple of times before I bought my new graphics card. That scene is VERY demanding on the card, there's a lot happening. I suggest you drop your graphics settings down to the bare minimum just to get past it, and possibly try working in windowed mode with a lower resolution. You can go back to your usual settings after its over.

Do as dragonbird suggested .

Might also try right running from the witcher exe and temporarily disable UAC to see if that might be interfering .

Also look in your witcher/system folder to see if there is an ERR/LOG txt . and attach to your next post if there is .

Do as dragonbird suggested .

Might also try right running from the witcher exe and temporarily disable UAC to see if that might be interfering .

Also look in your witcher/system folder to see if there is an ERR/LOG txt . and attach to your next post if there is .

Thanks Tommy5761,

and thanks to you too Dragonbird

I actually tried setting to "Low" in game settings and it seemed to get worse: I started from a previous save in the big battle with Salamandra and the game was locking up there (when it had not previously.) Now I think I've solved it : I changed the setting to "User" and set Anisotropic to 4x. Made it through the battle and all the way to the Kik lair so I think that's resolved the problem. Now if I can just make it through the lair (any tips mucho appreciated.) :P

P.S. UAC was never an issue as I was running as admin.

Interesting - I wouldn't have guessed on anisotropic.

The minimal spoiler advice I'd give is "run like hell" and Tawny Owl. If you're already getting to the third entrance, you've almost made it anyway.

I found the damn workers kept getting in the way and barring the way through the third set of mine supports @ Mckrty you need to hit those supports with Aard to bring the roof down on the Queen, if you are the wrong side you get crushed as well.

I would recommend running until you reach the third set of supports, it gives less time for the workers to build up. Maybe Aard the first supports, but there's no need to do both the first and the second.

When I did the Kikkimore queen, I would run from her just far enough so she would be under the support beams, but I would be in a safe spot where the beams would not fall on me, then I would use Aard (you need to be fast). As soon as the beams would fall on her, the regular kikkimores would scuttle away, then you need to move on to the next safe spot to take down the next support beams, dont skip any! The trick is not to move too far from the queen, otherwise the regular kikkimores will start to spawn like crazy, but you can't be too close or she will charge you or the support beams will fall down and crush you.

Once you have the distances and timing down pat (after a few practice runs), you will be able to have enough time to loot the corpse thats just past the first set of support beams before the queen frees herself. That corpse has a Moon Rune on it, which is important if you want to make a Rune Sword with 3 Moon Runes in the 4th Chapter. (3 moon rune silver sword is almost as good the Moonblade, which you wont be able to get until chapter 5)

After you take down the 3rd support beams you will be entering the large chamber, run like hell to the tunnel on the opposite side (dont go too far into that tunnel) turn around and cast Aard on the support beams, then scoot back into the tunnel. Do NOT go back into the chamber! There is often a delay before the whole chamber collapses after casting Aard, if you get too close you will get crushed.

Hope this helps!

Believe me killing the Kikkimore Queen will be worth it, Chapter 4 was my top favorite of all the chapters. Be sure to hit Save before you start to exit the tunnel, the cutscenes that follows is worthwhile to watch again.

Edited by LenSquig