What can be done to stop the violence on the Mexican/Amerian border

kvnchrist

The violence along the border is mostly the cartels fighting each other for control of certain smuggling corridors between Mexico & the US. Legalizing drugs might have some effect, but it would not eliminate the cartels. The cartels would find a new vice to bring in the cash they would lose from legalizing drugs. They are already heavily involved in kidnapping, gun running, prostitution, protection rackets, gambling and probably many other activities that are either outright illegal or marginally so. Building a fence along the entire border would not stop their gang warfare on either side of the border.

As for securing the border, I want to know how and why it became unacceptable to use the military to secure the border? I always believed that was one of the jobs they were actually created for. Nearly every other country on Earth uses their military to secure their border. But for some reason I haven't been able to comprehend, it's no longer acceptable for the US to do so.

I also believe there should be a legal way for Mexicans and others to enter the US temporarily for work in those low income jobs such as harvesting produce that most Americans refuse to do. Many would happily return to Mexico and their families at the end of the season with a pocketful of US dollars to improve the Mexican economy. As it is now,they are afraid that if they go home, they will not be able to get back into the US to work again. And, NO I am not talking about an amnesty for illegals. They would have to return to Mexico in order to apply for that program.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've always wondered is if the U.N. could step in and help out Mexico. If it is clear that the cartels control various areas of Mexico and have created a level of unrest that puts lives in danger, which it clearly does. Couldn't that be taken as a human rights issue.

What I've always wondered is if the U.N. could step in and help out Mexico. If it is clear that the cartels control various areas of Mexico and have created a level of unrest that puts lives in danger, which it clearly does. Couldn't that be taken as a human rights issue.

I don't think mexico wants other military forces operating within their borders, regardless of the reason.....

I was chatting to a couple trimmers from Cali a couple weeks ago, and they don't want to legalise weed. Mostly their justification was all BS... but I found that quite interesting. I half expected them to be all for legalise it. They were like naw, f*** that, we make too much money this way, we don't want to move it to agricultural land and no one goes to jail for weed anyway.... of course they said that right after they were done telling me how to they set up moving it around across state lines without drawing suspicion to themselves. :unsure:

I was just like, well they can do wtf you like in cali, but something needs to be done about it everywhere else because people are dying...

Saying that I need to change careers, because that trimming job sounds cushtier than I dunno what. Get high for 6 weeks in a beautiful part of the US then get a coffee bag full of money at the end.

Edited by Ghogiel

I was chatting to a couple trimmers from Cali a couple weeks ago, and they don't want to legalise weed. Mostly their justification was all BS... but I found that quite interesting. I half expected them to be all for legalise it. They were like naw, f*** that, we make too much money this way, we don't want to move it to agricultural land and no one goes to jail for weed anyway.... of course they said that right after they were done telling me how to they set up moving it around across state lines without drawing suspicion to themselves. :unsure:

I was just like, well they can do wtf you like in cali, but something needs to be done about it everywhere else because people are dying...

Saying that I need to change careers, because that trimming job sounds cushtier than I dunno what. Get high for 6 weeks in a beautiful part of the US then get a coffee bag full of money at the end.

Doesn't sound like those trimmers were had very much to worry about. They are safe and others aren't. Someone needs to overturn their apple cart.

What I've always wondered is if the U.N. could step in (a lot of -) and help out (royally -) Mexico. If it is clear that the cartels control various areas of Mexico and have created a level of unrest that puts lives in danger, which it clearly does. Couldn't that (should) be taken as a human rights issue.

http://www.filehurricane.com/viewerthumbnails/1114200985558AM_UN.jpg

Name three things the UN has actually succeeded at.

Unfortunately Mexico has been run by the cartels for a while. As for fixing it... I'm not really sure. Mexico's really just messed up at a governmental level. It would require a lot of overhauling in order to fix things up, and likely some sort of oversight because clearly their system in place isn't working.

EDIT: At overturning the apple cart: Unfortunately, the cartels are better armed than most US police departments, barring the larger cities with larger SWAT/STAR teams.

Edited by RZ1029

What I've always wondered is if the U.N. could step in (a lot of -) and help out (royally -) Mexico. If it is clear that the cartels control various areas of Mexico and have created a level of unrest that puts lives in danger, which it clearly does. Couldn't that (should) be taken as a human rights issue.

http://www.filehurricane.com/viewerthumbnails/1114200985558AM_UN.jpg

Name three things the UN has actually succeeded at.

Unfortunately Mexico has been run by the cartels for a while. As for fixing it... I'm not really sure. Mexico's really just messed up at a governmental level. It would require a lot of overhauling in order to fix things up, and likely some sort of oversight because clearly their system in place isn't working.

EDIT: At overturning the apple cart: Unfortunately, the cartels are better armed than most US police departments, barring the larger cities with larger SWAT/STAR teams.

I am not a big fan of The U.N. but who can gather enough force that could change things for the better. I think it would be a blood bath and the hostilities wouldn't be kept only on Mexican soil.

Certainly not the UN. They don't do combat. I think it's against their religion. Most of the time, the UN troops are walking around with UNloaded weapons.......

Well, if it comes down to what I think it will. Who will have to do it? We are talking the equivalent of a rouge state here.

The UN and its shortcomings should be discussed in a separate topic. This topic is violence along the Mexican/US border. So please keep any discussion that includes the UN relevant to this topic only. :thumbsup:

bben46, Moderator