What are people entitled to?

kvnchrist

What are people entitled to, by nature and what should they be entitled to as a member of a society? Should there be a level of responsibility to those supplying the support structures?

Should compassion and concern eliminate the impact of bad or unwise actions and should there be limitations to those who repeat actions that place them continually in a needy situation. This does not include situations that they can't help, but does include addictions and actions that help is provided for.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*This is an example of what's know as an 'Opening Statement' in a debate. It is an opinion, as stand point with a foundation based on verfifiable facts.*

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are the organic rights listed in the Declaration of Independence. The organic rights enumerated in the Declaration are comparable to the fundamental rights enumerated by the French: liberty, equality, and fraternity. These are the three unalienable rights of man, and they are more expansive than the fetishism of extreme liberals.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are the organic rights listed in the Declaration of Independence. The organic rights enumerated in the Declaration are comparable to the fundamental rights enumerated by the French: liberty, equality, and fraternity. These are the three unalienable rights of man, and they are more expansive than the fetishism of extreme liberals.

I find it amazing how people on the right think that liberals hate freedom. Makes me wonder if anyone knows history anymore, and where the word started...

I find it amazing how people on the right think that liberals hate freedom. Makes me wonder if anyone knows history anymore, and where the word started...

First off topic post and a personal attack.

Back on topic:

From the preamble of the United States Declaration of Independence

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

In France's Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen this sentiment is again enumerated by "the natural and imprescriptible rights of man" to "liberty, property, security and resistance to oppression".

It is clear the intent of both documents was to provide irrevocable organic rights that cannot be governed or controlled by later generations.

Back on topic:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

That kinda sums up what liberalism is about. Democracy, a fundamental set of equal human rights, freedom from oppression.

Back on topic:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

In France's Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen this sentiment is again enumerated by "the natural and imprescriptible rights of man" to "liberty, property, security and resistance to oppression".

It is clear the intent of both documents was to provide irrevocable organic rights that cannot be governed or controlled by later generations.

It is a topic about what we are entitled to, so talking about freedom is not off topic. If it was, that would have meant you were the one posting the first one posting off topic. Don't try to say that I am breaking the rules when you don't want to reply to something.

Men wrote those documents. Men decided the rights. Your rights are decided by people and law, not by nature. I find it amazing anyone can disagree with that. Just because certain men in the past said we have rights given to us by nature, does not mean it is true. Those men decided the rights, and future generations further decided rights.

Edited by marharth