Love

kvnchrist

I guess the reason we refuse to believe that the cause for love could be found - and controlled by science... Is that once they found something... they would be able to turn it off - or on at will. Sorry, I'm a fan of Dystopic books lol.

I just don't think mankind is trustworthy enough to be given the key to love... not that I think there is one... but that's not a topic I can talk about here. ;)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the reason we refuse to believe that the cause for love could be found - and controlled by science... Is that once they found something... they would be able to turn it off - or on at will. Sorry, I'm a fan of Dystopic books lol.

I just don't think mankind is trustworthy enough to be given the key to love... not that I think there is one... but that's not a topic I can talk about here. ;)

Precisely. Could you imagine what the CIA would do with that power.

The CIA already has that "power."

I am sure it wouldn't be too hard for someone to go deep undercover with such training and trick someone into loving them for intelligence purposes.

I hear they got the technology from eHarmony. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

Love is a biological emotion and nothing more.

There is no proof that love is anything else.

Ouch. That's cold. :unsure:

At first, well, I don't even know why someone could start a thread like this in the Debates section. What is it to debate about love? The first post doesn't seem to invoke a debate at all. It's Marharth's first post. I'm not saying that it's bad to debate it, just, well, something. I didn't read the previous >100 posts, but I'm sure that love is bigger than just a biological emotion.

I don't think science could explain much about love, there is no pattern or anything. I don't think there's even a thing to explain, the concept couldn't be simpler.

Like on almost every debate that I participated, I'll ask this question. So, Marharth, what if you're absolutely right about everything? What? Should we now change our perception on love, and start treating it more "scientifically?"

Like on almost every debate that I participated, I'll ask this question. So, Marharth, what if you're absolutely right about everything? What? Should we now change our perception on love, and start treating it more "scientifically?"

Why would we treat it more scientifically?

Knowing the cause does not mean the effect will be changed.

Look back at the posts from LadyMilla and diecaster, it covers a lot more of the science of it.

Marharth, I've noticed more than one instance where in defending your position you have suggested that we go back and look at someone else's post. We are all naturally capable of reading others' posts. But if a question is directed to you, it would seem that the questioner is asking for your specific opinion or reference. Just a thought....

Marharth, I've noticed more than one instance where in defending your position you have suggested that we go back and look at someone else's post. We are all naturally capable of reading others' posts. But if a question is directed to you, it would seem that the questioner is asking for your specific opinion or reference. Just a thought....

I already answered the question directed at me. I suggested that he would go back to look at the other posts just so he would know the science behind it.

I think to the question posed by Ancient Aeon, your answer is simply no.

No one needs to look at love any more scientifically. Or anything for that matter. However anyone adverse to the idea of someone wanting to pursue and forward knowledge and understanding of something of such relevance to our lives as emotion is, should imo be more open minded about it. Understanding something in a scientific manner cannot cheapen the profound effect of it on our lives. :) Thinking such might be some sort of irrational fear.

It's like the creation of the universe, knowing how it came about within a good deal of certainty only enhances my awe and appreciation for it.

All I know is that love is the most awesome feeling ever and that's really all I need to know, why do people insist on ruining things by getting all scientific and stuff 8)

So lets by our own volition, choose ignorance over the pursuit of knowledge.

Love is an intangible proving it is like proving faith, what coherent argument would suit your Grace?

Faith is a certainty, it exists without reasonable doubt, I would say it is proven by the fact people believe in things that are completely unsubstantiated by reason.

I think to the question posed by Ancient Aeon, your answer is simply no.

No one needs to look at love any more scientifically. Or anything for that matter. However anyone adverse to the idea of someone wanting to pursue and forward knowledge and understanding of something of such relevance to our lives as emotion is, should imo be more open minded about it. Understanding something in a scientific manner cannot cheapen the profound effect of it on our lives. :) Thinking such might be some sort of irrational fear.

It's like the creation of the universe, knowing how it came about within a good deal of certainty only enhances my awe and appreciation for it.

All I know is that love is the most awesome feeling ever and that's really all I need to know, why do people insist on ruining things by getting all scientific and stuff 8)

So lets by our own volition, choose ignorance over the pursuit of knowledge.

Love is an intangible proving it is like proving faith, what coherent argument would suit your Grace?

Faith is a certainty, it exists without reasonable doubt, I would say it is proven by the fact people believe in things that are completely unsubstantiated by reason.

I think you need to calm down.. Your words seem cynical, so what if he is choosing ignorance. Many of us are. Don't take this the wrong way but you sound really high n mighty.

Im going to get flamed for this but I think some things don't have a scientific basis that we can understand, there probably is a logical explanation for it but we won't be able to see it. Love could be one of those things. Does an animal mate out of love? In most species I would think no, and animal is so crazy about sex for procreation. I believe our understanding and concept of love comes from our conscious awareness of ourselves and the ones around us. We as Humans live in groups so we want for our own sanity to be excepted by at least one other individual. This to me is love. That's not to say it isn't a very joyful and powerful emotion, it's just my rational explanation of it. Rationality and science make great things sound boring sometimes.