Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well maybe i buy the game for 360 even if i don like to game that way, but i will miss all the mods. The mods was a big part of the experience and the game idea in general. to be able to play how/when/what way u wanted.

Buy it on whatever you use to gaming on .. If you want mods and a keyboard/mouse settup don't let steam stop you .. Its a fine app and any issues you or anyone else is having can be worked out easily with a small bit of know how. Most of this won't ever be a problem except the auto update issue some people have that will ruin the script extender "if you even use a mod that requires it" most don't .. Its really a minor thing for MOST people .. I'm sorry for those of you with issues but if you buy this on a console your completely locking out mods :/

It's not about piracy at all, at max piracy is an excuse. I believe all work must be paid, without selling all entertainment industry collapse and game developers would close the doors (to keep on what matters here). So, buying the game is the best thing a gamer can do to keep games coming.

What I don't support is the intrusiveness and the control attempt. "You" are failing to notice how you are putting everything under control of another, mainstream mankind is each time more like cattle... well, maybe it is in fact, maybe ever was.

Internet brought the greater freedom mankind ever experimented to date, if it fail in this it will bring the greater slavery mankind ever experimented. Orwell 1984 becomes just a pale image of our future.

PS: this post is directed to everyone in general and to no one in particular.

Edited by nosisab

Its a deterrent and it does help lower the numbers of people who torrent it ..

The most pirated game of 2008 was spore. Apparently it also had one of the extreme forms of DRM.

2009 was MW2- steamworks

2010 was COD blops- steamworks

What makes you think DRM actually lowers the number of people who torrent a game? It appears it has little if any effect at all. But I can't see a way to tell either way. You can't release the same game twice, once with DRM and another without and see which one is pirated more.

It's not about piracy at all, at max piracy is an excuse. I believe all work must be paid, without selling all entertainment industry collapse and game developers would close the doors (to keep on what matters here). So, buying the game is the best thing a gamer can do to keep games coming.

What I don't support is the intrusiveness and the control attempt. "You" are failing to notice how you are putting everything under control of another, mainstream mankind is each time more like cattle... well, maybe it is in fact, maybe ever was.

Internet brought the greater freedom mankind ever experimented to date, if it fail in this it will bring the greater slavery mankind ever experimented. Orwell 1984 becomes just a pale image of our future.

PS: this post is directed to everyone in general and to no one in particular.

Aside from the fact that was mostly rubbish and it IS about piracy .. Piracy is a major issue to the gaming industry and consoles stop it .. I agree with you about control being placed in one company's hands but its the point they are at currently .. This is the PC answer to help prevent it and the most effective one .. we have three choices .. extreme DRM that requires constant net connection that wil break gameplay on router connections like mine "Like hat was done with splinter cell convictions" .. number two would be steam/origin like system that markets the game cheaply and makes and extra step for would be crackers and pirates as well as making it easier to get for people who don't want to pirate but do it out of pure accessability .. and three .. the honor system :D oh yea .. I bet the pirates love that one lol

Its a deterrent and it does help lower the numbers of people who torrent it ..

The most pirated game of 2008 was spore. Apparently it also had one of the extreme forms of DRM.

2009 was MW2- steamworks

2010 was COD blops- steamworks

What makes you think DRM actually lowers the number of people who torrent a game? It appears it has little if any effect at all. But I can't see a way to tell either way. You can't release the same game twice, once with DRM and another without and see which one is pirated more.

You totally missed my point .. Its not DRM ... Its a combination of things and steam is very effective at what it does .. it makes the game easier to get for people who pirate out of pure laziness as well as deterring people who are less expirianced with the torrenting/cracking stuff.. its many different time tested tricks to get players to stop pirating and is effective.. now I'm not posting on this topic again and I'll leave this conversation to you all to enjoy on your own .. Pirating is wrong and the honor system doesnt work .. why don't you all get together and invent a better system :P

You totally missed my point .. Its not DRM ... Its a combination of things and steam is very effective at what it does .. it makes the game easier to get for people who pirate out of pure laziness as well as deterring people who are less expirianced with the torrenting/cracking stuff.. its many different time tested tricks to get players to stop pirating and is effective..

So effective that the number of pirated copies is lower? Why do you believe that?

now I'm not posting on this topic again and I'll leave this conversation to you all to enjoy on your own .. Pirating is wrong and the honor system doesnt work .. why don't you all get together and invent a better system :P

I have. It's called not tying Steamworks into the Steam app. I have no problem with either on their own. Steam itself should be optional, Steamworks as an online authentication DRM is acceptable. This way EVERYONE is happy. Even the pirates. Who are happy anyway.

Man, you would be chocked to see every game for all consoles imaginable being sold at daylight in almost every "barker" (sorry I don't know the word for those extra-official merchants...) in my country. This just grounds your words about consoles stopping piracy :)

Analyze with care and certainly becomes noticeable DRMs are more some form to bind and control the legit consumer than to prevent the "less than legit" ones. Those companies aren't driven by stupids, they know this better than anyone else. Actually a simple copy check is enough to incentive the good user to buy a legit copy of the game, most would do this even without that simpler protection just because is the right thing to do. To the others I quote the borgs "resistance is futile", actually they are motivated by the "difficulty" instead intimidated by it.

well maybe i buy the game for 360 even if i don like to game that way, but i will miss all the mods. The mods was a big part of the experience and the game idea in general. to be able to play how/when/what way u wanted.

Buy it on whatever you use to gaming on .. If you want mods and a keyboard/mouse settup don't let steam stop you .. Its a fine app and any issues you or anyone else is having can be worked out easily with a small bit of know how. Most of this won't ever be a problem except the auto update issue some people have that will ruin the script extender "if you even use a mod that requires it" most don't .. Its really a minor thing for MOST people .. I'm sorry for those of you with issues but if you buy this on a console your completely locking out mods :/

What ever way, ill make sure Betsheda gets there money and i get my plessure :)