Skrim mostly DX9?

arcane20

I feel like a bit of an idiot now Actually. Because I just realised that 3ds max uses havok. I actually used havok to model one of my armours. :facepalm: Should of thought for a moment that they might have been the same thing. Maybe it was the frustration talking. Yeah hope it does have cloth simulation though.

I can't say I've noticed any Havok clothing in the trailers or previews, it might be too much for consoles so we don't get it either.

just play xbox its just as good and you don't have to waste thousands on PC stuff

I don't intend to start a console vs pc war, but I didn't expect that comment on a forum for mods...

That post does seem a little out of place here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so simple and obvious .. Its made to work for consoles and consoles are DX9 .. The only game Ive seen that properly supported DX11 and launched on consoles was Crysis 2 and it was after launch .. And even then it felt a tad bit tacked on .. though it was wonderful to see the tesselation and SSR along with a few of the other treats ..bokeh effects looked sweet too ... But until DX11 consoles launch you just arnt going to see support for it .. its not cost effective.. Sorry .. and as far as the PC basher a few posts up .. thousands? .. your getting ripped of if you think a good PC will cost thousands o_O .. you can get a decent DX11 ready rig for around 600-700 usd .. and thats about the cost of a new system at launch .. plus everyone owns a PC anyways so combining the costs of the PC and the console and getting two in one is much cheaper .. The argument that PC are more costly is just ignorant.

Elder Scrolls has this ball and chain around it's ankle known as the console market. Too many games have had their potential suffer because of what I like to call the Cowadooty Generation. Millions of brain dead teenagers that swallow short linear campaigns, copy pasted run and gun quick scope fest multiplayer modes, and yearly titles that offer nothing new but a roster updates and weapon loadouts, piss poor visuals, day one DLC that could have been in the game, and garbage story telling by the truck load. Witcher 2 was the last good PC RPG that held true to it's roots but games like this are becoming more and more rare because of the lucrative consumer that is the spoiled 13 year old brat.

I already preordered Skyrim for the PC and will enjoy it immensely and the modding community will fix most of the problems it will have. I just wish the game could really flex its potential but Bethesda knows the market share isn't with the PC so we get shafted.

END RANT

This is so simple and obvious .. Its made to work for consoles and consoles are DX9 ..

Feature levels. DX11 is backwards compatible. It is not a choice thing, DX10 is part of DX11, DX11 has superseded it because you can make a game with DX11 but only use features of DX up to DX10 if you wanted.

The point that it is made for consoles is on the money though. It's not something you tack on at the end in the strict sense, it'll be utilised from the beginning, But because the target platform is going to be the xbox, And they use the design philosophy that it should look the same across all platforms, No really Todd said that, they won't go and waste time implementing any feature like DX11 shaders because they entire DX9 API is in DX11, so they will only use the DX9 stuff and save time by not worrying about other features outside of DX9

This optimisation features of DX11 will mostly just be allowing hardware for those that have it to do its thing properly.

Edited by Ghogiel

Dirt 2, F1 2010, Dirt 3, BFBC2, DX:HR, Medal of Honor and Dragon Age2 are some that spring to mind, I'm sure there are more. I know BF3, F1 2011 and Batman: Arkham City will also support it, every one of them console ports.

Dirt 2, F1 2010, Dirt 3, BFBC2, DX:HR, Medal of Honor and Dragon Age2 are some that spring to mind, I'm sure there are more. I know BF3, F1 2011 and Batman: Arkham City will also support it, every one of them console ports.

BF3 is a PC game first.

Let's wait and see, I've heard "developed for PC" from other developers who were talking rubbish.

BF3 is a PC game first.

Let's wait and see, I've heard "developed for PC" from other developers who were talking rubbish.

Considering EVERY single piece of footage or screenshot we've seen of BF3 has only been from PC's, DICE has already proven that.

On the topic: You do realize that mostly all games are designed around DX9? Sure, you get some that have the Dx11 features added in, but guess what? Even in the PC industry, most consumers still use cards that don't support Dx11. I just recently got a new card myself, which was a signifigant upgrade from what I had before, but still no Dx11. But do I care? No, because I can still pump out amazing looking games without any problems. Sure, might be nice to have a game that's "mostly Dx11", But then you end up having a game tailored to a small number of PC players, and even smaller number of overall consumers. And if that makes you lose interest in what is already coming out to be a freaking amazing game, then that's your loss.

Edited by jhardingame

DX11 only requires a GPU upgrade

If your running Windows XP you'll need an OS upgrade as well.

And the amount of XP computer players is rather large, which furthers my point above. If you design around Dx11, you're practically cutting them out of the loop.

We dun want no loop cutting D: