Why do all the preset women faces have such sharp jawlines?

Topster88

Omg... this is a record... 3 double posts in a row. What the... :wallbash:

This is probably because the nexus sites are being updated.

Sometimes the forums are down for a few seconds as well.

I have seen lots of double posts lately.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're amazing. I like the roughness. It is the land of the Nords. Have fun trying to kick ass as looking like Prince Poppycock (America's Got Talent, look him up) everyone is gonna laugh at you http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

You know, they could be from a modeling program.

That would explain the tiles on faces and the black background, also the cheap looking hair.

Ohh that's right... The background of Z Brush is black, isn't it... I've been watching some Youtube video about Z Brush some time ago, and the blocks also appeared on the video.

The hair looks better in-game, yes. But still it's stationary like in Oblivion, I guess?

The seams... there are no seams technically. As I said it's just the texture of the body is lower resolution than that of the face and neck.

Sorry guys, but no. For a start Zbrush canvas has gradient background by default, though you can change it. It could be pink if you wanted.

The blocks are visible in ZB because you kinda want to see them at low subD stages of the sculpt. And because there are no smoothing groups in ZB, everything is hard edged. Now once you actually sub D it enough tehy become so small you can't see them.

See you can see them on the eye and horns?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/onimWIP.jpg

but not on this

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/Guyver/GUYVER2WIP.jpg

Also note that is ZB and the background is white. :)

for the record, BGS use both ZB and max for asset creation. Well maybe someone is using other programs on occasion, mudbox, Maya or modo for various jobs, but ZB and max are the main tools here. Here is a head from my 3dsmax view port I made the other day, it is a real time DX9 shader, this is not a fancy render or anything like that, this is similar to advanced renders like Unreal or CE2, frostbite2.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/wipz/DurosHead.jpg

visit the folder for a dozen more examples. Explain the lack of 'blocks' in my work?

None of that explains those blocks, in fact those artifacts would imo indicate the complete opposite, even if I didn't think that this is supposed to be the chargen, ZB certainly won't have it, it's a sculpting app VERY different to a 3d program. It uses pixols, they call it 2.5d. Even max likely doesn't have it availible in the viewport either, though it is possible. Not sure why they would actually write the program nearly twice.

The seam thing is probably more or less on the money. But I am not certain that is all there is, but the indication does seem to be that it is mainly differing texel density drawing your eye there.. as can be witnessed in the females where the seam is less visible, the smooth plain skin with less high frequency details appears to allow the neck and body to blend seamlessly. :thumbsup:

I think you were right on with it being part of the creation kit for making NPCs .. I'm thinking back to all the weird visuals of objects Ive seen in the G.E.C.K. and Cryengine3 Sandbox or some other modding SDKs out there. Clearly not Zbrush .. I covered in a few posts back the obvious reasons these arnt being rendered in an external modeling program imo.

because they all use the same face, look closely the eyes, eye lashes, hair changes but the shape of the head its self doesn't. i guess it was easier to do it this way to get these photos and the black background doesn't help.

I noticed that too. I assume that in alteration of the facial features is possible as was in Oblivion.

because they all use the same face, look closely the eyes, eye lashes, hair changes but the shape of the head its self doesn't. i guess it was easier to do it this way to get these photos and the black background doesn't help.

I noticed that too. I assume that in alteration of the facial features is possible as was in Oblivion.

This is bull .. they are NOT using the same shape .. look closely .. no.. not that closely .. CLOSER .. *smacks your head into your monitor for spreading such slander* they are close but NOT the same shapes at all .. sorry for that :D .. but really .. they arn't .. look at each feature .. also keep in mind they are trying to make them all pretty and nice .. they got a lot of trash for oblivion

Eeeuw. Chargen is going to be a challenge. All the women look like men, the orc females are the only ones that have got prettier since Oblivion. Perhaps Bethesda were afraid of being accused of discriminating against orcs.

I dunno why gals have to be ugly to be considered tough and adventuresome. If I want to look at an old bat, I can look in my mirror. In game, I can role play a deadly beauty and have it all ways. But it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of work in the CS and chargen.

Have to disagree there. Those are the basis of all. Just because it doesn't look right now doesn't mean it can't be altered to look awesome. The Nord barmaid for example I heard only took a minute or two. (Gstaff told me.) I mean seriously I hate when people bash stuff like this when they tried and to many have been successful. No offense its just that Bethsoft has tried and in my opinion gotten a lot better. Plus just because it is default how do you know it is going to be a challenge? I mean you haven't even seen all what the Chargen can do. So I'm not trying to make you mad or anything I'm saying it can be altered and Bethesda did there best.

I was impressed when I saw the Nord barmaid really early on when the first screens came out, but since seeing those presets I have to wonder just how heavily they Photoshopped her. In MY opinion those presets are hideous and are a step backwards, they look Morrowindish quality wise and there seems to have been a conscious effort to make the humanoid races look ugly. Since I do not buy into the school of thought that says your toon must look ugly or grotesque to be tough, and want my fantasy alter ego to look better than I do, it follows that I am going to have to do quite a lot of tweaking to get my toon looking like I personally want her to look.

I love Bethesda games, but I am not prepared to start squeeing at everything they do, and in my opinion, these presets are ugly. Others may like them. It's all a matter of personal taste.

I was impressed when I saw the Nord barmaid really early on when the first screens came out, but since seeing those presets I have to wonder just how heavily they Photoshopped her. In MY opinion those presets are hideous and are a step backwards, they look Morrowindish quality wise and there seems to have been a conscious effort to make the humanoid races look ugly. Since I do not buy into the school of thought that says your toon must look ugly or grotesque to be tough, and want my fantasy alter ego to look better than I do, it follows that I am going to have to do quite a lot of tweaking to get my toon looking like I personally want her to look.

I love Bethesda games, but I am not prepared to start squeeing at everything they do, and in my opinion, these presets are ugly. Others may like them. It's all a matter of personal taste.

I think it's a fresh take to not be obsessed with physical appearance. We as a society constantly lie to ourselves with airbrushed photos and makeup. It's nice to make someone attractive but not perfect. That being said it's my opinion. You're welcome to do whatever you wish. Not everyone's ideal is shared. Edited by SHIROryuu

I understand totally what you are saying, but I equally don't understand why they had to go out of their way to make the presets look grotesque. These are not even just average looking, they are outright ugly, IMO.