The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

As Kalin walked back towards the inn, tying his damp hair in a ponytail and thinking of Rhaine, he heard voices nearby. Curious, he moved silently towards the source of the sounds. After a few minutes, he came across a suspicious sight.

There were eight men clustered around a dead campfire, eating and grumbling about random things. What have we here? Kalin asked himself. As Kalin watched, two more men came from the direction of the Chattering Scroll, one short and small, the other about average size. "Well, are they there?," demanded one of the campers, a large, bulky man almost twice Kalin's size, apparently the man in charge.

"They're there alright," replied Shorty (as Kalin dubbed him). "All three of 'em elves, Boss, including that freakish one with the wings." Kalin felt his temper rise at the insult to Rhaine, but he quelled it, wanting to know what this group wanted with her. "What about the fourth man?" Boss asked. "I didn't see him, but why does it matter? He must have been shot half-a-dozen times," Shorty replied, "he's dying right now, if he's not dead already." Kalin grinned at those words. Not quite, he thought. But Boss' next words turned his smirk into a dark scowl.

"You better hope you're right," the leader said venomously, causing the short man to turn pale. He turned and addressed the other men. "Alright, lads. You all know our contract. Our employers want those elves dead, and we're going to do it, unlike those stupid boys that underestimated them, right?" The mercs cheered. "And remember: kill the priestess first."

A burning fury raged in Kalin's heart at that last statement. He drew his sickles, set them aflame, and walked into the camp. "Not if I have anything to do with it," he challenged. The would-be assassins stood up in shock, surprised that anyone had snuck so close.

"Who the blazes are you?!" the merc leader demanded. "I'm the man 'who's dying right now, if not dead already'," Kalin said matter-of-factly. "I didn't like those words about my friends, so I'll make you a deal," he said menacingly. "Tell me who your 'employers' are, and all of you get to walk away." "And if we don't?" Boss questioned. "Then all of you will die," Kalin replied, a dark smile on his face.

Boss looked at him incredulously, then yelled. "At 'im, boys!" The mercenaries charged. "For Amaunator!" Kalin cried, then burst into action, charging his attackers at an inhuman speed.

He rolled past the first two men, slicing open their mid-sections, the attackers falling down screaming, and blocked the next two as they swung. Kalin riposted, slashing those mercs' throats, and spun, taking the men behind them, Shorty, his partner, and a third merc, by surprise. He took Shorty's arm clean off, the flames cauterizing the wound, and pierced the other man's heart between the ribs. He reversed his grip and swung at the third man's head, actually taking it off, and Man #8 came at him. Kalin parried, crouched, and cut the man's leg off at the knee, then finished him off with a slash to the heart. The ninth mercenary tried to kill him as he was on the ground, but the warrior somersaulted to the side, and sent a sickle into the assailant's ear, killing him instantly.

The leader looked at Kalin in anger and fear. Within a few dozen breathes, the soulknife had dispatched eight men. Boss looked at him, face ashen, and said, "WHAT IN SHEOGORATH'S NAME ARE YOU?!" But before Kalin could approach him, Boss activated a ring and teleported away.

"Blast it! He got away!," he cursed and slipped his weapons back onto his belt, flames dying away. Kalin looked around at the carnage around him, blood everywhere. "Sorry, Rhaine. Looks like I just made a lot of work for you," he chuckled darkly. Then he felt a burning sensation in his left lung. One of the killers managed to get a dagger past his defenses. He cursed again, then pulled it out and patched it up quickly. As he finished, he heard someone sobbing. Kalin looked around and saw Shorty, who was crying, and was clutching at where his forearm used to be.

Kalin went over and bandaged the wound, the short man falling unconscious as he did so. He muttered out of frustration, then lifted the merc, grunting under the weight, and started back to the inn. "Rhaine," he thought out loud as he walked, "I think we've got problems..."

Rhaine passed by Kalin's door, pausing at Ellundil and Reona's room. She heard soft snoring within and smiled. Definitely not early risers, she thought.

As she made her way downstairs, she noticed the inn was strangely empty. The barkeep, who looked more like an adventurer than an innkeeper, was asleep on a bedroll behind the bar. Deciding not to disturb him just yet, she picked out a table near the fireplace and sat down, staring into the flames. She fiddled with her amulet absentmindedly, and she fondly remembered its creator. It had been fashioned by her old companion, Grobnar Gnomehands - a brilliant (if a bit mad) gnomish bard. He had made it for her when she had lost her old bronze medallion to Neverwintan thieves.

Rhaine looked down and watched as her fingers moved the delicate parts of the pendant. The skeletal hand-and-forearm was made of ivory, and each small finger bone could be lifted and dropped again. It grasped a set of golden scales, which rocked back and forth on tiny hinges. The pendant itself was strung on a mithril chain, along with many duskwood prayer beads. It began to glow softly as she touched it, a strange and soothing warmth emanating from the holy symbol. It made her think of Kalin - she wondered if the elan would ever be able to establish contact with Amaunator.

As time crept on, she began to worry for him...his mention of dreams had been very strange, and his decision to take a midnight walk was even more disturbing. How far had he gone? And what was he up to? She prayed he had Kelemvor's knife with him, as it would surely protect him if the need arose.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Kalin walked back towards the inn, tying his damp hair in a ponytail and thinking of Rhaine, he heard voices nearby. Curious, he moved silently towards the source of the sounds. After a few minutes, he came across a suspicious sight.

There were eight men clustered around a dead campfire, eating and grumbling about random things. What have we here? Kalin asked himself. As Kalin watched, two more men came from the direction of the Chattering Scroll, one short and small, the other about average size. "Well, are they there?," demanded one of the campers, a large, bulky man almost twice Kalin's size, apparently the man in charge.

"They're there alright," replied Shorty (as Kalin dubbed him). "All three of 'em elves, Boss, including that freakish one with the wings." Kalin felt his temper rise at the insult to Rhaine, but he quelled it, wanting to know what this group wanted with her. "What about the fourth man?" Boss asked. "I didn't see him, but why does it matter? He must have been shot half-a-dozen times," Shorty replied, "he's dying right now, if he's not dead already." Kalin grinned at those words. Not quite, he thought. But Boss' next words turned his smirk into a dark scowl.

"You better hope you're right," the leader said venomously, causing the short man to turn pale. He turned and addressed the other men. "Alright, lads. You all know our contract. Our employers want those elves dead, and we're going to do it, unlike those stupid boys that underestimated them, right?" The mercs cheered. "And remember: kill the priestess first."

A burning fury raged in Kalin's heart at that last statement. He drew his sickles, set them aflame, and walked into the camp. "Not if I have anything to do with it," he challenged. The would-be assassins stood up in shock, surprised that anyone had snuck so close.

"Who the blazes are you?!" the merc leader demanded. "I'm the man 'who's dying right now, if not dead already'," Kalin said matter-of-factly. "I didn't like those words about my friends, so I'll make you a deal," he said menacingly. "Tell me who your 'employers' are, and all of you get to walk away." "And if we don't?" Boss questioned. "Then all of you will die," Kalin replied, a dark smile on his face.

Boss looked at him incredulously, then yelled. "At 'im, boys!" The mercenaries charged. "For Amaunator!" Kalin cried, then burst into action, charging his attackers at an inhuman speed.

He rolled past the first two men, slicing open their mid-sections, the attackers falling down screaming, and blocked the next two as they swung. Kalin riposted, slashing those mercs' throats, and spun, taking the men behind them, Shorty, his partner, and a third merc, by surprise. He took Shorty's arm clean off, the flames cauterizing the wound, and pierced the other man's heart between the ribs. He reversed his grip and swung at the third man's head, actually taking it off, and Man #8 came at him. Kalin parried, crouched, and cut the man's leg off at the knee, then finished him off with a slash to the heart. The ninth mercenary tried to kill him as he was on the ground, but the warrior somersaulted to the side, and sent a sickle into the assailant's ear, killing him instantly.

The leader looked at Kalin in anger and fear. Within a few dozen breathes, the soulknife had dispatched eight men. Boss looked at him, face ashen, and said, "WHAT IN SHEOGORATH'S NAME ARE YOU?!" But before Kalin could approach him, Boss activated a ring and teleported away.

"Blast it! He got away!," he cursed and slipped his weapons back onto his belt, flames dying away. Kalin looked around at the carnage around him, blood everywhere. "Sorry, Rhaine. Looks like I just made a lot of work for you," he chuckled darkly. Then he felt a burning sensation in his left lung. One of the killers managed to get a dagger past his defenses. He cursed again, then pulled it out and patched it up quickly. As he finished, he heard someone sobbing. Kalin looked around and saw Shorty, who was crying, and was clutching at where his forearm used to be.

Kalin went over and bandaged the wound, the short man falling unconscious as he did so. He muttered out of frustration, then lifted the merc, grunting under the weight, and started back to the inn. "Rhaine," he thought out loud as he walked, "I think we've got problems..."

Rhaine passed by Kalin's door, pausing at Ellundil and Reona's room. She heard soft snoring within and smiled. Definitely not early risers, she thought.

As she made her way downstairs, she noticed the inn was strangely empty. The barkeep, who looked more like an adventurer than an innkeeper, was asleep on a bedroll behind the bar. Deciding not to disturb him just yet, she picked out a table near the fireplace and sat down, staring into the flames. She fiddled with her amulet absentmindedly, and she fondly remembered its creator. It had been fashioned by her old companion, Grobnar Gnomehands - a brilliant (if a bit mad) gnomish bard. He had made it for her when she had lost her old bronze medallion to Neverwintan thieves.

Rhaine looked down and watched as her fingers moved the delicate parts of the pendant. The skeletal hand-and-forearm was made of ivory, and each small finger bone could be lifted and dropped again. It grasped a set of golden scales, which rocked back and forth on tiny hinges. The pendant itself was strung on a mithril chain, along with many duskwood prayer beads. It began to glow softly as she touched it, a strange and soothing warmth emanating from the holy symbol. It made her think of Kalin - she wondered if the elan would ever be able to establish contact with Amaunator.

As time crept on, she began to worry for him...his mention of dreams had been very strange, and his decision to take a midnight walk was even more disturbing. How far had he gone? And what was he up to? She prayed he had Kelemvor's knife with him, as it would surely protect him if the need arose.

Kalin gave a sigh of relief when the Chattering Scroll came into view. "About time," he muttered, straining under the weight of the short, unconscious man he had across his shoulders. He walked to the inn and saw Rhaine by the fire as he entered. As she looked up at him, he spoke before she could. "Just a moment, darlin'," Kalin said. "I need to get Stumpy here to a bed. He needs a hand, so to speak."

Without waiting for a response, the psychic carried Shorty to his room and laid the injured man on the bed. Kalin checked the bandages on the merc's arm, and, satisfied that the man was okay and wouldn't be waking any time soon, then walked back downstairs and sat across from Rhaine.

"Sorry I'm late. I hope I didn't worry you," he said as he sat down. He saw Rhaine looking at the blood on his clothes, face filled with concern. "Don't worry, I'm alright. Most of it isn't mine. I ran into a group of mercenaries," Kalin explained, "and they tried to kill me. Needless to say, they failed." He winced as he took a breathe, the hidden wound in his side burning. I hope she didn't notice that. He smiled weakly, trying to reassure her and not worry the lady. And such a beautiful one, too, he thought, which caused him to turn red.

Trying to regain his composure, Kalin coughed and said, "Anyway, I guess I should tell you what happened, but I'd like to wait for the others first and let everyone know at the same time, if you don't object, that is."

He leaned forward in his chair, looking into Rhaine's eyes. "In the meantime, though, I'd like to spend some time with you. I'd like to have something positive in my morning, after all," he said, a boyish grin on his face...

Edited by GrueMaster

Kalin gave a sigh of relief when the Chattering Scroll came into view. "About time," he muttered, straining under the weight of the short, unconscious man he had across his shoulders. He walked to the inn and saw Rhaine by the fire as he entered. As she looked up at him, he spoke before she could. "Just a moment, darlin'," Kalin said. "I need to get Stumpy here to a bed. He needs a hand, so to speak."

Without waiting for a response, the psychic carried Shorty to his room and laid the injured man on the bed. Kalin checked the bandages on the merc's arm, and, satisfied that the man was okay and wouldn't be waking any time soon, then walked back downstairs and sat across from Rhaine.

"Sorry I'm late. I hope I didn't worry you," he said as he sat down. He saw Rhaine looking at the blood on his clothes, face filled with concern. "Don't worry, I'm alright. Most of it isn't mine. I ran into a group of mercenaries," Kalin explained, "and they tried to kill me. Needless to say, they failed." He winced as he took a breathe, the hidden wound in his side burning. I hope she didn't notice that. He smiled weakly, trying to reassure her and not worry the lady. And such a beautiful one, too, he thought, which caused him to turn red.

Trying to regain his composure, Kalin coughed and said, "Anyway, I guess I should tell you what happened, but I'd like to wait for the others first and let everyone know at the same time, if you don't object, that is."

He leaned forward in his chair, looking into Rhaine's eyes. "In the meantime, though, I'd like to spend some time with you. I'd like to have something positive in my morning, after all," he said, a boyish grin on his face...

Rhaine saw the copious amounts of blood on Kalin's clothes and heard the elan's words. She also noticed his grimace of pain, which he tried to cover up. Her eyes narrowed, sparkling fiercely, and her mouth became a thin line.

"Enough," she said shortly, laying her hands on Kalin's shoulders and meeting his eyes, "enough of this nonsense...first flattery and now a lie?"

She commanded her power to heal the elan's wounds, a blue light engulfing him for a moment. Once she was satisfied he was healed, Rhaine jerked him up by the hand, dragging him out of the inn. She then pushed him in front of her, "You left a massacre out there, I know you did. Well then, you made the mess, you clean it up. I'll perform Last Rites, but you will bury the bodies. I realize you were attacked, but I really don't need you creating more work for me, Kalin...which is what your little midnight stroll accomplished.

"You will explain to me what happened along the way, and when we get back to the inn we're going to have a chat with your captive. And you're going to tell me about this dream that elans aren't supposed to have. The last thing I need is one of my companions psychologically exhausted by visions."

Rhaine felt not unlike a parent scolding a child. Her tone was, perhaps, a little more angry than she actually was. Nonetheless, she was still miffed at the whole incident. She waited for Kalin to take the lead, her hands on her hips.

Rhaine saw the copious amounts of blood on Kalin's clothes and heard the elan's words. She also noticed his grimace of pain, which he tried to cover up. Her eyes narrowed, sparkling fiercely, and her mouth became a thin line.

"Enough," she said shortly, laying her hands on Kalin's shoulders and meeting his eyes, "enough of this nonsense...first flattery and now a lie?"

She commanded her power to heal the elan's wounds, a blue light engulfing him for a moment. Once she was satisfied he was healed, Rhaine jerked him up by the hand, dragging him out of the inn. She then pushed him in front of her, "You left a massacre out there, I know you did. Well then, you made the mess, you clean it up. I'll perform Last Rites, but you will bury the bodies. I realize you were attacked, but I really don't need you creating more work for me, Kalin...which is what your little midnight stroll accomplished.

"You will explain to me what happened along the way, and when we get back to the inn we're going to have a chat with your captive. And you're going to tell me about this dream that elans aren't supposed to have. The last thing I need is one of my companions psychologically exhausted by visions."

Rhaine felt not unlike a parent scolding a child. Her tone was, perhaps, a little more angry than she actually was. Nonetheless, she was still miffed at the whole incident. She waited for Kalin to take the lead, her hands on her hips.

Kalin slumped his shoulders, seeming get to smaller and older, more haggard, under her beratement. I was afraid of this. "I apologize, Rhaine. One of the mercs managed to slip a knife past my defenses and I wanted you save your strength, but that's no excuse for lying." He gave helpless laugh and added sheepishly, "As for the flattery, I was just trying to get you to smile. I guess I failed, though. Sorry."

He started walking to the camp of dead mercs, describing what had happened there, the mercs being hired by someone to kill them, particularly Rhaine, and him getting angry at his friends being threatened. "My anger got the best of me, I must admit, and I engaged them after that. Their boss managed to teleport before I could get him, however," he said. Kalin raised a hand at Rhaine, preventing her from speaking. "I know that I should've been more careful, but I couldn't allow them to get to the inn. If it were just us, I would've ignored them," he said hotly, "but I couldn't let them kill everyone. I've enough blood on my hands as it is."

He paused for a moment, then continued, struggling to control his emotions. "I didn't mean to create more work for you. I wasn't expecting that encounter. I would have buried the bodies, but I felt that I should've gotten that man I wounded back to the inn first before having a lengthy funeral."

Kalin walked on in silence, angry at himself. That quiet little voice seemed to taunt him. Told you so.

His heart felt like it was in agony. You knew she'd be mad, but you went ahead and acted recklessly. First you bother her with your emotions, then you wake her up in the middle of the night, now you lie to her and leave a trail of bodies to clean up. She'll probably hate you after this. Oh, will you just SHUT UP! Kalin screamed mentally, not needing the distraction. We've other problems.

As they approached the slaughter he left behind, he spoke to Rhaine. "Rhaine, how do you know so much about elans? We're supposed be a secret race. Technically, no one should know that we even exist, let alone that we don't dream. The elders would have a field day if they ever find out about this." The warrior looked at her, violet eyes questioning. He was surprised that she knew about that. He didn't want to talk about the nightmare, however. Some things are best left hidden, he thought.

Before they could say anything more, they arrived at the scene of battle. She was right. It was a massacre. Kalin felt ashamed as he gazed upon the carnage, but he didn't say a word.

"Well," he muttered after a moment of silence, "I should get to work." He slipped off his weapons and started digging the graves...

Edited by GrueMaster

Rhaine watched as Kalin began digging the graves. He worked with astonishing speed, and she wondered if that was more the result of emotion, rather than sheer strength. As he did so, she answered his question, "It is really quite simple, Kalin. I know about elans because I studied them during my training. Almost all clerics - of any deity - have extensive knowledge of the creatures of the Outer Planes, including Tanar'ri, Baatezu, and various aberrations...among these, elans. I've had personal experience with many psionic creatures like githyanki, githzerai, and illithids, of which elans are related. I can sense many similarities between you and these entities. I know that dreaming is virtually non-existent in psionic races because the power of the mind keeps imagination at bay. That is why your nightmare concerns me."

Within an hour, he was finished digging. She approached and laid a hand on his shoulder, "You don't need to make a special effort to make me smile, Kalin." Before he could reply, she motioned for him to help her place the bodies in the graves. Then, she removed a pouch of wyrmsage from her belt and began sprinkling the herbal powder over the corpses. It brought back memories of a similar time, when she had been accused by her enemies of massacring an entire village - just so they could have her executed in a legal manner. It had been up to her to take care of the bodies, and her foes had then accused her of hiding the evidence...but the court would not hear of it and called it an attack on her faith.

After she was finished, she sighed, "I do not know the customs of these people concerning funeral practices, nor of the gods they worship, so a general Rite will have to do. The best I can offer them is protection from undeath."

Rhaine then held her hands out over the graves, murmuring the traditional words of the Passing. Each corpse glowed softly with white light as she did so, the light fading as the Rite was completed. She then nodded to Kalin, who began filling in the graves.

She pondered out loud as he worked, "I did not know I had made any enemies in my short time here. Although, I did think it strange that we were attacked by bandits twice on the same road yesterday. Perhaps these thugs are the same ones Kelemvor mentioned? I recall him saying that Myrmaad had been abducted to a nearby cave system. Maybe these are those self-same bandits? They certainly are able to organize quickly - they must have active scouts nearby. In any case, I think an interrogation from your prisoner should clear up a few things."

When he finally finished, they began slowly walking back towards the inn. Rhaine thought for a moment, then remarked, "You know, I learned the art of dreamwalking while I was in Rashemen. If you ever want me to be at your side in these dreams, just let me know before we retire for the night, and I will make a concerted effort to help you. The offer will always be open."

Rhaine watched as Kalin began digging the graves. He worked with astonishing speed, and she wondered if that was more the result of emotion, rather than sheer strength. As he did so, she answered his question, "It is really quite simple, Kalin. I know about elans because I studied them during my training. Almost all clerics - of any deity - have extensive knowledge of the creatures of the Outer Planes, including Tanar'ri, Baatezu, and various aberrations...among these, elans. I've had personal experience with many psionic creatures like githyanki, githzerai, and illithids, of which elans are related. I can sense many similarities between you and these entities. I know that dreaming is virtually non-existent in psionic races because the power of the mind keeps imagination at bay. That is why your nightmare concerns me."

Within an hour, he was finished digging. She approached and laid a hand on his shoulder, "You don't need to make a special effort to make me smile, Kalin." Before he could reply, she motioned for him to help her place the bodies in the graves. Then, she removed a pouch of wyrmsage from her belt and began sprinkling the herbal powder over the corpses. It brought back memories of a similar time, when she had been accused by her enemies of massacring an entire village - just so they could have her executed in a legal manner. It had been up to her to take care of the bodies, and her foes had then accused her of hiding the evidence...but the court would not hear of it and called it an attack on her faith.

After she was finished, she sighed, "I do not know the customs of these people concerning funeral practices, nor of the gods they worship, so a general Rite will have to do. The best I can offer them is protection from undeath."

Rhaine then held her hands out over the graves, murmuring the traditional words of the Passing. Each corpse glowed softly with white light as she did so, the light fading as the Rite was completed. She then nodded to Kalin, who began filling in the graves.

She pondered out loud as he worked, "I did not know I had made any enemies in my short time here. Although, I did think it strange that we were attacked by bandits twice on the same road yesterday. Perhaps these thugs are the same ones Kelemvor mentioned? I recall him saying that Myrmaad had been abducted to a nearby cave system. Maybe these are those self-same bandits? They certainly are able to organize quickly - they must have active scouts nearby. In any case, I think an interrogation from your prisoner should clear up a few things."

When he finally finished, they began slowly walking back towards the inn. Rhaine thought for a moment, then remarked, "You know, I learned the art of dreamwalking while I was in Rashemen. If you ever want me to be at your side in these dreams, just let me know before we retire for the night, and I will make a concerted effort to help you. The offer will always be open."

Kalin gave a sad smile. "Thank you for the offer, Rhaine. I appreciate it. You should know something about my nightmare first, though. You see, I've had one almost every week since I was changed into an elan, and it's always the same dream, too." Except for last night, he thought, but he left this information out, not wanting her to know that she was in it. "In the last few years, though, it hasn't bothered me very often."

"It is a puzzle among my kind, and has become a question of much debate. Some theorized that the demon that kill-, ahem, wounded me had cursed me as well." Kalin was twisting his family ring absent-mindedly, staring off to a far place as the duo walked. "I visited Spirit Soaring once during my travels, an amazing place if you've never saw it, and I met the cleric Cadderly. We quickly became friends, and during my stay, I told him about my recurring nightmare and asked him if he could see if I was indeed cursed."

"He agreed, and did check for any curses, but, much to our consternation, he found none." Kalin chuckled. "Imagine, a Chosen of Deneir being unable to find anything."

He coughed. "Anyway, I thanked him and I continued on my travels the next day."

He sighed, and continued. "Last night was the first time that I have had that dream in three weeks. If it happens again, I'll let you know, Rhaine, but I prefer to fight my own demons, if I can."

They came near the stream where he had bathed earlier. Kalin stopped and asked, "Rhaine, would you mind if we wait here for a bit? I'd like to wash my clothes, if it's not a bother. I think it's absolutely abominable to be in such a state while in the presence of a lady." When she consented, he muttered a word of power, and his mithral armor came into view. Looking at the surprise on Rhaine's face, he laughed out loud. "Didn't think I was armored, did you? It always fools people into thinking that I'm an easy target. Although," the elan grumbled, "that dagger managed to hit me where those arrows did yesterday. Seems I forgot to fix it this time."

Kalin started to take off his shirt, then paused when his hands touched the scars on his chest, uncomfortable in revealing them. "Rhaine, could you look away for a moment? Thank you." He pulled off his shirt as she turned away, kicked off his shoes, and jumped in the water. Kalin gave a yelp, shocked that the water was still freezing. "Gods, that's still cold!" He shook his head and started washing his clothes, back turned to the priestess.

"You know," he said, a hint of mischief in his voice, "you could join me if you wanted to." He turned his head and looked at her, trying to hide a smile. "Might as well enjoy the water while we're here, after all..."

"You were fortunate to know Cadderly Bonaduce while he was on the Prime," Rhaine remarked, "the poor soul...his god is missing, and he now forever walks between the earth and the Shadowfell as a ghostly guardian against the dracolich Hephaestus.

"And yes, I have been to the Spirit Soaring. It was an indescribably beautiful place once...but no longer. With the absence of Deneir and Cadderly, the cathedral is now a crumbling and haunted ruin."

She remained silent for a few moments, thinking about Kalin's words. Then, a mischievous thought crossed her mind.

You could join me if you wanted to....

Keeping her incantation completely silent, she transformed herself into the animal avatar of her patron - a great black panther. Kalin was completely oblivious. She chuckled to herself as she bunched her muscles and leapt with a roar, sailing over Kalin's head from behind and landing in the deep stream with a resounding splash.

"You were fortunate to know Cadderly Bonaduce while he was on the Prime," Rhaine remarked, "the poor soul...his god is missing, and he now forever walks between the earth and the Shadowfell as a ghostly guardian against the dracolich Hephaestus.

"And yes, I have been to the Spirit Soaring. It was an indescribably beautiful place once...but no longer. With the absence of Deneir and Cadderly, the cathedral is now a crumbling and haunted ruin."

She remained silent for a few moments, thinking about Kalin's words. Then, a mischievous thought crossed her mind.

You could join me if you wanted to....

Keeping her incantation completely silent, she transformed herself into the animal avatar of her patron - a great black panther. Kalin was completely oblivious. She chuckled to herself as she bunched her muscles and leapt with a roar, sailing over Kalin's head from behind and landing in the deep stream with a resounding splash.

"AIIIiiiii!," Kalin screamed, surprised by the sudden appearance of the panther and the following splash of water. He gasped, trying to get the water out of his nose, and looked around for Rhaine. "Where are you, blast it!" He thought he heard...laughter? It sounded like it was coming from the big cat. Realization lit up his face. He looked at the panther, violet eyes narrowed. "Very clever, Rhaine," he said, mock anger in his voice, "but you better be careful. You'll never know when I get you BACK!"

Kalin shouted and pounced on her, sending waves of water flying everywhere, laughing, a cheerful, bright sound that he hadn't heard for a while. After what seemed like a hour of playing, tired and tears running down eyes, he left the stream and sat down. "Thank you very much, priestess," the elan said jokingly, "now my clothes will take forever to get dry." He petted the graceful black panther. "You look like the animal companion of Drizz't Do'Urden, Guen'hwyvar. Although," amusement tinting his voice, "I doubt she's as pretty as you are."

After sitting for few more minutes, Kalin got up and picked up his clothes. He set his hand aflame and started drying his clothes that way. When they were properly toasted, he started getting dressed. Meawhile, Rhaine had reverted back to her normal form, and was looking at the large, angry-white scars scoring his chest. "Ah, don't worry about those. I like to call it a momento of good times," he said sarcasticly, a sour expression flashing across his face for a moment, then disappearing. "Nevermind. Anyway, we should be getting back now." The soulknife was smiling. He stood up straight and held out his elbow. "May I have the honor of escorting you?," Kalin asked in a haughty tone, trying not to laugh...

Edited by GrueMaster

Rhaine laughed and took Kalin's elbow, grinning from ear to ear, "Of course you may, dear Kalin."

The elan's mannerisms and defensive nature regarding her feelings and well-being reminded her of another friend from long ago - the paladin of Tyr, Casavir. Casavir had always been a bulwark against the toughest of foes and the greatest of hardships...and over time he had become quite smitten with the then-young Doomguide. Unfortunately, Rhaine had not felt the same about the stalwart paladin, and she ended up refusing his affections on the night before the Battle of Crossroad Keep. Rhaine had always wondered if that had broken his spirit, as the noble warrior had perished within the week...buried alive under the ruins of Merdelain.

She shook the memories away, blinking back tears that she hoped Kalin didn't notice. He would never be able to know the guilt that weighed upon her for so many deaths that she believed she could have prevented. Rhaine sighed as the Inn of the Chattering Scroll came into view, as much out of a heavy heart as relief. But now was not the time to dwell upon the past. "Alright then," she said, her voice tinged with new resolve, "let us see what our guest has to offer us."

Rhaine laughed and took Kalin's elbow, grinning from ear to ear, "Of course you may, dear Kalin."

The elan's mannerisms and defensive nature regarding her feelings and well-being reminded her of another friend from long ago - the paladin of Tyr, Casavir. Casavir had always been a bulwark against the toughest of foes and the greatest of hardships...and over time he had become quite smitten with the then-young Doomguide. Unfortunately, Rhaine had not felt the same about the stalwart paladin, and she ended up refusing his affections on the night before the Battle of Crossroad Keep. Rhaine had always wondered if that had broken his spirit, as the noble warrior had perished within the week...buried alive under the ruins of Merdelain.

She shook the memories away, blinking back tears that she hoped Kalin didn't notice. He would never be able to know the guilt that weighed upon her for so many deaths that she believed she could have prevented. Rhaine sighed as the Inn of the Chattering Scroll came into view, as much out of a heavy heart as relief. But now was not the time to dwell upon the past. "Alright then," she said, her voice tinged with new resolve, "let us see what our guest has to offer us."

Kalin saw the tears Rhaine tried to hide. Probably remembering an old friend. He gave her arm a reassuring squeeze, familiar with the sensation, and kept respectfully quiet. When they came to his room, he stopped and motioned for her to go first. "It might be better to let you talk to him first. He'll probably faint if he sees me." He laughed. "I tend to have that effect on those who've seen me fight." He unlocked the door and opened it for her. Seeing that Stumpy was awake, he spoke loud enough for the man to hear, in a cold, intimidating voice, "He's all yours. If he gives you any problems, call for me, alright?" Kalin winked at Rhaine, then stepped away and stood by the door, waiting to be called upon...

Edited by GrueMaster