New redesign implemented

Dark0ne

If you're reading this then you're looking at the new Nexus site design. If this is a surprise to you then sorry! I've been keeping people informed through the site news and blog posts over the past few months so try and check in every now and again and see what new stuff is getting added to the sites.

This new design is the combination of many months of hard work between myself and a professional web designer trying to get things, to start with, how I wanted it and then following some constructive feedback from the community, tweaked more towards how you want it.

Before you huff, and you puff, and you blow my house down please know that this is just the start: a starting place from which myself and others can work from. A necessary first step. Over the course of the coming days, weeks, months (and dare I say it, years) the design is going to be tweaked, fixed, updated, expanded and improved so this isn't the end, it's just the start.

You see, the sites are growing. A new format for the sites was needed so that someone much better than myself at coding could come in and provide you with some great new features and services. When I first launched TESNexus my scope and vision only extended so far, now, the old design has been presenting a major stumbling block to my current and future plans. Think of it as building extensions on a house; there's only so many extensions you can put on to a house and only so far the original foundations run before you become strapped for room to expand and improve. Once you run in to this snag it's much simpler to start from scratch and rebuild things bigger, better and stronger for the future.

There's lots of work still to go and I've no doubt that some of you are running in to a few issues which I'd really like to hear about (so I can fix them!), so get in contact if you're experiencing problems. I've tried my hardest to make the new design compatible with all the major browsers out there. A note on this: IE7 is not supported (please update your 5 year old web browser!) and the sites will not display correctly in IE9 compatibility mode (as it shows sites how IE7 would display them). If you have IE9 and the site isn't looking right for you then turn off compatibility mode for the Nexus sites.

Some bugs from the old design have been fixed and a few small features added in this version of the redesign. Here's the changelog:

• Members with editing access to files now get borders on their comments like the file uploader
  • You can now rep a post if you've neg-repped it, or neg-rep a post if you've repped it (originally once you'd given reputation you couldn't change your mind)
  • The time limit for having your images displayed in the "Hot files" on the site index has been reduced from 21 days to 7 days (except on The Witcher Nexus, which has a limit of 28 days) to provide a greater variety and change to the files from day-to-day
  • Changed the timer for rating files from 3 hours to 1 hour and changed it so it checks the time against your first download, not your last download of the file
  • Negative endorsements have been removed
  • A link to the change log for files will only show if the author has provided a change log
  • The video that plays for normal members before downloading a file will now only show once every 4 hours

I understand if you're not a massive fan of the new design. The Nexus sites kept their design for 4 years and change is never easy. But give it some time, and look forward to the future. Because I am, and with good reason. Happy 10th Birthday, Nexus. Just be glad I didn't give you a hat...

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Front Page rotator is changed, isn't it? Now featuring the LATEST files and not the most popular anymore, am I correct? That is a great idea, giving ALL modders an equal chance at getting noticed by the same rules. Modders are artists and the vast majority of us don't care much for PR campaigns and launch strategies. My mods always drowned in the previous system, but I am happy to see that changes have been made in this department. Elder Scrolls modders all over the place should rejoice.

Or wait. Is it an editorial pick who ends up in the rotator? That's actually even better!

Edited by Antiscamp

I by no means hate this new site design.

I'm sure it was a lot of work ^_^

Three big issues that I have come across so far though -- Firstly, I find the green buttons to leave a manage mod page, as well as the ones for kudos etc (you know, those green ones) to be difficult to notice sitting all the way over on the right by themselves. Secondly, images in the thumbnail gallery are being distorted to 16x9 dimensions. I don't know about other people, but none of my images match those dimensions, and it looks rather awful when they are skewed like that. Lastly, the fixed width column seems to waste a lot of space, making pages so much longer and content much harder to go through. On my main mod management page I now have to scroll and scroll to look at all my mods -- where they should easily fit on one page.

hey staff, I thought that if you logged in to one of the nexus sites, you were logged in to all. I have had to log in to each one I use. Is that a bug? or did you guys just not get that feature added?

Oh.....and the DA Nexus...is is REALLY pink-ish...:/

Edited by XTR3M368

Welllll....

The site no longer resizes to fit whatever screen you have. On a widescreen, easily half the horizontal space is unused. That results in scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... On the old site, I could see 12 new mods in Latest Files at a time. Now? Three.

The tracking/comment notifications also seems to be missing. I quite liked that feature..

Edited by Madcat221

Well Hello Dark0ne. Would like to say i love the new website layout. But the problem is i can access all the Nexus sites but not the New Vegas Nexus. I use Firefox and google chrome neither of which allow me to access it.

This is what i get when i try to go to the New Vegas Nexus.

I get forwarded to this URL.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/modules/login/do_logout.php?redirect=/content/cookie.php

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /modules/login/do_logout.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.16 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.16 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.2.9 Server at www.newvegasnexus.com Port 80

Thanks for your time sorry if you already knew about this issue or if the website hasnt been finished fully.

Tyco1709

hey staff, I thought that if you logged in to one of the nexus sites, you were logged in to all. I have had to log in to each one I use. Is that a bug? or did you guys just not get that feature added?

It's in Axel's version that is coming soon.