DDP MY MODS ARE DOWN, COMMENCE ATTACK ON BETHESDAS MAIN PLATFORM

DDProductions83

I'm a bit confused. Is all this happening because some people are stealing mods? If so, I don't understand how "attacking" bethesda.net will help anything. Is it the greatest mod hosting site? No. Could they do more to respond to claims of stolen mods? Absolutely. But declaring "war" on a website and the people who use it, guilty or not, won't accomplish anything productive. And why is everyone getting angry at console users for daring to want mods for consoles? Or for bethesda.net hosting console mods? It just makes no sense to me.

As a mod maker myself, I deeply understand the frustration of seeing your work stolen. I really do. But come on people, let's dial down the internet outrage a bit before the shitstorm results in something truly unfortunate...like bethesda restricting modding altogether.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey pobatti, I know you're reading this thread you troll. ANYONE WITH A GARBAGE LAPTOP AND 60 BUCKS can grab fallout 4 dl the creation kit and re-upload a mod, that DOES NOT MAKE THEM A PC GAMER.

IF someone doesn't want to support console, it doesn't give you the right to steal their work and reup it on bethesda.aids. In the case of DD he was working on support, someone stole a mod he knew would break on console (and did, go figure) before he could fix it.

"hello Nexus, what makes debugging Fallout 4 for a single hardware-locked console without a console harder than debugging a game you wrote that has problems with about 20 graphics cards you don't own anyway?" Because any one of those graphics cards are more technologically advanced than the shitbox one and you have to dumb the mod down to work on ancient hardware or it will break saves and crash games. There are already people locked out from the menus and unable to disable mods for fallout 4 on console because mods that were incompatible were uploaded.

such an aggravating moron.

While I disapprove of taking your ball and hiding it in the ground so the other boys can't play with it because one of them is an a**hole, I acknowledge that it may be the only way to get Bethesda to actually listen.

I left the ones up other people are working on :P I hope... Theres a lot I mighta fubared something

I can understand the frustration of modders who've had their work stolen but I have to agree that starting a flame war or spewing out hate isn't going to help. As a popular modder you have a duty to try to remain level headed so as to not send out a legion of fans looking for a witch to burn. By all means be angry at bethesda but use that anger in a way that is constructive and can bring about positive change with out a crap ton of collateral damage. We have to be better than bethesda is acting and be better than the people stealing the mods. Is it hard? Hell yes it's hard but the only way we "win" is by sticking to the high ground and remaining rational.

See this is a common misunderstanding of me, people try to play it off as I'm raging etc etc, when this has all been calculated and level headed. Also I am under NO such obligation or duty to anyone for anything of that matter. I know how companys work and operate. The entire thing stinks like its corporate big wigs who do not understand gamers forcing bethesda to do things and making allocations here and there and the whole thing just screwballs down with us being the ones who get railed.

Robin if you're running around, tell them what would happen if ten thousand people started harassing the nexus to fix a problem, not a made up problem, but a justified one. Bear in mind while I am calling for raising hell and burning them at the stake, the vast majority of people will now report more, be proactive, spam the forums with things they think is wrong etc, and if 10% cause chaos, oh well, bethesda has a system in place that half rewards chaos. This is the same issue I had with paid modding, it wasn't the idea that was flawed, it was the foundation they started with, their foundation was made of rotten wood built on a swamp, and people (Like some in this chat who called for calm blah blah) Said 'give it time', NO. A companys response to time, especially when it's clearly people without gamers interest at the forfront making the decisions, is to do nothing, they will assume it is working, put the least amount of money/effort into it, and go about their merry. The fine line is causing enough chaos to force them to change, while not enough to force them to scrap the whole thing.

I am not enough to force them to scrap the whole thing, if I am, well then hells bells Imma be able to get er up for weeks now wooooooo. I am hoping this allows bethesda a bit more control for the ones who want to help modders out and allows their voice to not be shrugged off as it clearly has. If that voice was never there in the first place.. F um. Burn it to the ground.

I'm a bit confused. Is all this happening because some people are stealing mods? If so, I don't understand how "attacking" bethesda.net will help anything. Is it the greatest mod hosting site? No. Could they do more to respond to claims of stolen mods? Absolutely. But declaring "war" on a website and the people who use it, guilty or not, won't accomplish anything productive. And why is everyone getting angry at console users for daring to want mods for consoles? Or for bethesda.net hosting console mods? It just makes no sense to me.

As a mod maker myself, I deeply understand the frustration of seeing your work stolen. I really do. But come on people, let's dial down the internet outrage a bit before the shitstorm results in something truly unfortunate...like bethesda restricting modding altogether.

Well seeing as your premise is flawed I will ignore everything after and edify you on the situation. Because if the start were true, the rest may be as well.

some people are not just stealing mods, they are stealing tons of mods, stealing CBBE for one that then allows people to file reports on the ESRB rating which would be totally justified and hurt bethesda if they were followed up on. They are not only stealing mods and bragging about it, they are being lorded as saviors of the console race in comments thus spawning more to steal and upload. Then when they receive their first copyright strike for stealing multiple mods and bragging about it, they do it again and thousands more get the mods. Then when banned, the just make a new account and do it again and brag. You are also not allowed to call them out on the forums, as name shaming people is against the TOS and they have been relatively quick to shut some of those down. Because calling someone a thief is endangering the forum safe space.

Add to this a ton of the mods, like mine, would have corrupted saves over time because SHOCKING the thieves don't know wtf they are doing. This problem was clearly my fault as the thief stated and all blame for broken saves should be directed at me for not working faster and harder and porting the mod sooner.

Now, think about this... If tens of thousands of people (And that is NOT a made up statistic the modding userbase is F'ing huge for console plebs, the cbbe thief had 9k i think in a very short amount of time, mine was 10k or so before it got taken down) Suddenly have completly broken saves, and lose hundreds of hours because of pirated mods, most of which they did not know was pirated, so their rage and vitriol will come back on us, or bethesda, but a metric shitton will come on us. Not to mention they now have broken saves and games that wont even load to the menu etc, because bethesdas way of doing the platform is absolute f*#@ing trash.

Consoles are NOT Pc's, I DGAF if my PC can decimate one, or if they play at 10fps (Besides how hard that makes my low level 5 year old style of scripting), but they are NOT GODDAMN PC'S, they have limited space, saves, ability to troubleshoot mods, and bethesda just went "MODS SILLY FUN TIME GOOD TIME MAKE MUCH MANY MODS FUN GO" and released the dogs of war. Well f*#@.

No ones angry at normal console users, it's just another stupid thing said loudly all over by these plebs to hide the fact that we hate the entitled ones, the berating ones, the ones who support thieves and deride MA's. And sure incoming argument "Not all are like that" But any one of them who sees it happens and says nothing, might as well be one in mybook. They want mods, and modders are working hard to give them that, the stuff gets stolen mid creation or porting, its done badly, it taints the ONLY THING WE GOT which is our name, causes issues later on etc etc etc.

War. War never changes.

In the early 21st century, a company named Bethesda who didn't know their users f*#@ing at all decided to try an experiment. They had these children, all of them new, fresh tot he world, so they gave them candy, but they didn't enforce any candy rules, soon, by around 2016, all they wanted was candy, when the food manufacurers said "No eating only candy is bad, lets make it so you can be healthy and still eat good stuff" The children then revolted. The parents were slow to do anything and manage, soon children were breaking into sugar factories and injecting the sugar into their bloodstreams. After a while some of them began to die off. The ones who were sickly and lived started to blame the good wholesome farmers. "Why did you poison us" They screamed. That's when it started. The first bomb was dropped on the most popular. Elianoras homestead was taken out by a low yeild dirty bomb. Hours later, both sides had unleashed Modular devestation as the farmers started poisoning their crops so when stolen and consumed the children would die off. The whole time the parents, bethesda, sat back and couldn't figure out what they did wrong, because from the start, they were so inept as to need a wiki on how to tie their shoes.

War. War never changes.

So ya, Give um hell boys. Aim at bethesda, and unleash whatever you want.

Well seeing as your premise is flawed I will ignore everything after and edify you on the situation. Because if the start were true, the rest may be as well.

some people are not just stealing mods, they are stealing tons of mods, stealing CBBE for one that then allows people to file reports on the ESRB rating which would be totally justified and hurt bethesda if they were followed up on. They are not only stealing mods and bragging about it, they are being lorded as saviors of the console race in comments thus spawning more to steal and upload. Then when they receive their first copyright strike for stealing multiple mods and bragging about it, they do it again and thousands more get the mods. Then when banned, the just make a new account and do it again and brag. You are also not allowed to call them out on the forums, as name shaming people is against the TOS and they have been relatively quick to shut some of those down. Because calling someone a thief is endangering the forum safe space.

Add to this a ton of the mods, like mine, would have corrupted saves over time because SHOCKING the thieves don't know wtf they are doing. This problem was clearly my fault as the thief stated and all blame for broken saves should be directed at me for not working faster and harder and porting the mod sooner.

Now, think about this... If tens of thousands of people (And that is NOT a made up statistic the modding userbase is F'ing huge for console plebs, the cbbe thief had 9k i think in a very short amount of time, mine was 10k or so before it got taken down) Suddenly have completly broken saves, and lose hundreds of hours because of pirated mods, most of which they did not know was pirated, so their rage and vitriol will come back on us, or bethesda, but a metric shitton will come on us. Not to mention they now have broken saves and games that wont even load to the menu etc, because bethesdas way of doing the platform is absolute f***ing trash.

Consoles are NOT Pc's, I DGAF if my PC can decimate one, or if they play at 10fps (Besides how hard that makes my low level 5 year old style of scripting), but they are NOT GODDAMN PC'S, they have limited space, saves, ability to troubleshoot mods, and bethesda just went "MODS SILLY FUN TIME GOOD TIME MAKE MUCH MANY MODS FUN GO" and released the dogs of war. Well f***.

No ones angry at normal console users, it's just another stupid thing said loudly all over by these plebs to hide the fact that we hate the entitled ones, the berating ones, the ones who support thieves and deride MA's. And sure incoming argument "Not all are like that" But any one of them who sees it happens and says nothing, might as well be one in mybook. They want mods, and modders are working hard to give them that, the stuff gets stolen mid creation or porting, its done badly, it taints the ONLY THING WE GOT which is our name, causes issues later on etc etc etc.

War. War never changes.

In the early 21st century, a company named Bethesda who didn't know their users f***ing at all decided to try an experiment. They had these children, all of them new, fresh tot he world, so they gave them candy, but they didn't enforce any candy rules, soon, by around 2016, all they wanted was candy, when the food manufacurers said "No eating only candy is bad, lets make it so you can be healthy and still eat good stuff" The children then revolted. The parents were slow to do anything and manage, soon children were breaking into sugar factories and injecting the sugar into their bloodstreams. After a while some of them began to die off. The ones who were sickly and lived started to blame the good wholesome farmers. "Why did you poison us" They screamed. That's when it started. The first bomb was dropped on the most popular. Elianoras homestead was taken out by a low yeild dirty bomb. Hours later, both sides had unleashed Modular devestation as the farmers started poisoning their crops so when stolen and consumed the children would die off. The whole time the parents, bethesda, sat back and couldn't figure out what they did wrong, because from the start, they were so inept as to need a wiki on how to tie their shoes.

War. War never changes.

Okay, moving on to a more relevant question: what are you (and everyone else participating in this "war") hoping to to accomplish? What's your end goal?

That's a serious question, not a rhetorical one. Because I really don't think that choosing the "nuclear" option here is going to get the result you want.

Edit: I should probably add that I do understand the severity of the problem, now that you've explained it. I like I said - I've been where you are personally. People have stolen my mods. It's terrible, not just for us, but for the community and ultimately for Bethesda. But attacking bethesda partially for not being able to see the future and anticipate everything that could go wrong isn't going to get these problems resolved. It might force bethesda to respond, but there's no guarantee that they'll respond in a way that's favorable.

Edited by steelfeathers

Now, think about this... If tens of thousands of people (And that is NOT a made up statistic the modding userbase is F'ing huge for console plebs, the cbbe thief had 9k i think in a very short amount of time, mine was 10k or so before it got taken down) Suddenly have completly broken saves, and lose hundreds of hours because of pirated mods, most of which they did not know was pirated, so their rage and vitriol will come back on us, or bethesda, but a metric shitton will come on us. Not to mention they now have broken saves and games that wont even load to the menu etc, because bethesdas way of doing the platform is absolute f***ing trash.

Consoles are NOT Pc's, I DGAF if my PC can decimate one, or if they play at 10fps (Besides how hard that makes my low level 5 year old style of scripting), but they are NOT GODDAMN PC'S, they have limited space, saves, ability to troubleshoot mods, and bethesda just went "MODS SILLY FUN TIME GOOD TIME MAKE MUCH MANY MODS FUN GO" and released the dogs of war. Well f***.

War. War never changes.

In the early 21st century, a company named Bethesda who didn't know their users f***ing at all decided to try an experiment. They had these children, all of them new, fresh tot he world, so they gave them candy, but they didn't enforce any candy rules, soon, by around 2016, all they wanted was candy, when the food manufacurers said "No eating only candy is bad, lets make it so you can be healthy and still eat good stuff" The children then revolted. The parents were slow to do anything and manage, soon children were breaking into sugar factories and injecting the sugar into their bloodstreams. After a while some of them began to die off. The ones who were sickly and lived started to blame the good wholesome farmers. "Why did you poison us" They screamed. That's when it started. The first bomb was dropped on the most popular. Elianoras homestead was taken out by a low yeild dirty bomb. Hours later, both sides had unleashed Modular devestation as the farmers started poisoning their crops so when stolen and consumed the children would die off. The whole time the parents, bethesda, sat back and couldn't figure out what they did wrong, because from the start, they were so inept as to need a wiki on how to tie their shoes.

War. War never changes.

Okay, moving on to a more relevant question: what are you (and everyone else participating in this "war") hoping to to accomplish? What's your end goal?

That's a serious question, not a rhetorical one. Because I really don't think that choosing the "nuclear" option here is going to get the result you want.

Ya it is, as I stated before, if I and the people who listen to me, have the power to blow their whole website up, I will actually fap to my own awesomeness for like a month. That is not what is going to happen, they will fix their s#*!, or they will leave it as is, the second one was their default. You make something annoying as f*#@ for a company and they will tend to fix their s#*!. If they bail out of the whole thing now, they lose far far too much, which to be fair they don't make good business decisions anyway so that is a option though a low chance one, but a chance nonetheless.

Besides, my only settings are "Angry seething f*#@tard" and "Calm calculated nuclear reprisal" The people with level heads had a chance, they could have talked ot the community, talked to robin etc etc, same as they had their chance at paid modding, they are too damn arrogant or just stupid or they just don't care. Welp, make them care by hitting their pocket book then. Or make them care by educating them. Or they just wont ever care and were all hosed.

I opt for number one, because I know how business works. It's up to you all to opt for 2 and fight on that front. Hitting them only one way is not going to work, and like I called for numerous times it's probably up to the vast majority of people to fight them on this, from reporting people en mass, to forum posts dictating how things need to change etc. It's bad form to victim blame but in this case it's 100% accurate, they brought this entirely on themselves through so much arrogance that I for one admire. I wish I could be that full of myself sometimes, I try, but the bethesda hubris is a pinnacle I shall still strive for day in and day out.

War. War never changes.

War. War never changes.

LoL if it was not so true that could be the basis for a Southpark Fallout episode, Cartman stealing and uploading mods for console that the others made. Unleashing hell on them untill Cartman is caught and blows up the console network or something with his stolen uploads. Or the boys make a mod that totally ridicules Cartman ingame for revenge lolz

But back on topic, i think it's a serious mistake Bethesda has not released a hardline statement about stealing mods from modders/Nexus and uploading them for consoles.

As soon as they themselves find out a modder has used a asset from, say, FO3 in a NV mod they stomp down hard with legal threaths. If it was my company i would come down hard on those pirates that steal other peoples mods to, come up with something to perma ban them, like the suggested link between Steam account and Bethesda account and/or console network pass.

Even if they do not know how to react yet, though it should be obvious to them, they could at least be honoust and say so. If not basically they are saying it's not ok to steal from us but it is ok to steal from others who use our stuff to create something?

A mod author has the intelectual rights to his mod right? Might be an interesting case if there is some right for the author. If Bethesda does nothing about it they are providing a digital fencing platform and theft of digital goods has been an issue with some legal precedents from mmo's where rare items were stolen from accounts. But i get carried away, that's jumping way ahead of things. Let's see if Beth is going to do something about it first and comes up with decent damage control.

War. War never changes.

War. War never changes.

LoL if it was not so true that could be the basis for a Southpark Fallout episode, Cartman stealing and uploading mods for console that the others made. Unleashing hell on them untill Cartman is caught and blows up the console network or something with his stolen uploads. Or the boys make a mod that totally ridicules Cartman ingame for revenge lolz

But back on topic, i think it's a serious mistake Bethesda has not released a hardline statement about stealing mods from modders/Nexus and uploading them for consoles.

As soon as they themselves find out a modder has used a asset from, say, FO3 in a NV mod they stomp down hard with legal threaths. If it was my company i would come down hard on those pirates that steal other peoples mods to, come up with something to perma ban them, like the suggested link between Steam account and Bethesda account and/or console network pass.

Even if they do not know how to react yet, though it should be obvious to them, they could at least be honoust and say so. If not basically they are saying it's not ok to steal from us but it is ok to steal from others who use our stuff to create something?

A mod author has the intelectual rights to his mod right? Might be an interesting case if there is some right for the author. If Bethesda does nothing about it they are providing a digital fencing platform and theft of digital goods has been an issue with some legal precedents from mmo's where rare items were stolen from accounts. But i get carried away, that's jumping way ahead of things. Let's see if Beth is going to do something about it first and comes up with decent damage control.

The problem is historical precedence, waiting for them t do something means sitting around for 3 weeks, if we do that then their zenimax overlords go "SEE NOTHING WRONG LEAVE AS IS NO OUTCRY", so you either keep the pressure up, or you lose. The ONLY thing we have to fight with, is that public pressure, your opinions don't mean jack all to some corporate schlub sitting in a board room, they could give a crap about you as a modder. But 100,000 angry posts and reports and s***, that they will notice.

EDIT: Also ya that would make a kicking south park episode

Anyone with half a brain could see that this was going to be a s***storm of massive proportions any way it shook out....I mean, you are attempting to take something made on one platform (PC), made for said platform (PC), and shove into into another platform (consoles) and hope like hell it all works. Not all mods will work on consoles due to various reasons (hardware limitations, content restrictions, blah, blah so on and so forth) and when little internet filth steals those mods and posts them on Beth's website in the name of some imagined PC/Console war then it hurts everyone involved. I, for one, could care less one way or the other if consolers gets mods...I'm fine if they do, fine if they don't, BUT it seems that Pandora's Box has been opened and all manner of s*** has escaped into the internet. Sometimes raising hell works, sometimes it doesn't, so we'll have to wait and see which happens. In situations like these I resort to the age old wisdom of "Sometimes you just gotta say WTF!".