200 years on and technology is still the same

egg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to the OP's question ought to be fairly simple. There may be other factors which contribute, but magic is the main reason technology does not progress much in Tamriel. There is no good reason to pursue technological advancement in that world. For them, magic can do far more with less effort. In terms of what they are actually capable of doing I'd say they are just as advanced as us, if not more so. Everything we can do with our technology magic can do atleast as well, if not better in the world of Tamriel.

I'm guessing that the Dwemer had a lot more impact on the thought of technological advances than we think - We know that they had steam-powered devices but failed to share such technology, and remember that they were not very well-liked by their neighbors, the Alyeids, Chimer and ancient Nords.

Meh, technology isnt supposed to advance in fantasy :P That's what they have rare artifacts and magic for. The only thing that constantly develops are the plans of evil dudes to take over/destroy the world! And I'm happy with that ;D

This is something I've often thought about with games like this that wind the time on so much. Why is it after 200 years the technology is exactly how it is in Oblivion and Morrowind. All the armour and swords are made of the same stuff, the architecture is probably the same as well. They havent invented more advanced weapons such as crossbows, cannons (of course these would need gun powder), catapults, trebuchets, etc.

Im not saying they should have cars and guns (cant think of anything I'd want less in an elder scrolls game), but it seems to me that they make very little progress as time moves on. Especially considering the fact that they have magic to make life even easier. I know they may not progress the same way as we have, but they managed to get to stone castles, swords, bows and armour so it seems reasonable to expect them to advance somewhat.

I personally would rather them just wind time on a few years and not change much in terms of in game technology. But if they advance it 200 years it does beg the question of why they don't progress.

I just wondered what other peoples views are on this, and am I missing something? Has magic made them lazy? :biggrin:

Technology didn't change for thousands of years in real history...Why would you assume that it would change in Tamriel in a few hundred? Especially when they DO have magick to help them along?