Gmod Content Policy & Content Index System

Kreisher

Have a look at this...

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

Simple yet hugely useful, if I'm looking for particular Morrowind mod it's the first place I go. Now something covering a wide range of games complete with descriptions would be great.

Great resources! Do you know who originally compiled this? When we have our browse feature up you should be able to explore all the mods for a game by category (similar to mwmythicmods) and see a description.

You can see an example of our browse system here: http://gmod.com/mod/?s=oblivion&qc=mods&in=2

When we are complete you will be able to browse all the mods for that game at one time (rather than requiring search criteria).

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you link to the file page? even better why not take the time and effort to build your own community instead of leeching off others?

We aren't trying to Leech Jim_uk, we are trying to create a useful site that brings more exposure to mod and modders. Nexus is not only mod site on the net.

I can see the value of linking to the file page - this would also encourage users to contact the developer of the mod. I'll see if we can makes some changes on our end.

Modders - what do you think?

Since you're asking modders what they think I agree totally with Jim_uk. Link to the file page only and not the download link. Make a database list of links only as Jim already suggested otherwise you will very quickly alienate your site from the community as word gets around.

Even though further in this thread you've said you'll make changes, I don't want an account auto created in my name for any reason whatsoever. I particularly don't want people trying to contact me from sites other than where my mods are hosted either as I won't support them that way and they are not to be hosted anywhere I unless I personally upload them......just to be clear, as I read a previous thread here about your site and it's proposed methods.

I already see some mods there with auto created accounts for authors who may not be very happy about it because I doubt they've been contacted.

Edit: Since you mention there are other mod sites besides Tesnexus it leads me to think you'll go ahead anyway so I'll be notifying the ones where I have my mods hosted.

Edited by Maigrets

Why can't you link to the file page? even better why not take the time and effort to build your own community instead of leeching off others?

We aren't trying to Leech Jim_uk, we are trying to create a useful site that brings more exposure to mod and modders. Nexus is not only mod site on the net.

I can see the value of linking to the file page - this would also encourage users to contact the developer of the mod. I'll see if we can makes some changes on our end.

Modders - what do you think?

Since you're asking modders what they think I agree totally with Jim_uk. Link to the file page only and not the download link. Make a database list of links only as Jim already suggested otherwise you will very quickly alienate your site from the community as word gets around.

Even though further in this thread you've said you'll make changes, I don't want an account auto created in my name for any reason whatsoever. I particularly don't want people trying to contact me from sites other than where my mods are hosted either as I won't support them that way and they are not to be hosted anywhere I unless I personally upload them......just to be clear, as I read a previous thread here about your site and it's proposed methods.

I already see some mods there with auto created accounts for authors who may not be very happy about it because I doubt they've been contacted.

Edit: Since you mention there are other mod sites besides Tesnexus it leads me to think you'll go ahead anyway so I'll be notifying the ones where I have my mods hosted.

The "auto-account creation" is only a way of ensuring you get credit for your mods. I think it sounds like more than it is. The "account" is just the username - there's nothing really set up unless you "claim" your name. For instance, someone can't go in and visit a profile page with your name on it - because it wouldn't exist until you set it up. Sorry for the poor explanation - I can see why you'd be confused over that.

Essentially this.

Didn't you learn anything from when this same crap was being done last time? No offense, but after all this, I still would not use your site because I frankly do not trust in your practices.

Same advice as last time... If you want to make a good mod site... Stop trying to use gimmicks to try and pull people from other places. Instead offer users of your site something of value to build a community around. What this is, I couldn't tell you even if I knew, but everything you're doing now reeks of the same as last time, and frankly is not a good way to make your site known.

If you're looking to build a database site... Why even have a locally stored username for people who have not actually uploaded anything to your site?

Essentially this.

Didn't you learn anything from when this same crap was being done last time? No offense, but after all this, I still would not use your site because I frankly do not trust in your practices.

Same advice as last time... If you want to make a good mod site... Stop trying to use gimmicks to try and pull people from other places. Instead offer users of your site something of value to build a community around. What this is, I couldn't tell you even if I knew, but everything you're doing now reeks of the same as last time, and frankly is not a good way to make your site known.

If you're looking to build a database site... Why even have a locally stored username for people who have not actually uploaded anything to your site?

We only save the "username" so that 1. The correct person gets credit for it and 2. A modder can get access to and change the mod if they decide to use our site in the future. Again (as I just stated) its not actually an account until and unless the user activates it. Its just a name

Mind if I ask why are even posting this here?

Elder Scrolls and Fallout modding communities are mostly very well made already and bringing another site hosting the mods even if its on your own server is very much not needed.

Think of it if Nexus suddenly opened a site for Source engine. There are already a lot of HL2 modding sites and the Nexus site would get barely any mods. And it would be an average user going here, seeing how small and crappy the database is (since most modders are already kept to their communities) and leave. What you are doing is pretty much the same thing. Most games you have categories already have many dedicated websites and communities that have been up for years more then you have, and the only thing you are doing right now is trying to get attention. Not good attention by the way. You are trying to conquer so many game modding communities at once and you fail at every single one.

The two reasons Fallout 3 nexus and Fallout New Vegas nexus haven't failed epicly is 1) Many modders switched from Oblivion to the Fallout series modding since Geck and CS are very much identical. 2) Fallout 3 title was the first in the series that had such such modding capabilities, and The Nexus was one of the first to create a modding site for it. Meaning both people that just started modding Fallout and the people that already have modded Oblivion and Morrowind came to this site, creating even a bigger community. Just Nexus creating a page would almost guarantee that it will fail and be a waste of time money and resources.

Edited by antonkr

Soooo

If I understand correctly, your bot creates a page with the same content as the Nexus page. Right.

What about updates ? If your mod page says my mod is in version 0.60 but in reality it's in version 0.80, your users would need to know that.