If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

Why couldn't machines create humans?

What would stop a advanced AI from creating a human exactly?

If the AI fully understood the brain and all of our biology, they could artificially grow organs and create a human.

Even if they could somehow manage to create everything that is found in the bodies of humans. How could they create actual life within that body.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the AI fully understood the brain and all of our biology, they could artificially grow organs and create a human.

Even if they could somehow manage to create everything that is found in the bodies of humans. How could they create actual life within that body.

We are stepping into the unknown here, but really simply put couldn't they let nature do it's thing, once living cells are functioning isn't it case of them going about their programming. if I am not mistaken an artificial life was created in a lab http://www.economist.com/node/16163006

An actually for the statement of " no object created is equal to it's creator." would abiogenesis suffice? "how biological life arises from inorganic matter through natural processes" I don't supose nature is less complex a 'thing' though....

Edited by Ghogiel

We are stepping into the unknown here, but really simply put couldn't they let nature do it's thing, once living cells are functioning isn't it case of them going about their programming. if I am not mistaken an artificial life was created in a lab http://www.economist.com/node/16163006

An actually for the statement of " no object created is equal to it's creator." would abiogenesis suffice? "how biological life arises from inorganic matter through natural processes" I don't supose nature is less complex a 'thing' though....

I don't think they created anything that wasn't already there.

Sure if you consider a entirely new creature that has no biological ancestors with it's DNA made from off the shelf chemicals already there. The genome is entirely synthetic.

Sure if you consider a entirely new creature that has no biological ancestors with it's DNA made from off the shelf chemicals already there. The genome is entirely synthetic.

That depends on your definition of life.

That depends on your definition of life.

What would be a definition of life that makes any difference?

Honestly K...I think your question was more argumentative than debate stirring...and could lead down the religion road where there is a bunny with great, big teeth.

Lets take your logic all the way down the road. We create the AI, we enfranchise the AI to be equal then the AI evolves far past us to the point that is comparable to humans to chimpanzees. Just how willing do you think the AI's will be to grant you equal rights? There is this naive assumption of the supposed morality of the AI's that has no basis other than wishful thinking. All equal rights adherents seem quite willing to grant coequal status to a MACHINE , if we were talking about granting Dolphins equal rights that at least would be assigning rights to a proven socially benign species that we could coexist with. Fortunately mankind has shown a predilection for remaining at the apex of the planetary species pyramid so this is so much youthful idealism not a pragmatic view of how we operate as a species.

I don't know what point you are trying to make about dolphins. Also, how we tend to operate as a species is irrelevant to the question at hand, which is what we ought to do in this hypothetical situation. What we ought to do for dolphins is not relevant to what we ought to do for a machine. Nor is the possible social impacts that might occur if the AI were to become more intelligent and more mentally adept than us.

Edited by stars2heaven

Also my statement is correct that no object created is equal to it's creator. When has this ever not been true.

Well the hypothetical we are dealing with has to do a machine that is atleast equal to us in terms of its mental capabilities. This may be impossible in reality, but for the purposes of this discussion we are assuming it to be true.

So, are you saying that despite it's mental capabilities being atleast equal to our own that it is still somehow unequal to us in some way? Please explain.

So based on assumptions that any type of AI would be maligned towards humans they should by default be oppressed.

We have not created AI. All of this is assumed, except for my statement, which is has been proven, over and over. I ask it again.

no object created is equal to it's creator. When has this ever not been true.

equal in what way?

A car is faster than any human. An knife sharper than any human nail. A hammer harder than any fist. A bulldozer stronger than any person, ever. Computers can already do all sorts of things more efficiently, and can compute many things far more quickly than any human brain is capable.

But I don't see the relevance of your question. Are you trying to imply that because something hasn't been accomplished that it can't be accomplished? That is a logical fallacy called Ad Ignorantium. It would be making an inappropriate appeal to ignorance. Who is to say that some machine in the future could not possess the culmination of all these things which are greater than us, including a superior intellect? Regardless of the answer this is not the purpose of this thread and I hope that you would answer the question I posed to you in the post above this one.

Edited by stars2heaven