Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

Unfortunately, ALL DRM being used right now require some sort of online verification. That's the breaks. It's not the best system out there, but it's not the worse, and you're right, players don't have much say in the matter. They will still likely buy the game, and activate it through steam though. The customers they make or keep using a system like steam outweigh the number of people people who likely won't buy the game just because of steam. It's business, and to a certain degree, it's one of the reasons why PC gaming will remain even slightly viable as more and more companies move towards console ports. The sad truth is that this is where things are headed. You can either fight it futily, adjust your situation to where it is no longer a problem, or instead spend money on indie games and others which have limited or no DRM. But um... If you look around, nearly every game that is out there tries to connect for patches and other stuffs.. Even indie games.

As for the whole "We can't block updates on steam" argument... Hate to tell you... But it's working, and you can. Right click game in library > properties > updates > "Do not automatically update this game". Tried it for TF2 (since it updates almost daily) and sure enough, no updates were installed until I set it to update again.

What game companies fail to understand is that even consoles can be used for piracy too.

DRM is a bad idea almost always. Someone will ALWAYS crack your game and pirates will download it.

Notch wrote something on piracy. Don't focus on DRM, focus on online services that will make pirates want to buy the game.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the whole "We can't block updates on steam" argument... Hate to tell you... But it's working, and you can. Right click game in library > properties > updates > "Do not automatically update this game". Tried it for TF2 (since it updates almost daily) and sure enough, no updates were installed until I set it to update again.

Well aren't you lucky? I know the THEORY of setting Steam to not auto update (I am not entirely stupid, believe it or not), and I did all of that, and it did not work for me. I still got updated. And yes, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Steam. Especially since I had a new rig built, and HAD to reinstall it, and thought "Well let's give it the benefit of the doubt and say maybe, just maybe, it could have been something buggy about my creaking old system..."

Errr...no. Still misbehaves on the new rig. And I seem to remember that I am not the only person who has had the same issue with being unable to switch off auto updates.

Ship your game at retail and online. With Steamworks, you decide where and how it will be sold.

And? It's their game, I'd assume it's their choice how and where they want to sell it. They're entitled to choosing their method of distribution. If you don't like their choice, don't buy the game. You're not entitled to getting the game the way you want it. If you're not happy, tough luck and vote with your wallet.

If you don't like it don't buy it. :hurr:

Your completely missing the point. Steamworks games CAN NOT be resold. Period. It's not that i want to resell it or buy it second hand it's the principal.

Being forced to activate online EACH time I install, possibly limited installs and no ability to resell is certainly something for me to be unhappy about. Is it going to stop me from buying Skyrim? No. Am I going to voice my displeasure and correct people when they try to say that Steamworks is something other than this? Yes.

Just because a game is offered via Steam does NOT automatically mean it will require it. Many games have simply been offered via Steam before but don't use Steamworks, including a game recently published by Bethesda called "Hunted: The Demon's Forge".

I don't mind Steam, so I buy my games there. Don't like Steam? Don't buy the games. Want the game, but it's steam only? Then don't buy it, it's THAT simple. If people actually started boycotting Steam instead of giving in and buying the games, things would probably change. This is never going anywhere unless people take action. Now, wake up and do something about it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

I don't mind Steam, so I buy my games there. Don't like Steam? Don't buy the games. Want the game, but it's steam only? Then don't buy it, it's THAT simple. If people actually started boycotting Steam instead of giving in and buying the games, things would probably change. This is never going anywhere unless people take action. Now, wake up and do something about it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

Been doing my best at that.

I am pretty sure it is going to be Steam only. Main reason I said that is because Gstaff said they are not using G4WL anymore and Steam is the only other option mainly because Todd Howard likes Steam, a lot.

Edit: There is tons of proof that Todd Howard likes Steam all over the internet. He even told PSM that he liked it and wishes the "automatic update" Would be on PS3 or something I forget but it is in the last page of the Skyrim PSM just letting everyone know.