200 years on and technology is still the same

egg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO EVOLUTION! WOULD RUIN THE ELDER SCROLLS GAMES!

If you want evolution, go play Fable.

Evolution within appropriate bounds.... fable would not be appropriate.

The OP has a point, just not a good one with just 200 years of time. And I am in agreement that the technological path would surely be different than our own.

I think a good reason technology just doesn't catch up is because magic can do so much. There's some technology at work like the one blackwood company had in oblivion, so the making of machines does not seem entirely lost.

Maybe also the sudden disappearance of the dwemer puts some kind of a damper on research, why would you want to go in the direction of electricity, steam power and all that, if it seemed like that very technology wiped them off the face of earth...

I would not mind firearms in elder scrolls, but not machine guns or anything like that, just cruddy manual reload rifles/handguns that cost a small fortune to maintain and use, that'd be OK with me. Maybe not in skyrim, but maybe in a title set at a later date. I mean, there's some allusions to east asian cultures in morrowind, and they were really early with firearms, even if it was merely a metal pipe with some explosives lit in fire throwing out shrapnel or whatever.

It took a good long while until we got fancy stuff like matchlock guns, and those kinda sucked. It took up until the 17th century until flintlock firearms started appearing!

Guns got so many things going against them in the TES world. Not only does magic replace guns pretty well, rich lords and such surround themselves with mages and magical weaponry. And if you have that sort of firepower, why would you even BOTHER with firearms? Perhaps a magically stunted/abstaining race would put research into it, but I doubt that.

Guns in TES could work in terms of setting, but they would most probably be really primitive and unreliable.

Its true when people in this thread says technology was kind milling along slowly as the years passed by for a long while, then all of a sudden it just took off like mad and we got all these guns, electricity, vaccines and it was just scientific breakthrough after another.

I wouldn't mind a TES set in some kind of renaissance south/mid Europe inspired setting, but I don't think bethesda wants to take the games in that direction. And that's ok with me.

Edited by Ultimatepurge

I've always thought that art of high magic does suppresses technological innovation, especially when magic is as prevalent as it is in TES world. For two reasons; first is practicality and cost effectiveness. Why spend the time collecting resources building siege weapons such as trebuchets and cannons when mages can cast fire storms acid rain, lighening storms and earthquakes to bring down castle walls?

The second reason is more insidious, I am certain that there is clandestine effort within the mage guild to sabotage all technological advancements. After all if the mundane population ever found effective substitutes for magic the mages would find themselves out of business. It is entirely possible that this mage collective had a hand in the disappearance of the Dwemer.

Actually there has been a lot of tech and magical changes in TES world, in Tamriel at least. Birthsigns and attributes have been found to nothing more superstition and charlatan hooey. Spell creation has become a lost art. Spells for levitation and teleportation have been forgotten. Along with other technical advances, how to craft and use cross bows and spears has been forgotten. These things now remain in the long past golden years of Tamriel. Perhaps we are now entering the dark ages between eras? We should see.

Actually there has been a lot of tech and magical changes in TES world, in Tamriel at least. Birthsigns and attributes have been found to nothing more superstition and charlatan hooey.

It's hard to say attributes are superstition >.>

ignored yes,

but how do you say a child has the same strength as an adult... this seasoned adventurer has same speed as a cripple...

:/

Im sorry for nitpicking, it's just attributes dont fit into that.

Good points aside from that.

Makes me wonder what kinda of quests they could involve with the mages guild to that effect.

Actually there has been a lot of tech and magical changes in TES world, in Tamriel at least. Birthsigns and attributes have been found to nothing more superstition and charlatan hooey.

It's hard to say attributes are superstition >.>

ignored yes,

but how do you say a child has the same strength as an adult... this seasoned adventurer has same speed as a cripple...

:/

Im sorry for nitpicking, it's just attributes dont fit into that.

Good points aside from that.

Makes me wonder what kinda of quests they could involve with the mages guild to that effect.

Thanks and no problem with the nitpicking. Just pointing out that things have changed in Tamriel's last 200 years. Is it progression or regression, I don't know. As for attributes I am at a loss on how to explain what was 8 is now 3. Perhaps it was due some wild mage's genetic engineering spell gone awry on a global scale? Like that mage in oblivion that inadvertantly turned a whole village invisible. Not to worry it'll wearoff in month or a year, maybe.

Thanks and no problem with the nitpicking. Just pointing out that things have changed in Tamriel's last 200 years. Is it progression or regression, I don't know. As for attributes I am at a loss on how to explain what was 8 is now 3. Perhaps it was due some wild mage's genetic engineering spell gone awry on a global scale? Like that mage in oblivion that inadvertantly turned a whole village invisible. Not to worry it'll wearoff in month or a year, maybe.

Well... its simple really... the game takes a lot of "assumptions" about the player...

*Your gonna be an adult, your gonna be physically able for all sorts of weaponry, rather you like it or not.

*Your gonna have the natural protential to be charming, rather you actually practice it or not.

*Your gonna have the same speed as everyone else, because no one is more talented or can possibly train to run faster.

this reasoning goes on and on,... but I think its rather stupid and no 'real' explaination can ever be made- other than a characters physical and mental abilities are standardized and out of our control. (you could just pretend that your character has no real way of measuring this and therefore doesn't know how he compares to the average joe.)

Anyhow, back to topic. technology would be in recession over those 200 years, I think your right on that.... 200 years and theres still revolt, still struggles and battles over imperial rule. Not much room for technological advancement(unless you consider that the military comes out with a nice bit of the techonology we get)

The second reason is more insidious, I am certain that there is clandestine effort within the mage guild to sabotage all technological advancements. After all if the mundane population ever found effective substitutes for magic the mages would find themselves out of business. It is entirely possible that this mage collective had a hand in the disappearance of the Dwemer.

Under world TES timeline, the Dwemers disappeared at the end of "The War of the First Council" (1E 668 - 1E 700). The Mages Guild was founded by Vanus Galerion in the early years of the Second Era (in 2E 230). That was 2450 years after the disappearance of the Dwemers.

But maybe psijics can do of this, Psijic Order is far more older, first mentioned in the year 1E 20. (But psijics are not same as mages.)

IMHO mages guild (or psijic) does not need "sabotage" technological progress. Tamriel community itself does not create pressure to develop technology, still is not at sufficient level of social development.

Production of goods is handcrafting, mining is only "under the surface", food production is still the "individual".

Missing manufactory method of production, in-depth mining, large plantations. Missing banking system with free financial capital too.

Edited by Semtex

I dont think The Elder Scrolls series will ever need technology, appart from the Dwarvern ruins.

Because it will never fit in, the elder scrolls is about losing yourself in a world compleetly unlike ours so i dont want technology in the series.