Love

kvnchrist

So your assuming every women in the world doesn't recognize logic and science?

Besides love is still a emotion that people feel, that doesn't mean that I don't feel it as well. I simply don't believe that it can not be explained by science, and I don't think that has any effect on romance.

The logic your trying to use is humorous.

I don't use logic. I use experience which trumps logic every time. especially when dealing with the fairer sex.

Ain't that the truth......

You are never going to quantify, analyze, or otherwise explain love in a scientific context. Not gonna happen. To attempt to write if off as a chemical reaction in the brain, misses the point entirely. I think if I lived in a world where science COULD explain just what love is, I would blow my brains out, as life would not be worth living.

The whole experience versus logic debate has been going on for centuries. To me its quite obvious experience means nothing if you can't use logic to fully understand what the experience was.

Why does it miss the point? Love is going to be explained eventually with advances in brain science.

To say love is outside of the brain is to say it is being controlled by something else entirely. That makes no sense.

Also just read LadyMilla's posts, it is explained their much better.

You got a lot more faith in science than I do...... at least, medical science.

We don't know what most of the brain does in any event. I really don't see that changing any time soon. Certainly not in (what's left of) my lifetime, probably not in yours either.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides love is still a emotion that people feel, that doesn't mean that I don't feel it as well. I simply don't believe that it can not be explained by science, and I don't think that has any effect on romance.

I don't use logic. I use experience which trumps logic every time. especially when dealing with the fairer sex.

You are never going to quantify, analyze, or otherwise explain love in a scientific context. Not gonna happen. To attempt to write if off as a chemical reaction in the brain, misses the point entirely. I think if I lived in a world where science COULD explain just what love is, I would blow my brains out, as life would not be worth living.

The whole experience versus logic debate has been going on for centuries. To me its quite obvious experience means nothing if you can't use logic to fully understand what the experience was.

Why does it miss the point? Love is going to be explained eventually with advances in brain science.

To say love is outside of the brain is to say it is being controlled by something else entirely. That makes no sense.

We don't know what most of the brain does in any event. I really don't see that changing any time soon. Certainly not in (what's left of) my lifetime, probably not in yours either.

Since we can't explain it fully by science yet does not mean it will never be explained by science.

I will respect everyone saying that love is deeper though, since I understand that point of view. I just disagree with it.

Since we can't explain it fully by science yet does not mean it will never be explained by science.

I will respect everyone saying that love is deeper though, since I understand that point of view. I just disagree with it.

Given enough time, science will explain darn near everything. Of course, that isn't going to happen for thousands of years, provided the human race even makes it that long.... Still, I do not expect anything to happen quickly, nor do I look forward to it. Science is not everything. Everything is not science. If you try and live your life thinking it is, you are going to have a very lonely life. Of course, YOU may be the one to quantify love...... but, I am not sure that is a distinction I would even want....

Given enough time, science will explain darn near everything. Of course, that isn't going to happen for thousands of years, provided the human race even makes it that long.... Still, I do not expect anything to happen quickly, nor do I look forward to it. Science is not everything. Everything is not science. If you try and live your life thinking it is, you are going to have a very lonely life. Of course, YOU may be the one to quantify love...... but, I am not sure that is a distinction I would even want....

Thinking logically about the cause of something does not mean I don't feel the same thing you do.

Thinking that love is scientific has nothing to do with feeling love.

We already have a basic idea on why love happens, look at LadyMilla's posts.

Logic is a strip map to solving an issue. It is not the only one and certainly not the best one, when dealing with human experience. Logic is a horse with blinders on and experience is the same horse that knows the ground where it treads.

This makes me believe you haven't ever been in love. You are controlled by something outside the brain. You make decisions that aren't logical, aren't necessarily beneficial and sometimes down right dangerous. Understanding this, is the best example of how experience trumps logic. You don't need to use logic to understand what you are experiencing, It takes incite, wisdom. Wisdom comes from experiencing life, making and observing the choices, good or bad that are made and learning from them. Incite is just seeing the tell-tale signs of possible upcoming events, like being asked twice by your girlfriend if her pants make her butt look big.

All you need to do to throw logic off your trail is to do something illogical and how many people have done that in the past? Especially, when you are in love.

Logic is a strip map to solving an issue. It is not the only one and certainly not the best one, when dealing with human experience. Logic is a horse with blinders on and experience is the same horse that knows the ground where it treads.

You are controlled by something outside the brain.

Again, you confuse the perception of love with the underlying physiological and neurological process, and you keep falling back to your romantic notions. You may feel that you are controlled by something outside your body, but it is always your brain that drives you to the subject of your attraction. Your thoughts, your emotions, your entire consciousness... they are all in your brain. (You can also see the sun moving in the sky and you may conclude: 'this is what I see, this is what I perceive, the sun is moving and the earth stands still' and yet you are wrong because you fail to break through the veil of your perception.)

The fact that love and emotions are in your brain does not make the emotion of love less beautiful, although I admit that an in-depth scientific scrutiny, proof and explanation that drills down to the level of interactions between molecules, neuron groups and whatnot would spoil the perception of love to a certain degree. But I think I'll just leave it at that - as I see, you do not seek an actual debate, rather a confirmation of your own beliefs about love.

At this point I have to throw in this alternate definition of logic in:

Logic is the process of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

The second you explain something it loses its mysticism, its appeal. I'm sure that the first person who comes up with the mathematical forumla to give a complete definition of love will be lynched and never seen or heard from again.

Every person who has ever been in love appreciates the inexplicable pull towards the object of their desire. Boiling it down to a handful of chemical reactions just...cheapens the whole experience and ruins it for those who enjoy it.

My question, then, to marharth and LadyMilla: why are you so bent on ruining one of life's greatest mysteries? Some people quite like the unexplained emotional whirlwind that is Love...why are you determined to take that away from them?

If everything HAS to be explainable by science...then explain why a tornado can completely obliterate one house and leave the house next door (as in, 30 feet away, over the fence) untouched. Or was that house spared by poltergeists? (Remember, marharth: it was YOU who said that if it cannot be explained by science it is paranormal.)

Sometimes life leaves us mysteries we cannot solve. Sometimes it's best to let those mysteries be.