AMD Bulldozer

Intel fanboys will argue performance, AMD fanboys will argue price. As usual. Nothing changes. I use the term "fanboys" loosely.

I am not quite sure what is supposed to be wrong or inferior about the AMD processors compared to the Intel core I7.

It seems to be implied that the core i7 outperforms the current Phenom Hexacores. Well I am no teccie, but despite what is on paper and in theory, in practice I have found that the AMD processors deliver on performance.

I have a core i7 in my laptop and a Phenom X6 1100T in my desktop, so have had experience of both.

I am not quite sure what is supposed to be wrong or inferior about the AMD processors compared to the Intel core I7.

I like both AMD and Intel. AMD gives you bang for buck. You buy a system and upgrade it for years by just dropping in the new affordable CPUs without having to buy a new motherboard. I like being able to double a system's processing power for next to nothing.

What I like about Intel is that you're given the choice to get a considerably faster chip for considerably more money if you want it and that chip will hold you for quite a few years without needing to upgrade. The downside is you're going to pay a premium and it won't be cheap and you're limited on your upgrades when the time comes. An example is where I am, I have 4 upgrade paths:

1. Buy the next faster cpu in my series for a small speed increase for around $250 (waste of money)
  2. Buy a 980X chip for $1000+ and get a decent speed increase (can't justify it)
  3. Overclock and a get a decent speed increase for $150 water cooling (this is my upgrade path)
  4. Buy the new socket CPU+motherboard for a small speed increase for $600 (waste of money)

Lame upgrade paths is one downside of not buying AMD but it doesn't matter, as long as I can play Fallout fast I'm happy.

Any idea what the socket range is going to be for the Bulldozer, it would be great if it was AM3+ again, i heard it might be something else, not sure ???? Edited by Thor.

AM3+ socket was made for the bulldozer CPU. Speaking about the bulldozer CPU, the FX-8150 (Bulldozer's flagship CPU) just recently shattered the Guinness World Record for the fastest overclock of 8.429 GHz.

Article with video:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_overclocks_fx-8150_84ghz_and_bulldozes_guinness_book_world_records

Article with Pictures:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_bulldozer_sets_guinness_world_record_overclocking

It seems to be implied that the core i7 outperforms the current Phenom Hexacores.

It's not implied, it is stated fact. And you pay for it. I doubt anyone will notice it very much in regular use, except for when doing extreme gaming, benchmarks or perhaps crunching massive simulations in 3d renders and such, and it has far superior overclocking potential. so it really comes down to a number on the box you buy at the store, aka a price tag, and the little numbers that come up in benchmarks.