Curious on whether this memory will work with my AMD board

Ok, I have been looking to get some new memory for a while and I believe I have settled on something. However, I am concerned that it may not work with my board due to it saying Intel XMD Ready when i am running an AMD motherboard. I am not sure on whether memory will run on any brand of board so here I am hoping that someone will be able to answer my question.

Sorry if it sounds noobish, but I would really like to make sure. Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble.

Here is the link to the memory: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=894285&csid=_21

-Elsarian

P.S. Also, if you have any recommendations for me than feel free to post them as long as they have nothing to do with Corsair brands. I just have always had bad luck with those. Thanks.

Meant Intel XMP. Sorry for the double post.

Try either Kingston or Crucial memory sites - you should be able to enter the board number, and it'll pick compatible memory - then compare the spec. The things to watch are: Speed (PC2-5300 or whatever), DDR2 or DDR3, ECC or non ECC, registered or non-registered. As long as those four sets of details match, it SHOULD work.

Alright thank you my friend. Would you happen to know one of Kingstons sites?

Ok I have found all the answers that I needed. Thank you very much Mark. Kudos goes to you.

-Elsarian

its really weird, ive look in multiple places, newegg as well and googled the product and the official Kingston website, and no where does it list the compatible boards like most memory does. lol personally i would just go with something i KNOW works with my board. an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

it lists AMD as a board it supports. which me personally, makes me feel better lol. but im not very knowledgeable when it comes to all this.

It is part of a memory stick feature called Serial presence detect (SPD). The SPD is a ROM ship contains information about the stick for the computer to automatically detect and configure the hardware during POST(Power On Self Test.) The SPD ROM chip only contains 256 bytes of data(though bytes 0 through 175 is allocatted by a standard.) Most information includes speed settings, voltage needed to run, CAS Latency, etc... Extreme Memory Profile(XMP) is usually unallocated space(bytes 176 through 255) on the chip. Most information in this space are the faster speeds of the RAM.

Information source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Presence_Detect#Extensions

Very interesting Vecna. So are you saying that the memory may perform faster on an intel based board? Seeing that it was the only thing that had "XMP" attached to it?

And thank you as well for your post hoofhearted.

I called and talked to Kingston directly, and I gave them the model number of my motherboard and looked up the model of memory that I was getting and said that it should work fine on an AMD based board. So i will just have to wait and see what happens when the memory comes in.

Thanks to all of you.

-Elsarian

It won't run faster, but here comes an lengthy explanation.

DDR3 memory comes in several speeds most common are 1066,1333 and 1600Mhz.

When you put your computer together your RAM will run at either 1066 or 1333Mhz for default.

You have to manually set the speed to 1600Mhz in the BIOS.

All that XMP does is putting the ram at 1600Mhz automaticly, although you will still have to activate it in the BIOS.

So it makes no difference, It is an option to make it easier to set the correct speed in Intel systems.

Thanks for you response Eirk. I already knew about having to set that in the BIOS. It gets annoying after so many times of having to do it. I just did not have any clue as to what XMP meant or what it did.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

Kudos to you my friend.

-Elsarian