Gmod Content Policy & Content Index System

Kreisher

http://gmod.com/tou

So this was an interesting read, and I have three concerns.

An excerpt:

2. LICENSES
A. License Terms.
GMOD and your Subscription(s) [b]require the automatic download and installation of software and other content and updates onto your computer[/b] ("Software"). You may not use the Software for any purpose other than the permitted access to GMOD and your Subscriptions. You understand that for reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, GMOD may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions or otherwise enhance the Software and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Software may change over time. You understand that neither this Agreement nor the terms associated with a particular Subscription entitles you to future updates, new versions or other enhancements of the Software associated with a particular Subscription although Olympus Entertainment may choose to provide such updates, etc. in its sole discretion.

Does this mean that upon successfully making an account at gmod.com, I've automatically downloaded software that I don't know anything about?

Further on, there's a lot of legal setup for paid services, merchandise selling, etc. I certainly hope that this doesn't include requiring users to pay to access certain mod files hosted OR non-hosted, especially non gmod.com user content. Just a reminder that directly selling mods for most games is against their EULA, but your site is suspect from the get-go, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Then:

7. USER GENERATED INFORMATION
"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of GMOD or to Olympus Entertainment through your use of the Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Olympus Entertainment products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Olympus Entertainment privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, you expressly grant Olympus Entertainment the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

Does this include crawled data, such as nexus user content appearing in gmod.com pages? Or just what registered gmod.com users create/do/say on gmod.com? What if a mod author who has files on the nexus is curious about goings on at gmod.com, and registers an account?

Edited by throttlekitty

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7. USER GENERATED INFORMATION
"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of GMOD or to Olympus Entertainment through your use of the Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Olympus Entertainment products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Olympus Entertainment privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, you expressly grant Olympus Entertainment the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

Interesting. Terms similar to this are why I pulled all my artwork from DeviantArt, and that I at least have rights to. It'll be interesting to see where this goes if the game developers and publishers get wind of this.

Looking this over... Why do I get the feeling that Gmod is little more than a marketing/spyware site trying to just gather information about its users, draw users from other sites, and suck in as much money as possible.

And it isn't that I don't understand that you aren't also going to try to build a database of mods elsewhere... It's because you are trying to build a database of mods from everywhere, without permission of authors, pre-registering their names for some sort of tracking (why track anything?), and building lists from information mined in other places where most aren't being told this information is being mined.

If I wanted to use such an invasive process that gathers endless amounts of user data for questionable ends, I'd rather use Google.

I don't think this is a good idea, I don't feel like managing my files from more then the Nexus. I hope you can block this "crawler" from doing anything with the Nexus, and if you can't, I'm sure this site will be in hot water again, hopefully some lawsuits for theft of intellectual property if that's possible.

My work and my words are my own and are my intellectual property, should they show up on your site.....I will pursue whatever legal action I can to have it removed.

I don't want to see ANY PART of my files or images on Gmod or linked to Gmod in any way, shape, or form. I don't want any automated account. Like rickerhk, I do not want anything to do with Gmod at all. Edited by AurianaValoria1

Just to make it abundantly clear in case my first post was ambiguous NONE of my mods are to appear on your site, not do I want you linking to my mod pages. This includes my user name and references to me or my mods.

Perhaps Bethesda would like to hear about this underhanded and offensive effort to mine sites for content related to their games, especially if as it seems there's the likelihood of you making money from these files.

EDIT: Another reminder...stay out of my profile. I don't wish to add you as a friend.

Edited by Maigrets