iDTech engine coming to future Fallout and Elder Scrolls games

zanity

So, to boil that down to basics: Dishonored 2 is using VOID, therefore TES 6: We're Not in Skyrim Anymore will use VOID? Makes sense, after all, Dishonored 1 used Unreal and then so did Fallout 4. Or did that not happen? Someone remind me.

So, to boil that down to basics: Dishonored 2 is using VOID, therefore TES 6: We're Not in Skyrim Anymore will use VOID? Makes sense, after all, Dishonored 1 used Unreal and then so did Fallout 4. Or did that not happen? Someone remind me.

Fallout 4 uses the Creation Engine, which is based on the Gamebryo Engine, not any version of the Unreal Engine.

Btw, in case you forgot,

Zenimax acquired id in 2009 (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software)

Skyrim was released in 2011, it's safe to say that Fallout 4 was not in development before then. If Bethesda wanted Fallout 4 to be in the id Engine, it could have been in the id engine.

Unless the engine wasn't ready to be used for FO4 by the time development got underway or the team of developers responsible for FO4 weren't ready to use a brand new engine due to a lack of experience with it or training. Just because an engine works great for a game with shooter combat and lots of smaller maps linked together doesn't mean it doesn't need any modification to be used for a game with shooter combat and a wide open world that needs to load individual sections of a map to run well.

Edited by noahdvs

1. I was being sarcastic when I said FO4 ran on unreal.
2. It was six years between the purchase of id and the release of fallout 4. There were three and a half years between the purchase and the release of Dragonborn, Skyrim's last DLC. A month prior to the release of Skyrim, Zenimax released Rage which was open-world-ish. So... I'm sticking with they could have done it if they wanted. And if it was so difficult to make work, well that's just another reason why they wouldn't want to do it.

3. If not id, they could have used another engine if they wanted. They don't want to.

4. Do I need to point out that they've been using (basically) the same engine for 15 years?

Edited by RS13