Assassination of US Citizens

draconix

Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan, two criminal US citizens were assassinated by the US government. This bold-faced denial to their rights to a trial by Jury effectively shakes our foundation as a nation. In this action, this administration usurped the power of the Jucicial branch altogether, playing judge, jury, and executioner.

So I have to ask, why and when is this justified?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two criminal US citizens

That's why. It's like saying policemen are unjustified to shoot at criminals if they use violence against them. Judging by these criminals' names, they're probably domestic terrorists.

We're at war. They're aided the enemy in significant ways. That makes them an enemy. Just because they were born in the US does not give them the right to do whatever they want against our country.

two criminal US citizens

That's why. It's like saying policemen are unjustified to shoot at criminals if they use violence against them. Judging by these criminals' names, they're probably domestic terrorists.

You're analogy is a bad one imo. Police have no powers for assassination. It's entirely different to stab someone with a poison tipped umbrella as they are going about their business to having an armed confrontation which is resolved by taking them out.

I think you will find the applicable laws under "treason".

And for the record, my vow was to protect the flag from all enemies, foreign and domestic. It wasn't a police action. It was a military action.

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

Your not allowed to assassinate US citizens under treason. Did congress pass anything that strictly states you can assassinate US citizens?

Also people are charged with treason, and the criminal justice system still takes place. You don't commit treason and get killed without a fair trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iva_Toguri

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoya_Kawakita

While the death penalty is a valid punishment for treason (which is a terrible idea imo), you still have to have a trial.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

I think you will find the applicable laws under "treason".

And for the record, my vow was to protect the flag from all enemies, foreign and domestic. It wasn't a police action. It was a military action.

It's rare but I so do enjoy it when we are on the same page. :thumbsup:

The sanction was legal and appropriate and I won't lose a minute of sleep over their demise.