Bethesda Forums hacked... again

Deleted1848331User

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was because of the lawsuit, they attacked the wrong target. Bethesda isn't suing anyone. Right at the moment, neither is Zenimax since it hasn't gone to court anywhere yet. Also, it's not Notch they went after, it's the company he works for. So much misinformation being thrown around. So easily avoided too, just don't actin a knee-jerk fashion because someone sent you a legal notice. Keep it quiet, it gets resolved quietly. Make a bunch of noise, lawyers tend to get defensive and take it to trial.

Also "hacked" isn't quite the operative term. Attacked by script kiddies fits better. Almost certainly the result of some cheap exploit in the forum software. Which should make more than just Bethesda nervous about now since it's not just them using the software. My guess - something to do with the avatars since those are still unavailable at BGS.

As far as emails, check your spam folders. I know of at least one person so far who found their reset notice buried under a mountain of spam in their gmail account.

Arthmoor: Pointing out that Notch doesn't work for a company. He owns Mojang.

Doesn't change much. Zenimax is still issuing the notice to Mojang, the "corporate" entity that actually owns the IP in question. I've seen this stupidly broken down as "Todd sued Notch" in plenty of places, or more commonly as "Bethesda sued Minecraft" - neither of which has any real meaning in legal circles because that's not even what happened.

Any attacks launched on the basis of Bethesda doing anything are utterly ignorant, which isn't surprising, most members of Anonymous and LulzSec and whoever else fit that description.

I'm beginning to think the safest thing to do is not join any forums...

Nope, it's only safe if your computer isn't hooked up to the internet :P

Edited by Arthmoor

I'm beginning to think the safest thing to do is not join any forums...

Nope, it's only safe if your computer isn't hooked up to the internet :P

LOL. I'm afraid that's an entirely different thread...