Why do all the preset women faces have such sharp jawlines?

Topster88

edit: however the PC should be 4x better. Though compression WILL still be seen. If you had access to the private mod forums, you could visit the 3d modelling thread and see this topic come up.. ;)

What? I thought the private mod forums only consisted of General, Feedback, TES, Fallout, and Dragon Age subforums. Unless I'm totally missing something here xD

And I can't wait for some HQ textures. I might not be able to enable DX11, but I can sure boast anything that's been thrown my way so far, so I personally can't wait to see some HQ stuff.

it does, There is a 3d modelling thread. Come join.

Don't worry about DX11, it's not even going to do ANYTHING graphically what so ever.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the neck seams... It's the textures. The mesh itself looks seamless. It doesn't look like Oblivion's neck, like someone poked a stick with the head on it onto the body. It looks obvious that the face and neck textures look better than the body textures. That's the reason for the seam. More like bad texture transition to be honest.

This is late alpha anyway, and it's Xbox graphics. Bethesda aren't stupid, they will do something.

the neck seems are minor .. fallout 3 minor .. its there but its better than most games with character customization .. the blockiness on the noses from what I assume is a low res normal map without any texture filtering is obvious but I don't see it in game .. only in these pictures .. I think its just in this character creation menu... It might also just be the model itself being render with some odd edge blending .. but then why is it only visible on the nose? .. its hard to say .. very strange visual bug that I'm sure wont show in game.

The blockiness on the noses/lips is from flat shading and the lighting they used to take the screenshots. The seams possibly will be re-textured so they are not visible. The hair textures, however, need to be fixed. It just shows a lot of gaps between the strands.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Phong-shading-sample.jpg

The blockiness on the noses/lips is from flat shading and the lighting they used to take the screenshots. The seams possibly will be re-textured so they are not visible. The hair textures, however, need to be fixed. It just shows a lot of gaps between the strands.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Phong-shading-sample.jpg

Thats not from a hard render though .. if it was then the whole face would look like that .. I can't figure it out honestly .. Ive seen this in saints row 2 but that was more clear .. it was from a normal map that was baked at a lower resalution than it should have been and the fliters for it wernt bluring the edges on the pixels enough so it has a blockiness to it .. but this is much shaper like a hard surface render as you pointed out .. still.. its only on the nose and around the eyebrows .. maybe the crease angle for hard/soft render of edges is to low

Eeeuw. Chargen is going to be a challenge. All the women look like men, the orc females are the only ones that have got prettier since Oblivion. Perhaps Bethesda were afraid of being accused of discriminating against orcs.

I dunno why gals have to be ugly to be considered tough and adventuresome. If I want to look at an old bat, I can look in my mirror. In game, I can role play a deadly beauty and have it all ways. But it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of work in the CS and chargen.

Have to disagree there. Those are the basis of all. Just because it doesn't look right now doesn't mean it can't be altered to look awesome. The Nord barmaid for example I heard only took a minute or two. (Gstaff told me.) I mean seriously I hate when people bash stuff like this when they tried and to many have been successful. No offense its just that Bethsoft has tried and in my opinion gotten a lot better. Plus just because it is default how do you know it is going to be a challenge? I mean you haven't even seen all what the Chargen can do. So I'm not trying to make you mad or anything I'm saying it can be altered and Bethesda did there best.

Bloody hell its not that bad, i mean compare to the freak show on oblivion, u act like this is the up most best graphic d game, u can change your character from a preset, I hated all presets in fallout and oblivion and the hole fun bit is creating a completely different character from a preset, dont worry so much about the game, if ur looking at the minor details in the game stop ur only going to disappoint urself when u hype this game up to be more than it actually is by looking for minor detail errors and faults before its release just enjoy what you have :)

Here-Here young Snafu.

I for one thing the preset Nords look fabulous-not pretty, but rock hard . These guys have always been portrayed as "rugged" and they LOOK rugged without being inhuman. The Orcs however, and the Kajiit, actualy look interesting enough for me to play as. The Khajiit looks properly felid, and I can just imagine one of those dudes decked out as a shaman/druid, likewise the Orcs look more like what their lore is-the followers of an ancient Mer cursed by Malacath, than the rampaging "green-tide" of ape-like savages of WarHammer 40,000 or Oblivion.

They've given the Orcs and air of intelligence rather than bestiality, the Khajiit an aura of diference and identity, the Mer a degree of alien-ness, and the Humans a degree of... Well the humans don't look like a box-headed freakshow this time round, and let us be grateful.

Let me say I think all races look amazing and perfect .. I wouldn't change a thing and think the females look very pretty.. Anime mod cute? no.. but who the heck wants that kind of unrealistic vision of females walking around a place like Skyrim? .. My complaints about the weird visible edges of the mesh are kinda pointless cause I'm sure there is a reason for it and it will absolutely not look that way in game .. Also .. Ive been comparing in game screens with these and noticed that the hair and face textures are much higher res .. I'm willing to bet these are from the PC version.