Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim

I found that the Morrowind CS layout was much easier to find what you where looking for, also things such as dialog I found to much easier then Oblivion.

As a modeler more then anything else I found it much easier to make higher detailed items and get them in Oblivion with more ease then Morrowind, textureing requires more work in Oblivion though.

The largest difference was the face gen issues, coming from Morrowind it was fairly simple slap a texture on a face mesh and bam your good to go. But really I didnt have any trouble moving from Morrowind to Oblivion in the modding area, mostly just the disappointment of coming from a far superior game to a more inferior was my biggest issue.

I really do not think there is anyway Skyrim can be worse then Oblivion, because hey at least we got more then 10 voice actors doing the whole game.

Face gen I think again will be peoples biggest issue, simply because of all the mods most people have to rely on to make up for Oblivion being a crappy game..at least they can make it look pretty.

Personally I like Skyrims less then perfect people.

well to put it easy at the beginning of oblivion they did not release a cs right off the first mods were hand made literally so if it goes like that then it will be hard at first but will carry on as usually after a little but learning the cs is never hard as it usually is similar.

lets wait and see i personally am not sure if i will be there at the vary beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
If the Skyrim CS is as similar to the Oblivion CS as the Oblivion CS is to the Morrowind CS I expect the transition will be smooth enough for most of us. I think the important thing will be that it's intuitive like the others, rather than the counter-intuitive monstrosities that have deterred me from modding some other popular games.

The Oblivion CS and the FO3 GECK were so similar to me I made the transition without any real issues. Some of the new features added by the GECK were a little confusing but it was easy to figure out what they did with some tinkering.

NOTE: I've used TESsnip and made a Skyrim esp. Looking at that esp (with the Skyrim.esm mastered to it) in FNVEdit, there are a lot of features in Skyrim held over from FO3 and New Vegas. Headparts, armor addons, form lists, etc. There are also a lot of new feartures I wasn't able to identify and I wasn't able to view the dialogue trees in any of the quests or look at any scripting. Oblivion modders might be a little lost at first if they have never modded FO3 or New Vegas.

This all pretty much translates from TES3 onwards. I haven't seen anything that looks like its going to be a major stumbling block. The few mods I did for Morrowind were simply armor retextures and they were hosted on a non-Nexus site thats been down for ages now. Nothing special but my first feet wet experience with the Bethsoft environment.

Morrowind = Oblivion = FO3 = FONV = Skyrim. More or less.

I expect that the Radiant AI system may produce some new opportunities and interesting applications, but overall pretty much everything I've picked up since Morrowind seems to still apply today. Big issue I'm having atm is Nifskope not reading the file headers for TESV nif's...I'm sure someones worked out a fix, I just haven't really bothered looking for it yet. To busy playing to mod right now, other than working some textures/normal maps here and there that I think could be better. I'm mostly 70% playing Skyrim and 30% doing personal edits if I see something that bothers me (like the metal parts of the Saviors Hide Armor not matching the base steel textures for scaled armor...so I reworked that. Though I need to whip out FNVEdit and see if I can strip the enchantments off that item with TESsnip, cause its an excellent light armor model in comparison to Elven/Glass but the base dual enchants are crappy and makes the armor quite limited).

Biggest thing that I know modders will have to trial-and-error with is the switch from pathnodes to navmeshes, and the inclusion of several new elements not seen in Oblivion such as light shafts, dust particles, flora that isn't entirely random, etc. small things that the last game did not have.

Well I never modded Morrowind. However I did a bit of Oblivion stuff and to be honest in regard to static meshes Oblivion was the most straightforward for me. When I moved to Fallout 3 and New Vegas I had real issues getting collision to work for quite a while.

However doing guns in Fallout 3 was quite straightforward and outfits weren't too hard once I got my head around the whole dismemberment thing. Much of what I learned in F3 really helped with FNV and to be honest they were almost identical. Please note I didn't release any stuff for F3 or New Vegas I used to use my modding as a training exercise.

Hopefully Skyrim will be relatively painless too, won't know for sure until we get a fully functional Nifskope, Max Exporter and the Creation Kit, until that happens I'm sticking with texture work.

Biggest thing that I know modders will have to trial-and-error with is the switch from pathnodes to navmeshes, and the inclusion of several new elements not seen in Oblivion such as light shafts, dust particles, flora that isn't entirely random, etc. small things that the last game did not have.

That's all in F3.. It's well documented, so I doubt much trial and error...actually, about those navmeshes... :biggrin:

I used the Morrowind CS mainly for doing houses for my character, even played with some scripted features for them. I did a unique house in Balmora outskirts which I used until today. I loved that CS really, and I managed later to do some clothing. Dialog and quests were always a difficult issue to me, and same occured in Oblivion. There I did mostly retexturing works and house decor as well. I released some mods, not many, but played a lot with Oblivion CS, included the npc's Ai and path nodes. I worked too with collisions and exporting/importing objects. And of course, a lot of nifskopery went alongside with the CS work, which I enjoyed.

What to expect from the new Skyrim CS? I haven't played Fallout 3 nor New Vegas, so in consequence I never used the Geck.

I imagine the difference should be big as most of you say, but I hope the new CS will allow me to manage what I love in TES modding, which is making houses the first ;) then some retexturings and later we'll see ;)

I must confess I was hopeless at modding Morrowind - which probably largely contributed to the fact I stopped playing it very early on.

I found moving on to Oblivion so much easier. Once I understood the basics, it was a very pleasurable experience. (For one reason or another I tend to have a lot of mental brick walls - and I hit a LOT of them with Morrowind.)

Modding Morrowind didn't seem to 'click' with me. Oblivion, on the other hand, everything fell into place and I don't think I've ever enjoyed modding so much. Either way, despite not sticking with Morrowind long-term, I still remember being enthusiastic and excited by trying to mod it to my satisfaction, even if I did fail miserably.

Both games have provided a lot of entertainment on the modding front.

:thumbsup: