Forgiveness for banned modders

djmystro

In my opinion there's no way a modder or an end user should be treated differently, rules are rules after all, all bans should be appealable however to make sure it's fair but no different rules should exist for modders or the users. As someone pointed out everyone contributes, people who download my mods and report bugs or just give feedback all contribute to Nexus, just in different ways.

In my opinion there's no way a modder or an end user should be treated differently

makes good logical sense . . . but somehow

an actual modder - or simply someone who legally uploads any mod

becomes the target for roving trolls . . . they are therefore under a much higher degree of bombardment than any other users.

so - although your logic has merit, it has real world problems too

If someone does something that's against the rules, they should be made to pay for that. As it's already been said, there is a report button. Quite frankly, I don't care if you're a new member, or a famous and well loved modder, you get as good as you give. Justice isn't a popularity contest and should be the same for everyone regardless of fame or skill. Edited by McclaudEagle

If someone does something that's against the rules, they should be made to pay for that. As it's already been said, there is a report button. Quite frankly, I don't care if you're a new member, or a famous and well loved modder, you get as good as you give. Justice isn't a popularity contest and should be the same for everyone regardless of fame or skill.

as Jean Luc Picard said

"when has justice been as simple as a rule book"

Again very well put, Fonger. But this time I have to disagree.

Justice isn't the sense behind the rules here. They are just set to keep peace. The ban hammer is a necessary evil. If I understood buddah's words right, the unban request form should not be used as complaining form or a way to get justice, it's a way to ask for a kind of forgiveness and to show that someone realised that he/she did sth wrong.

@djmystro

Being popular doesn't make anyone flawless or immune against board rules. But of cause I personally do care as well about such bans and I hate to see Modder or Non-Modder being banned for rather stupid reasons. In my opinion it's best to talk to the banned person first, to get a closer picture about how they see the situation. I've been in a similar situation once with a Non-Modder. I felt the need to go into defense of that person. But after talking about the ban and how it evolved first, I got a closer look onto the person's take on it. And it turned out that she just understood and accepted the ban and that her ways of view just started to differ with some of the sites rules regarding the non-nude-poicity and other minor things, which accumulated. Such conflicts can happen and sometimes it's a very temporary situation which lead to the ban, sometimes it needs more time or even lasts forever. But things are not written in stone. At least I hope so. :teehee:

To me, it matters not if someone is popular. The rules exist for everyone to ensure that this website and forum remain a good place for everyone. Favoritism is a horrible thing. If you break the rules, expect to be punished by them.

I've seen a user banned fairly recently that had a really cool and popular mod. I wanted this mod, and still do, but I didn't try to download it until it was too late. And that's just too bad for me. It was the author's creation and they had a right to request it to be removed after they had been banned.

If someone does get banned, as stated before, there's an unban request function. If you can use that and submit an honest apology for your own infraction, then I'm sure you'd be given a second chance. The moderators here are strict, but as far as I've seen they're fair. Sure, you may have been baited, but you had the choice to post what you did. In fact, when you write something nasty on a forum, you have to take the time to write it out and, if you're like me, review it before posting. You have time to realize what you've written is wrong and can change that.

I have past experience in running a rather successful WoW guild and my own forum, so I know the importance of strictly regulating what goes on within the community. I've had flamers and trolls and had to deal with them. I've even lost a guildmate or two because one of their friends were banned. But the guild and forum's quality remained high because of those enforced rules.

This all said, I do see the Op's point of view. We love what they made and we'd like to have them back, but they were the ones who broke the rules. They had the option of requesting an unban. They are responsible for the actions and consequences of those actions, not the moderators or the admin.

Make a mistake. Get banned. Feel bad? Apologize and request an unban. If it's sincere, you'll likely be able to return. It's a good system. I like it. If I mess up, I expect to be banned. If I skipped over a rule or didn't read the rules at all, too bad for me. It's available to me, there's no excuse.

If there were to be a change in the rules, I would suggest a specific amount of time placed on a ban. Here's an example from off the top of my head. I'm not stating this is how it should be, I'm merely giving an example. So commenting on the punishments in the example will be pointless. ;)

*****************************************************************************************

In all examples that have a non-permanent punishment, every infraction from there on will not only get you the standard punishment, but increase the amount of time the punishment lasts. Eg: Necro one thread? Standard. Necro another thread after that? Time doubled.

Piracy - Permanent. Support the makers, or leave.

Spam - Depending on the type (one-liners, bumping, etc), anywhere between a week to a month.

Flaming - Dependent on baited flaming or not. General flaming should be permanent. Baited, a month, because you should have known better.

Trolling - Permanent. There's no excuse for it. No one likes trouble makers.

Thread Necro - Between one and two weeks. It's not serious, but it is irritating.

Thread Hijacking - Three days to a week.

*****************************************************************************************

The last thing I'd like to add to Dark0ne, about his reference to someone using the "constitutional/human rights". This actually amuses me because I've seen that excuse used more than once in different forums. People need to learn that being on someone's forum is a privilege. One that be taken away. It has nothing to do with constitutional or human rights. A lawyer wouldn't even look at a case like that.

Obviously I am biased on this issue for two reasons but I do think modders should be cut a little more slack even if it is percieved as unfair. I would actually extend that to non modders who contribute in other ways, eg. people who post images, or just general posting and help people out. I would say it was more about how active someone had been (so long as that activity was seen as beneficial). I am not saying contributors should be immune, or should get away with truly offensive or illegal behaviour. Just that perhaps after a suitable time away people should perhaps be allowed back in the community if they have something to offer.

And as for the problem of people thinking contributers get special treatment, I really don't see it as an issue. You really think someone who has 2 posts to his name and gets banned has reason to complain that someone else who contributed for years was forvigen by the community? Thats just normal. If you are a great guy most of the time and help people out, they will forguve you the odd misdemeanor faster than if you are a stranger that has contributed little to the common good. Thats just normal social dynamics at work.

But like I said, I am hugely biased in this issue, and appreciate there are definately those that strongly disagree and I respect that.

Most of the time, the banned modders are banned not so much because of the pressure place on them as to the ego they build up over time. The creator of NVInteriors, Chucksteel, is a good example, yes, there was an element of pressure and slackness on one of the commentors (granted, I actually support Chucksteel in that scenario prior to his rant), but his ego allowed him to formulate an extremely bigoted and derogatory remark.